Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Cargo Trailer Conversion?

I don't want to hijack this forum, but not sure where to ask this question. We still use the 5er but wife joined an all-womens group who typically camp with refurbished campers. Many have put almost as much into one as they would have spent buying a new retro. I really didn't want to spend that much time and effort and money on an old unit and couldn't afford to buy another new trailer. So I am starting with a new 10 ft. v-nose cargo trailer. I ordered with AC/heat pump and windows. I have insulated the walls/ceiling and wired for 110 vac. I installed a wall to provide privacy up front in the V-nose for a porta-potty. I built a bench seat that slides out to make a twin bed. I also laid vinyl tile on floor. Kitchen counter in is place and next project is to install a sink.

Some might think I'm crazy.... But.... with the removal of two screws I can remove the bed an I can now haul 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and 2 x 4's. I also have the advantage of removing everything at some point in time and selling as a cargo trailer. When I ordered it, I got the ramp tailgate.

Any others out there??

2012 Sabre 250RLUD
2011 GMC 1500 Sierra
Max Tow, 6.2, 3.73
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
I don't think there are many on here, but if you google "trailer stealth camping" you can get a whole list of different sites. Not to say you are "stealth camping".. just that they do a ton of different builds and mods and such on their cargo trailers.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Nancy wants to do something like that with our 2 horse slant load steel trailer. Its 18' long with only 2 stalls so the tack area is about 7' on the short wall.Her and one of her friends have the inside all marked off and plan on gutting our old Kenworth MH for cabs and appliances.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
I did a light conversion to my Hercules 14x7. Insulated walls, ceiling; ran electric with breaker box for outlets, lights; added roof AC, Fantastic Fan, propane heater with t'stat; windows. No plumbing; fashioned a sink from a SS mixing bowl with catch bucket under. Left it bare inside so can still use to haul motorcycles, etc. Plastic shelving for microwave, coffee maker, plastic drawer stacks. Use cots, small table and chairs for furniture.

Has been great. Perfect for dry camping, hunting. Recently upgraded to the MicroLite, but it will stay at the lake so we'll still use the 'tramper'.
2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2006 Suburban 2500 8.1 L
220Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
I've been looking at doing something like that also. Primarily for those spur of the moment trips that wouldn't be possible if we had to hook up the "Big" one. I also want to put an observation platform on top so we could use it for our annual Daytona 500 trip.
Retired Army CW4 - "Waterborne"
2005 Chevy 2500 crew cab with Duramax/Allison
2014 Lacrosse 327RES

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote