Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Has anyone camped in the Airflyte yet?

Just wondering if anyone has camped in their Shasta yet. How did it go. Any problems. I'm still working on mine trying to get it ready.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Yes. No issues except the AC. You can read about the issues in other threads. It also rained so I got to check for any leaks.
regalrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

We've camped a total of six nights, all in good weather. No problems during those stays, but as regal says, lots of issues I've been fixing in between trips.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #4

We camped about 6 nights on two trips. Only real problem was A/C which I was already aware of and the tires rubbing in the wheel well which we noticed afterward. We have it at dealership for warranty work now.
buckhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #5

Have camped three times for about 9 nights. I have a 16' production number 417. Found many of the same issues that others have experienced in earlier threads regarding a/c unit, wheelwell /tire clearance, and black water tank valve leaking. Took it to the authorized dealer for warranty repairs. The corrections were made but the a/c still does not work adequately. The dealer is talking to Shasta about the possibility of replacing the a/c unit with one that will fit in the same cabinet but with more BTUs or roof mounting an a/c unit which is common on many RVs. Waiting on a response from Shasta. The dealer also checked for recalls while they had the trailer and found that there was one covering an issue where the front of the trailer body was not adequately connected to the frame. They ordered the repair parts and fixed the problem.
ctairflyte417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Please, more information on the "trailer body was not adequately connected to the frame" issue. I don't think that's a proper recall, but perhaps some kind of technical service bulletin?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

3 months on the road.

Just returned from 3 months on the road in Canada and Alaska. Small repairs all the way but nothing major. Did the AC upgrade on the road in Fairbanks thanks to my local sheet metal shop. Anyone who wants to do the the long haul, stock up on a selection of screws and battery powered tools with all the bits for Philips, Roberts, 1/4"&5/16 hex and drill bits for pilot holes. Some 16 ga. sheet metal strapping to rehang the plumbing. Caulking gun and silicon to plug all the holes in the fender wells and some glazers Urethane to repair the window falling out(jalousie pane).
Any travel over dust or mud the tow vehicle will fill the trailer thru the AC vent. It comes in under the cabinets through all the holes in cabinet walls. Plug all these holes and put a cover over the AC vent. (Don't forget to remove it when using the AC)Our problems were small compared to some other RVers had encountered along the road. We were in the middle nowhere and to be tooled-up. Have a good trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	87434  
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Douglaslive, Sorry I don't have much more information. The dealer found this issue and fixed it without me asking them to. They said it was a recall issue. Their work order said "front body not attached to frame". They "replaced metal frame and diecuts". They said that this is a common problem with this trailer and that is why the looked for it. I would contact a authorized dealer near you and ask a few questions.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

Nahanni,
good suggestions. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

Our front panel was replaced before we took possession. They may have called it a "recall," but the only word from NHTSA is this:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...IY8P77PNI3F03D
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

i have used mine a few time in the small windows its not in the shop!

1st trip was the worst! it rained every night and we found that i couldnt use the AC cause it was like a heater instead of the AC! we thought maybe it was cooling cause we got to camp late because the night before i was loading stuff in my camper and the door got jammed and i couldn't open it!! So we had to go 45 min in the opposite direction from the campground to head to the dealership that morning instead of camp! was at dealership from 9:30 AM till 5:30 pm for them to fix my door so we could go camping later that day!! well that made us late getting to camp right before dark i called ahead so the campground gave me the gate number and left my card to hang on the site outside office so i could set up once i made it! it rained so we turned on the AC well it never got hot seemed to just get hotter so we turned it off and just cracked the winds best we could. and figured when we head out to the little white house we would turn on the air so it had time to cool down the camper.
IM SO glad i left my dog at home he would have died in the camper it was soo hot!! i opened the door and the heat made my eyes water it was so hot. the food was melted/ruined i had in the cabinet on top of the AC. The handles was VERY hot to the touch you couldn't grab them bare handed so air off opened up everything but that night rain again.. so it was miserably hot.
took it back to dealership for 3-4 weeks didnt get around to the other stuff i guess. they fixed my faucet, showerhead, and found that the AC exhaust fan was NOT hooked up to power!!! I was like no wonder i didnt hear the annoying fan sound everyone complains about. i thought it was my bad hearing LOL
2nd trip was not much improvement in AC and it was 94 but index was 104 so we hit wal mart bought 3 fans. my fridge still get very hot on top and on the sides it warm and found more things like the tank sensors are off, flooring is bubbled up in places, back window still pops to the point the handle is hanging down the back of the camper going down the road and lots more things ... the 3rd trip we made the duct and insulated the ac box. that help but still during the day its not real cool but it gets better at night.
i have it back at the shop now waiting on shasta i dont see why this stuff wasn't approved last time it was at the shop for 3 weeks! so we will see how the next trip goes...

has any one else have the doors ...
kbjabat is offline   Reply With Quote