Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

Shasta Airflyte 16 (electrical problem)

Purchased a new Airflyte 16 on 10/31 (Terrytown RV, Grand Rapids, MI), was delivered (via flatbed truck) to the Phoenix area on 11/13.
None of the AC plugs work (except for a .5 watt LED nightlight). Any greater draw on the circuit causes the circuit breaker to trip. Have used 30 amp, 120 volt input. Called the local Camping World and was given an appointment 41 days later. Camping World has had the trailer for over 4 weeks now and can not find any cause for the power interruption (they can easily repeat the issue). Forest River (Shasta) has been no help with the issue. Does ANYBODY have any experience with this, or a similar, issue.
PLEASE HELP!!!
shbulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

I would disconnect all power and run a continuity test from each AC wire at the circuit panel to frame ground.

You may have a screw or staple thru a wire and is shorted to the frame.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

Impedance test already performed by dealer. He suggested a misplaced staple or screw. Has requested the wiring diagram from Forest River but has yet to receive any. If issue can't be resolved, he may need to pull new wires for the electrical.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 AM   #4

I would suggest ditching Camping World and head to Robert Crist and Company RV in Mesa. They're authorized to do Forest River warranty work and at least one Airflyte owner I know had a good experience with them. They seem to have good communication with Shasta.

I took our Airflyte to the Camping World in Tucson for a leaky rear window and will never go back. Talk about being treated like a number! They added some silicone to the window gasket, didn't test anything, and declared it "fixed." It leaked the very next time it rained. Never again.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your electrical issues. I sent you a PM
dkcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

I'm not sure this will help your issue... I have heard of 1 owner who found a fuse in the wrong spot. Once it was switched back to it's design the electrical system worked perfect. It took some time to discover that was the cause. I agree with the suggestion to try a new dealership who may be more familiar with the 2015 Airflyte. Your local dealership is your best resource they should be able to consult with their Shasta rep if needed. Please share your outcome on this.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Just picked up Ginger (our Red 16 footer) from Auto Corral RV in Mesa AZ. In spite of the local Camping World having her for over 5 weeks (and saying that they checked out the entire electrical system), Auto Corral found the problem in less than an hour (a defective circuit breaker that Camping World had allegedly checked). Kudos to Auto Corral (Phil in service, Shirley in the front office, and Adam the owner).
Ginger is now home and being loaded with her decorations and supplies.
For any of you looking, Auto Corral has a 16 foot Butternut (#297) on their lot - it's available.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbulock View Post
Ginger is now home and being loaded with her decorations and supplies.
Glad they got it solved for you. I really like looking at these type trailers and all the customizations that the owners do to them. Can you post some pics when you get Ginger all fixed up?

BTW, how did you arrive at that name for her? Is it just the color or perhaps a Gilligan's Island reference too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

Will post pictures in a few weeks. Ginger is from both sources (color and Gilligan).
Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbulock View Post
Will post pictures in a few weeks. Ginger is from both sources (color and Gilligan).
Great, looking forward to seeing the pics. I wonder if there will be a Gilligan's Island motif.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #11

Great news! I am glad that your issue has been resolved.
dkcrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta, electrical, problem