Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #11

I think it's important to listen to anyone and everyone when making the decision to buy/not buy the Reissue, especially those who have actually taken possession of their Airflyte and have real camping experiences to share.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

New airflyte

Got mine about three weeks ago.On the way home we stopped for a bite to eat.Got some food and we decided to eat in the new camper.Rolled the front windows open and the top one fell off.Unhooked it and put it away so it wouldn't break.Tapped the hole up so it wouldn't get wet.Stopped for the night at a campground and enjoyed the evening.Got it home a 5 hour ride checked it over and found the wheels were rubbing the wheel wells and had pulled the left one loose.After I washed it the rear window had a leak.The electrical connector is cracked where they overtightened it.Called my local dealer and told them of the problems and was told to take it where I got it?.Called another dealer and got the same response.Guess I am going to have to take it where I got another 5 hour ride each way.Wish now I would have done a lot better job inspecting it.Cant believe the factory would send these out like this.Anybody know how to get ahold of the vp of Shasta.I sent a email to Shasta and still haven't heard back from them.Not a happy camper.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #13

Shasta Aerflyte 16 Problems

I just finished doing all the warranty work myself on my new Aerflyte. Bought it out of state and no local Shasta dealers would touch it. Shasta shipped me most of the parts I needed. Here are some of the issues:
1. Tire clearance - Trailer set too low, tires too big. Tires rub on wheel well, cannot remove wheel from wheel well to change flat tire.
Solution - Shasta sent me longer shackles for leaf springs. This raised trailer 1" more off of tires. Rubbing of tires eliminated.
2. Air conditioner wouldn't work - I removed access plate on outside of trailer and found AC plug was not plugged in. I plugged it in, AC works great. When I was in AC compartment I noticed lots of construction debris in condensate drain tray. Clean this up as it will plug condensate drain.
3. No ventilation holes on cabinet door for cooling fan on power panel (converter). I drilled small holes in bottom of door, fan can now get cool air so panel won't over-heat.
4. Upholstery cushion backs not secured, they always fell forward and slid around - I got a roll of 1/2" wide velcro tape and secured the cushion backs.
5. Access door latch failure - keyway for deadbolt lasted four weeks then failed. Door was locked shut. I had to crawl in through storage compartment by dinette. Door still wouldn't open, I had to crawl out, get Vicegrips and screwdriver, and crawl back in (I'm 70 yrs old, great fun). Removed inside cover plate and with Vicegrips was able to open deadbolt. Shasta shipped me new lockset. There are two locks (keyways) on this lockset. Only use the upper one (latch) to lock trailer from the outside. Do not use the lower (deadbolt) keyway. Only use the deadbolt from the inside as a night security lock. You'll notice how hard it is to turn the key on the deadbolt, these lacks are made in China and are poorly designed. Nice chrome though.
6.Replacing broken window glass - Hehr did a nice job on these windows however replacing broken glass can be a problem. The front 17" x 19" glass on my trailer broke. Shasta recommended a new window and frame from Hehr that would cost me about $200 incl. shipping. I elected to have a mobile auto glass guy come out and replace the window, that cost me $89. The problem though is getting the adhesive (putty) to match the color that Hehr uses, this is visible through the edge of the glass. Luckily mine matches pretty well.

I have made other cosmetic changes to my Aerflyte and have to say it is drop dead gorgeous. It turns heads when I tow it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #14

If I had to do it all over again. This camper would not be in my driveway.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Regarding the clearance, do you now have 4" or more? If not, I would still be concerned.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #16

Also, not being argumentative, but no way is that AC working without building some ductwork. Okay, perhaps if the trailer is sitting inside a refrigerated warehouse, maybe it's working...sort of.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #17

One more, I know of several people whose door flew open while towing because it wasn't secured with the deadbolt. I sure hope we can find a replacement locket that is reliable.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

Removing the tire.

Has anyone tried to remove a tire. I jacked it up at the frame, letting the axle hang and without letting the air out, that tire will not come out of the wheel well. In a case of a flat tire are we supposed to remove the flat tire, replace with a spare that is also flat and fill the spare tire up with air. Maybe someone from Shasta can remark on this matter.

Tags
shasta