Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

12v Converter problem (terminology correction)

I have a 2013 Cherokee 28BH. While camping Labor Day weekend the campground had an electric outage. I tried to switch the refrigerator to run on propane but it wouldn't. Then I realized the interior lights which are 12v wouldn't work either.

The battery is good, I had 13.4 volts at the 12v outlet near television. I checked the circuit breakers, fuses and GFCI at bathroom sink. All is good. Inverter is a circuit board with no fuses. Is there a way to test it or any other ideas of things to check? Thank you

RichWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #2

Inverter problems

I recently had to replace my inverter in a Cedar Creek 34 5th wheel. I determined it was the inverter because I was not reading voltage across the leads that go to the battery while plugged in to 120v AC.

wemckemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWood View Post
I have a 2013 Cherokee 28BH. While camping Labor Day weekend the campground had an electric outage. I tried to switch the refrigerator to run on propane but it wouldn't. Then I realized the interior lights which are 12v wouldn't work either.

The battery is good, I had 13.4 volts at the 12v outlet near television. I checked the circuit breakers, fuses and GFCI at bathroom sink. All is good. Inverter is a circuit board with no fuses. Is there a way to test it or any other ideas of things to check? Thank you
as long as the batteries are good you shouldn't need an converter or inverter to have 12v ,The inverter/charger should have cables going to the battery to charge or draw from / then you should have the 12v cable from the battery heading into your 12v panel check for breakers in the battery compartment or fuse's at the panel . just a guess
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

You mean CONVERTER not Inverter. If you have 13.4 volts your converter is working, perhaps your battery is disconnected. When you have shore power all the 12 volt items will run from the converter, even if the battery is disconnected. However, when the 120 VAC drops out...you have nothing.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

I will do some checking/testing tomorrow and will post outcome. Thanks for the comments and have a great day
Old 09-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You mean CONVERTER not Inverter. If you have 13.4 volts your converter is working, perhaps your battery is disconnected. When you have shore power all the 12 volt items will run from the converter, even if the battery is disconnected. However, when the 120 VAC drops out...you have nothing.
Yep, the OP is mistaken. It's a CONverter, not an Inverter.
2013 Cherokees didn't have a factory inverter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Update...I figured out what was wrong (aside from calling the converter an inverter). There are two manual reset circuit breakers under the front of the camper. One was tripped. Reset and all is good now. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found. It helps someone in the future that has the same problem.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWood View Post

Bleed the gas line, by running the stove top?

If the frig worked on 120 V there had to have been 12dc too. I would suspect main 12 power switch or in line breaker or fuse. But you say you Still have 12v so if you have 12v you should have display lights on frig. If not the troubleshooting may be more than I can talk you through.

If frig panel lights are on then you have 12 so purge gas line, turn frig off wait then turn it on. Run outside and you should here the burner in the frig or at least hear it trying to light.
Good luck
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Hi Tom48. Thanks for the help. I updated my original post yesterday. I found two manual reset 12v circuit breakers under the front of the camper. Voltage at one post was 13.4 (coming from converter to charge battery. The other 3 posts had 11.9v (battery voltage). I reset both breakers and the interior lights will now work when 120v is disconnected and the fridge will operate on propane. Thanks again and have a great day!

Tags
inverter