Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

new to the forum and already a question

Hello all!

I have #905 of the reissues, and have been talking to a forest river dealer about a roof mounted air conditioner... they said they would install it, however the wiring would be visible up the wall and across the roof to the unit, attached to the wall with an adhesive covering...

I'm wondering if anyone has taken off the interior panels, so i can see if there is a way to run the wiring in the walls along a stud, or anything better. pictures would be great.

I have done quite a few modifications on our travel trailer and would love share if anyone is interested.

Thanks for having me, and for your time.

Matt from Ontario.
marrmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

2015 shasta airflyte reissue

#905 of the 2015 shasta airflyte reissues* sorry, guess i should have mentioned that part.

Hello all!

I have #905 of the reissues, and have been talking to a forest river dealer about a roof mounted air conditioner... they said they would install it, however the wiring would be visible up the wall and across the roof to the unit, attached to the wall with an adhesive covering...

I'm wondering if anyone has taken off the interior panels, so i can see if there is a way to run the wiring in the walls along a stud, or anything better. pictures would be great.

I have done quite a few modifications on our travel trailer and would love share if anyone is interested.

Thanks for having me, and for your time.

Matt from Ontario
Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

First of all WELCOME! You will find lots of help and ideas from knowledgeable folks here.

Now to your question----If it's an aluminum exterior trailer, I wouldn't recommend it, however, you could remove the exterior aluminum siding to expose the interior of the wall. If the interior walls are in sections, I believe they can also be removed 1 section at a time. However, to me it's not if it can be done or not, the more important question is "should it be done"? Not knowing your skill level and ability to take it apart and resemble it to a respectable level, only you can to make that decision!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't if you did any research on the Airflyte reissues but they had a number of problems that resulted in the CEO of Shasta's resignation. He had been the main force behind the reissue.
One of the problems was the side-mounted a/c drip issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

thanks for your welcome and your reply.
I feel more comfortable taking apart the interior walls than the exterior shell... mostly because my wife won't let me take it apart the exterior.
i'm gonna tinker around with it tomorrow and see whats up, i'll be sure to post what i find.
thanks so much.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #6

I think I would first find out IF the interior panels were glued to the frame of the Shasta. I understand that a lot of the RV manufacturers make their side walls by using a "sandwich" type process when using fiberglass exterior walls. They lay the fiberglass wall down, add the frame of the unit, the place insulation between the frame parts and lay the interior panels on last. As all of this gets laid down they are glued to each other. Some of these wall panels are even vacuum formed for a tighter fit. IF, and I repeat IF, your side wall panels are built this way then it would be almost impossible to run wiring through the wall panels. I added a second A/C unit to my TT and ran plastic wire way along the ceiling to the cabinets over the bed for the wiring. I don't understand what the dealer is talking about with the "adhesive covering". My wire way material has two parts, one is attached to a solid surface with short screws then the cover is just snapped on. It really is a neat looking appearance. IF there is no way to run the wire way over to a cabinet then run hide the wiring within the cabinet then yes they would have to run the wire way up the wall for the wiring to the A/C unit. The wire way I bought was a bright white, much brighter than the ceiling panel so I painted the wire way a light tan color. It's not as noticeable as it was the bright white color.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

Welcome to the forums !!!!!!

I would let them use the wire mold and run the wire on the wall it is not a big deal it is done in houses and buildings all the time. It is a camper.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

I would just use residential surface conduit for the wiring. I plan to do something similar in mine and just use surface conduit across the ceiling to a cabinet, then down inside the cabinet along the exterior wall (but inside the cabinet) to a standard AC RV plug which mounts through the wall to the exterior.

These can be then plugged into the 20 amp 110 v. plugs on most power pedestals in most campgrounds.

If you can route the outside plug through the wall inside a cabinet there would be less to see.

Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #9

Adding concealed electrical and plumbing can be challenging, yet possible. Likely the cost for a dealer to conceal the wiring would be cost prohibitive for most folks. With some planning, a lot of time and effort, and some new trim and paint or stain in some places a handy do-it-yourself person could handle the task. I have done it several times over the years with good outcome.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

I added a second AC unit to our Crusader Lite 5th wheel. I ran the wire from underneath the trailer up through the interior floor of bedroom next to the exterior wall, up the wall and across the ceiling. I covered the wiring with the self adhesion cable channel and it worked great. Our 5th wheel exterior walls are made up of sandwiched materials with no open space between the inside and outside covering. I think it would be a bad ideal on your part if you remove your wall panels.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

From what I can tell online your RV has wood studs with wood paneling construction. If that is the case it COULD be possible to remove a wall panel and hide the wire in the wall. If it has glass insulation that would make it even easier. If you attempt that make sure you secure the wire to the stud with plastic or rubber protected wire staples/nails. Use the plastic or rubber to help avoid chaffing of the Romex wire cover. I am not an electrician but that is the direction I would attempt at first if it were mine.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Welcome to the forums !!!!!!

I would let them use the wire mold and run the wire on the wall it is not a big deal it is done in houses and buildings all the time. It is a camper.......

You're right... its just a camper, i'm just trying to be too fancy i think.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks.