Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Calling all Shasta Airflyte owners

Hello all
Brand new to forum and could use some advice. Seriously considering the Shasta Airflyte re issue. Would love to get some feedback from current owners ... What are the problems? Would you recommend?
Would you do it again?
Thank you in advance for any and all comments
Anne

Atkinghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Shasta Airflyte...

I'll let you know. I'm picking up a red 19 foot this Wednesday....

McHoop

McHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

I picked mine up today. 19ft Butternut Yellow.

Will be going over it this weekend
regalrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Take a look around this forum, no shortage of issues for the Reissue.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Aerflyte tire removal

I just got home with my new Aerflyte 16. Tried to remove the tire to see if my spare fits. It wont come out of the wheel well. Anybody else have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinghorn View Post
Hello all
Brand new to forum and could use some advice. Seriously considering the Shasta Airflyte re issue. Would love to get some feedback from current owners ... What are the problems? Would you recommend?
Would you do it again?
Thank you in advance for any and all comments
Anne
howdy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

Was worried about this...those wheel wells are too damn small.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

My guess is Shasta will tell you to deflate it.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

Picked up my Shasta...

Yesterday, we picked up our Shasta at Mt. Comfort RV in Greenfield, Indiana. So far, so good. I went over many of the issues pointed out in this forum and was pleased to find out that this particular dealer was aware of them and had already addressed them, ie; seals around windows, a/c fan switch, adding additional support for the bench bed frame, etc.

They were also quick to replace a large cabinet door(the one you immediately see at ground level when entering the unit) due to a marred finish. I had a scratched refrigerator door and that is on order.

They took plenty of time with us; going over operations, set up, towing and maintenance. In fact, they were very gracious and clearly serviced oriented.

I found it interesting that they said we were one of the first owners locally here in Indiana to pick up a 19' unit. They said alot of their buyers are from all over the U.S. I guess we're pretty fortunate to be 30 minutes away from our dealer.

Now, with the unit off the lot, the proof will be in the pudding but all early indications are that this particular dealer will be supportive of any needs or issues we have.

McHoop
McHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

We ordered the 19 Butternut and could not be happier with our purchase. I know many many people who have made the same purchase and are just as thrilled as we are. Funny how forums tend to draw the attention of someone seeking out to complain rather than the ones who are thrilled and proud to be owners. The industry portrays your relationship with your dealership to be very important to your satisfaction. So buy from a dealership that cares enough to research the product and know the trailer inside and out just like you would as a consumer. Would I buy this trailer again? YES in a heart beat! I wish I could get one in each of the 3 colors. I'm so happy to be among the first owners of this Historic Limited Edition!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Identifying manufacturing defects, quality issues, design and engineering deficiencies that are well documented and backed up with both pictorial and anecdotal evidence are not complaints. These are facts. For the most part they are intelligently identified, documented and then when found followed up with solutions that have been used to resolve the problems.

McHoop's relatively good experience stated just above is due in large part to people on these forums identifying the problems well in advance of his/her purchase. Thirty years ago Manufacturers could pump out junk safe in the knowledge that their shoddy practices would go unidentified and unpublicized - and they generally got away with it. That is no longer the case.

These forums are the first line of defense for consumers against unfair trade and practices. The emphasis here is on the word FIRST as there are certainly other avenues that can be pursued. For those of us with legitimate, documented issues we'd love nothing more than for the Shasta President Mark Lucas himself to step up to the plate, acknowledge these issues (and especially those of us who purchased first run production models) and take responsibility for correcting the problems. Why is that expectation unfair?

These are truly unique to the market, and I personally applaud Mr. Lucas and Shasta for having the intestinal fortitude to bring the re-issue to market. What is unfortunate is that the enthusiasm did not appear to follow through to the execution (build) phase. I'm going to venture a guess that you're researching this purchase, becoming familiar with identified issues and you will make the choice that is right for you - a well thought out and intelligent decision. You may even find a dealer as conscientious as McHoop's and you too will reap the benefits of this forum.

