Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #1

01 27'

i'm pretty sure the camper i'm looking at will be mine soon. anyone have any issues with cherokee's? this one is a 27' bunk model. any known problems to look for? Thanks!!
walkerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

I am in the process of trading in my 2003 Cherokee 27Q for a 2010 Flagstaff 831fkbss. This will be our 5th trailer. My Cherokee was a leftover and I had problems with the converter, Hot water heater, tires and a few other things. Forest river customer support was ok at best but the dealer really dropped the ball and after 1 year, the factory blew me off. Was not really happy with the way things went but found out later, The dealership never notified Forest River of the problems during the first 2 years.Needless to say, I would never again deal with Boat N RV warehouse in New York. Yes I am buying another Forest River product because they at least went to bat for me when I first had problems (I had to call the factory to start any repairs as the dealership didn't want to know me once I got the unit off the lot) All in all, its a crap shoot, some units will never give you a problem and others can be a nightmare. The best advice is to regularly maintain the rig and do a check before and after each trip. Good luck on the purchase..
Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #3

We had an 05 Cherokee Lite 28A (bunkhouse), and now a Cherokee 32B. we love the Cherokee line. as with any trailer check it out really good for signs of water leaks and or rot!

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #4

We have not had any major problems. The few things I fixed my self. I have a slide with skylights and noticed the eterbond tape was not put down very good and sure enough as we washed it off it was dripping in side. The fiver was only 9 months old but my dealer closed and their other branch is a hour away so it was cheaper for me to fix than pull it over to them. Plus I know it was done correct. Then last time out noticed the water lines from the city connection to the T to the pump and to the water filter were all dripping. I am about to post about that. It was a quick 28.00 fix.

But as they said just look to see if any water penetration and check everything out.

Good luck
donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donawilcox View Post
We have not had any major problems. The few things I fixed my self. I have a slide with skylights and noticed the eterbond tape was not put down very good and sure enough as we washed it off it was dripping in side. The fiver was only 9 months old but my dealer closed and their other branch is a hour away so it was cheaper for me to fix than pull it over to them. Plus I know it was done correct. Then last time out noticed the water lines from the city connection to the T to the pump and to the water filter were all dripping. I am about to post about that. It was a quick 28.00 fix.

But as they said just look to see if any water penetration and check everything out.

Good luck
Thats funny, because I had the same problem with one of the sky lights in my slide also. it was also a quick fix. and yes they`re not very good with the eternabond.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

First, welcome to FRF!

Second, I assume the trailer is a 2001? Which means it should have all the bugs worked out. Are you buying from a private party or are you buying from a dealer? Either one should give you a thorough walk through:

1) Demonstrate the fact that all the systems work and how to use them.

2) Look for leaks in the skin of the trailer

3) Look for leaks in the plumbing systems.

If at a dealer I would ask that the LP gas tanks be full, the battery be tested and replaced if needed, tires inspected and pressure checked, and the Water Heater Anode be replaced. Check to make sure all the lights work.

Also ask the dealer for a 30 day warrenty on leaks and major things like the fridge, heater, water heater, AC, water pump and stove. Ask a private party to include what ever WD hitch they may have used with the trailer.

And then go camping!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee