Old 06-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

New 61 Shasta Re-Issue Info and Problems

Hello all,
Some more info on our new 19 ft Yellow Airflyte. Our unit # is 1301 which looks like it has some of the later production mods. I've attached some pics. Ours has the A/C fan switch which controls the 110 outlet for the A/C and the exhaust fan. It's next to the dinette. I replaced the A/C with a GE AEZ08LT 8,050-BTU unit but it still doesn't cool sufficiently with the two (1 each intake and exhaust) fans I installed and 3/4 foam insulation on cabinet sides and above. Believe, I'll have to go with the larger dometic refrigerator door installation on the outside for better cooling. Also the radio unit is a Jensen MS40BT, which has a USB Ipod connection which was left wrapped up inside the bulkhead. I doubt this was an intentional upgrade, likely because they were unable to get enough of the MS30BT radio units to meet the production schedule. The roof sewage vent from the black tank is routed to the right of the toilet and exits the roof well away from the roof seams, it is sturdy and does not flex, although the toilet does not appear to be supported very well, it is squishy. There are 4 roof seams on my 19 footer, none of which are externally sealed. My axle has the factory shackle mod that does not fully correct the limited wheel-well clearance. I noticed my trailer sags low on the street side, 1-2 inches, its noticeable when towing and when leveling up. This seems to agree with the fact that the street-side tire is rubbing at the top of the wheel housing but more concerning is that it rubs on the inside of the tire Curb-side also rubs on the inside of tire but not as bad. Tires are inflated to spec @ 35 PSI. Attached pics (next post) show street side wheel well first then curb side. I think Shasta should offer a tire replacement with trailer tires that have a slightly higher rating with a straighter, stiffer sidewall...I believe this will eliminate the sidewall clearance and mitigate the bounce contact with the top of the wheel well. Also, I don't understand why the later trailers, don't have an antenna on the outside, perhaps red the 16 footer I've seen on the internet was just a prototype and the antenna was dropped on the production version. Finally, I noticed that the water lines are zip tied underneath the trailer..unacceptable...zip ties will dry rot in a year or two and with my luck gravity will surely take over. I noticed the gas line was correctly fastened with metal ties, I wonder how much more two additional metal ties would have cost. I'll be taking it in today to my selling dealer, the RV General Store in Newcastle, OK, for insurance repair of the front window. I will request warranty work on the A/C exhaust door, wheel well clearance, tires rubbing, street side sagging, unsupported toilet, plastic ties on water lines, broken bed support in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	81607   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (4).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	81608   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (5).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	81609   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (7).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	81610   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (8).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	81611  

Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #2

Here are pics of the street side top rubbing at wheel well and side rubbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhammer View Post
Hello all,
Some more info on our new 19 ft Yellow Airflyte. Our unit # is 1301 which looks like it has some of the later production mods. I've attached some pics. Ours has the A/C fan switch which controls the 110 outlet for the A/C and the exhaust fan. It's next to the dinette. I replaced the A/C with a GE AEZ08LT 8,050-BTU unit but it still doesn't cool sufficiently with the two (1 each intake and exhaust) fans I installed and 3/4 foam insulation on cabinet sides and above. Believe, I'll have to go with the larger dometic refrigerator door installation on the outside for better cooling. Also the radio unit is a Jensen MS40BT, which has a USB Ipod connection which was left wrapped up inside the bulkhead. I doubt this was an intentional upgrade, likely because they were unable to get enough of the MS30BT radio units to meet the production schedule. The roof sewage vent from the black tank is routed to the right of the toilet and exits the roof well away from the roof seams, it is sturdy and does not flex, although the toilet does not appear to be supported very well, it is squishy. There are 4 roof seams on my 19 footer, none of which are externally sealed. My axle has the factory shackle mod that does not fully correct the limited wheel-well clearance. I noticed my trailer sags low on the street side, 1-2 inches, its noticeable when towing and when leveling up. This seems to agree with the fact that the street-side tire is rubbing at the top of the wheel housing but more concerning is that it rubs on the inside of the tire Curb-side also rubs on the inside of tire but not as bad. Tires are inflated to spec @ 35 PSI. Attached pics (next post) show street side wheel well first then curb side. I think Shasta should offer a tire replacement with trailer tires that have a slightly higher rating with a straighter, stiffer sidewall...I believe this will eliminate the sidewall clearance and mitigate the bounce contact with the top of the wheel well. Also, I don't understand why the later trailers, don't have an antenna on the outside, perhaps red the 16 footer I've seen on the internet was just a prototype and the antenna was dropped on the production version. Finally, I noticed that the water lines are zip tied underneath the trailer..unacceptable...zip ties will dry rot in a year or two and with my luck gravity will surely take over. I noticed the gas line was correctly fastened with metal ties, I wonder how much more two additional metal ties would have cost. I'll be taking it in today to my selling dealer, the RV General Store in Newcastle, OK, for insurance repair of the front window. I will request warranty work on the A/C exhaust door, wheel well clearance, tires rubbing, street side sagging, unsupported toilet, plastic ties on water lines, broken bed support in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (10).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	81612   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (9).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	81613  

Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

Hey Buckhammer. The factory shackle mod is longer banana shaped shackles. Yours still have the original short one's.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 AM   #4

Yes thank you. I found that out when we dropped it off at the dealer for warranty work. They told me the new ones were longer.

Tags
shasta