Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

It's a fact. New units leak. We'll see if FR handles this appropriately or blames the customer...

I purposefully looked at new & used TT during heavy rains at 2 dealers close to home. A new unit, same as ours, was leaking water badly even after the salesperson checked to see that all vents & windows were closed. When the salesperson contacted the service dept. I got the impression that they were accustomed to receiving & dealing with new units that leaked...

This is why I like the idea of picking the best of the litter from 8-10 units on the lot vs. ordering one from a wholesaler, etc. Local dealer had a sale, so new units were only about $1000 more than wholesaler prices and the dealer allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted looking-over all of the units before making a choice.

We ended-up getting a gently used model for 25% less than new & it was bone dry. Fortunately FR leaves enough sawdust everywhere so that it will clump and indicate prior water issues... Before making an offer, I spent 2 hours looking over the unit & taking pictures behind every access panel, etc. Our dealer includes a "free" pressurized leak test & re-caulking (with both new & used units) and then walked us through a 2.5 hour PDI. We have camped for 2 seasons now without any issues....

2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You probably are correct......
You need to determine where that water is getting in, do something to stop it in the meantime, and get it back to your dealer ASAP. If you can take about 100 digital pics before taking it to the dealer, preferably dated. Put a current days newspaper in the background of some where you can see the date on it, you may need the documentation.

Hopefully if it is a manufacturing defect, which I would expect it to be after seeing what I have seen lately with some of these 2016 units being made. Hopefully your dealer recognizes it as such and so does the manufacturer. I'd still go loaded for bear expecting the typical you did not maintain the sealant arguments. Unfortunately there is no telling how much damage is done in other areas without tearing into it some. With that amount of water coming in for ?? it most likely is not good. Sorry to say that but no way to sugar coat it.
also after talking to your dealer, call the Manufacturer as well and send them copies of all documentation and photo's so that you will have an open communication to both parties. that way if the dealer doesn't do their part you will know. also contact your insurance company whoever you are insured with with all the information as well.
you may be able to get the insurance to pay part of cost

Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #13

FWIW I checked my trailer's roof after a heavy rainstorm this past summer and was surprised to see a "pond" of water behind the fridge roof vent. I'd estimate close to a 1/2 gallon of water had pooled and was just sitting there. I re-positioned my ladder on that side of the trailer and used a tube of Dicor to fill in the low spot and then made an inverted "V" going up the roof so any water running down the roof crown would now be routed past the vent area and down into the gutter system. I don't know why I looked on the roof in the first place as I had no leaks inside but I'm sure glad that I did - I also plan on continuing it as part of my regular maintenance routine. Maybe with the winter freeze / thaw cycles something similar happened and combined with ice damming, routed water down the fridge vent system (and eventually out on your floor) - especially if the sealing is compromised in any area. Anyhow, document your issue and please let the forum know how you made out. Hopefully warranty will look after you - if not, would your rv insurance kick in?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

X2 on insurance. I would contact them first.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #15

I had water in our 26DBH, and all I can determine is that it was on top of the slide as either ice or puddled in the middle when I pulled the slide in, locked up and lowered the tongue jack for the winter. I cleaned up the mess a few weeks back after I did a check on a warm day and have checked after several snowfall and warm weather melts, and have seen nothing since. It's going into the dealer to be checked as soon as all the snow melts in front of it and the ground firms up so I can pull it out.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #16

Update: called dealer they said they were waiting on wood from FR and all other issues were taken care of just have to rebuild the cabinets. So far so good
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Great News!!!
Glad everything worked out for you and kudos to your dealer / Forest River for doing right by the customer!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
Gold Miner At Heart

So sorry about the problem.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #19

Forgot to ask - did they determine a cause? It might help someone else on the forum, especially if they own a similar rig.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

Silicone on outside of water heater got hot and separated. silicone on the bottom inside the door of water heater was not put up the sides far enough either

Tags
winter