Bottom line - despite all the problems people are experiencing - this is as close as you can get to classic American style and design at its best short of an original.
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

I think it's important to listen to anyone and everyone when making the decision to buy/not buy the Reissue, especially those who have actually taken possession of their Airflyte and have real camping experiences to share.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #12

New airflyte

Got mine about three weeks ago.On the way home we stopped for a bite to eat.Got some food and we decided to eat in the new camper.Rolled the front windows open and the top one fell off.Unhooked it and put it away so it wouldn't break.Tapped the hole up so it wouldn't get wet.Stopped for the night at a campground and enjoyed the evening.Got it home a 5 hour ride checked it over and found the wheels were rubbing the wheel wells and had pulled the left one loose.After I washed it the rear window had a leak.The electrical connector is cracked where they overtightened it.Called my local dealer and told them of the problems and was told to take it where I got it?.Called another dealer and got the same response.Guess I am going to have to take it where I got another 5 hour ride each way.Wish now I would have done a lot better job inspecting it.Cant believe the factory would send these out like this.Anybody know how to get ahold of the vp of Shasta.I sent a email to Shasta and still haven't heard back from them.Not a happy camper.
bigblockrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #13

Shasta Aerflyte 16 Problems

I just finished doing all the warranty work myself on my new Aerflyte. Bought it out of state and no local Shasta dealers would touch it. Shasta shipped me most of the parts I needed. Here are some of the issues:
1. Tire clearance - Trailer set too low, tires too big. Tires rub on wheel well, cannot remove wheel from wheel well to change flat tire.
Solution - Shasta sent me longer shackles for leaf springs. This raised trailer 1" more off of tires. Rubbing of tires eliminated.
2. Air conditioner wouldn't work - I removed access plate on outside of trailer and found AC plug was not plugged in. I plugged it in, AC works great. When I was in AC compartment I noticed lots of construction debris in condensate drain tray. Clean this up as it will plug condensate drain.
3. No ventilation holes on cabinet door for cooling fan on power panel (converter). I drilled small holes in bottom of door, fan can now get cool air so panel won't over-heat.
4. Upholstery cushion backs not secured, they always fell forward and slid around - I got a roll of 1/2" wide velcro tape and secured the cushion backs.
5. Access door latch failure - keyway for deadbolt lasted four weeks then failed. Door was locked shut. I had to crawl in through storage compartment by dinette. Door still wouldn't open, I had to crawl out, get Vicegrips and screwdriver, and crawl back in (I'm 70 yrs old, great fun). Removed inside cover plate and with Vicegrips was able to open deadbolt. Shasta shipped me new lockset. There are two locks (keyways) on this lockset. Only use the upper one (latch) to lock trailer from the outside. Do not use the lower (deadbolt) keyway. Only use the deadbolt from the inside as a night security lock. You'll notice how hard it is to turn the key on the deadbolt, these lacks are made in China and are poorly designed. Nice chrome though.
6.Replacing broken window glass - Hehr did a nice job on these windows however replacing broken glass can be a problem. The front 17" x 19" glass on my trailer broke. Shasta recommended a new window and frame from Hehr that would cost me about $200 incl. shipping. I elected to have a mobile auto glass guy come out and replace the window, that cost me $89. The problem though is getting the adhesive (putty) to match the color that Hehr uses, this is visible through the edge of the glass. Luckily mine matches pretty well.

I have made other cosmetic changes to my Aerflyte and have to say it is drop dead gorgeous. It turns heads when I tow it.
howdy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #14

If I had to do it all over again. This camper would not be in my driveway.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #15

Regarding the clearance, do you now have 4" or more? If not, I would still be concerned.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #16

Also, not being argumentative, but no way is that AC working without building some ductwork. Okay, perhaps if the trailer is sitting inside a refrigerated warehouse, maybe it's working...sort of.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #17

One more, I know of several people whose door flew open while towing because it wasn't secured with the deadbolt. I sure hope we can find a replacement locket that is reliable.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #18

Removing the tire.

Has anyone tried to remove a tire. I jacked it up at the frame, letting the axle hang and without letting the air out, that tire will not come out of the wheel well. In a case of a flat tire are we supposed to remove the flat tire, replace with a spare that is also flat and fill the spare tire up with air. Maybe someone from Shasta can remark on this matter.

pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta