Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

12V Outlet, USB, 5 Gang Switch Panel Install - Wolf Pup Mod

Im always running a long USB charging cable to where I mounted the TV over the bed. Also wanted 12V power outlet there to allow my cell phone booster (portable) to be powered when in use. So getting some power to this area was a priority.

I pry'd up the panel inside the cabinet with a small pry bar (Seen in first photo). Theres a nice gap at the front, it's easily fit a pry tool in and work the base up. The base came up very easily without damage.

The Orange Stripe wires are my "hot" leads, White are neutral. I've drilled a hole through the right crossmember to run my extended power to the right side where Im going to mount a USB, 12V Outlet, and a 5 On-Off Toggle Switch Panel on the blank face of the cabinet. I decided to go with a panel that had toggle switches, not only to turn off power to USB and 12V socket, but have additional switches for the future (ie. Outdoor LED light strip, maybe a hard wired 12V fan over the bed etc.).

I wired my extension wires through the base of cabinet. Placed some In-The-Wall 6 wire taps on the leads. I popped out the cabinet panel where I was going to place the outlets/switches. Cut a rectangular hole in the wood panel. I was able to use a Utility Knife for this, since it's such thin "wood". Wired it up and it works great. I re-wired the panel to have one of the switches shut off entire panel. This panel is metal with nice high quality switches, includes a bunch of stickers for naming your switches along with the ones already on the panel from the factory (Wish it came blank). Can be found on Amazon for around $35-$40.

I use the USB to charge phone or tablet while streaming video, displayed on tv. The window valance is a nice spot to rest your devices in that area.

K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Did your 2017 come with the USB in the wall charger outlets? I have them in each bunk on the forward side wall and by the outlet left wall by the master bed. They work for phones but are weak for other purposes.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

It's nice it has the voltage read-out also. Check it's accuracy with a good multimeter and you will know you SOC when on just batteries.
Good job!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Did your 2017 come with the USB in the wall charger outlets? I have them in each bunk on the forward side wall and by the outlet left wall by the master bed. They work for phones but are weak for other purposes.
Yes, I have all the USB ports on the other side of camper, bed and bunks.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
It's nice it has the voltage read-out also. Check it's accuracy with a good multimeter and you will know you SOC when on just batteries.
Good job!
When I first installed, the voltage was exactly what my multimeter was reading at the wires. When you check at the battery is slightly different, and does change under load. I rarely camp without electrical hookups. I don't have solar just yet.

Tags
switch, wolf pup