Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #1

182G to Wolf Pup?

Hi All,

First time on this forum, nice to see the lively conversation. We recently purchased a 2015 182G over the summer and have used it many times. It fits our family of four (wife, two boys ages 3 and 6). We love this model for the garage, bunks, and unique factor (part of the reason we get Rpods, right)? We've been on 3 trips already and throughly enjoyed it... especially cooking from the garage.

Well... my wife and I recent recently visited a huge RV show (our first) and while there, you can't help but dream. The main take away was a bit more space would be nice. So, the research started and I found the new Wolf Pup 18TO. It's still light enough for my FJ Cruiser to pull and is probably the most spacious floor plan I've seen in the low 3k lbs, with a bunk. I has a huge slide out.

My reservations are:
1) moving from fiberglass to aluminum siding (downgrade in looks and longevity?)
2) Extra width of the Wolf Pup (my FJ mirror are already tiny)
3) No outdoor garage. (I guess, I can tap into the outdoor propane, and mount the TV outside. But no outdoor storage or sink)
4) No more cool Rpod factor

Are my reservations unreasonable?

Thanks in advance
Trijicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Site Team

The 18TO's dry hitch weight already exceeds your FJ's max of 500lbs., BEFORE you even add the weights of battery, propane water and trailer cargo.

Sorry, you need less hitch weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:19 AM   #3

Didn't even consider this. Ok well that solves that.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 18TO's dry hitch weight already exceeds your FJ's max of 500lbs., BEFORE you even add the weights of battery, propane water and trailer cargo.

Sorry, you need less hitch weight.
The 18TO has a UVW of 2407lbs and GVWR 4875. I plan on not going anywhere near the GVWR, may 3400lbs at most. However tongue weight is 525 (kinda weird for a light weight TT). If I were to upgrade to a Class IV hitch, get a WDH system and suspension airbags, do you think towing the 18TO would be doable, considering the overall lightness of the trailer?

Maybe even transport the propane bottle in the back of the TT
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
The 18TO has a UVW of 2407lbs and GVWR 4875. I plan on not going anywhere near the GVWR, may 3400lbs at most. However tongue weight is 525 (kinda weird for a light weight TT). If I were to upgrade to a Class IV hitch, get a WDH system and suspension airbags, do you think towing the 18TO would be doable, considering the overall lightness of the trailer?

Maybe even transport the propane bottle in the back of the TT
Changing the hitch receiver won't increase your max of 500lbs.
Neither will airbags.

That 500lbs. max hitch capacity is only possible IF you are using a type III/IV receiver and a WDH.
If you don't, your hitch capacity is lower.

There is no magic bean.
Either get a different trailer or a more capable vehicle.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
Boondocking Only

25lbs over is nothing! I wouldn't worry about it.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:46 AM   #7

There are some wrong numbers floating around the Internet. I had the dealer look at the actual weight on the Wolf Pup 18TO on the lot and i was initially wrong about the weights. The real numbers are 437#tongue /3800# dry.I think I'll be good if I keep the payload light, around to 4300#max
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

Interested to see if you're still active and if you ever went with the 18TO. This was actually the model we were looking at, but a few things kept me from pulling the trigger. Eventually we went with a RP176T. I don't think you could go wrong with this option though, and when my son gets a bit bigger we will likely look at something else.
thewaymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Didn't even consider this. Ok well that solves that.

Don't worry about the hitch weight. This wolf pup 18To can be easily towed you with your FJ cruiser. All you need is just a weight distribution hitch. This trailer weighs in at about 3700 pounds dry. You will not have any issues towing the trailer behind you. I could recommend using a fast way E2 weight distribution system. It shouldn't cost you more than $400. As far as the width of the trailer, it's only 7 1/2 feet wide which shouldn't affect your visibility in your side mirrors on your FJ cruiser. You can always get a mirror extensions for a longer trips which do not cost a lot.
I can highly recommend this camper trailer. I just bought mine last September and I have already taken it out on about for weekend trips. The trailer is amazing taking into consideration the low-cost as well as interior space. I wouldn't worry about the aluminum skin. If you wash it and wax it two times during the season it will look brand-new years to come. I've seen many laminated trailers that haven't been taken care of and they look a lot worse than 10-year-old aluminum trailers. It just depends on you how you take care of your investment.
WolfPup18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #10

We purchased our 18TO two weeks ago and already took it for a test run last weekend at a local KOA. This camper is awesome, for me its the best bang for your buck for trailers under 4000lbs in terms of interior space and features. The super slide makes a huge difference. I bought a Weight Distribution hitch and it pulls straight and true. The FJ can handle it no problem.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
We purchased our 18TO two weeks ago and already took it for a test run last weekend at a local KOA. This camper is awesome, for me its the best bang for your buck for trailers under 4000lbs in terms of interior space and features. The super slide makes a huge difference. I bought a Weight Distribution hitch and it pulls straight and true. The FJ can handle it no problem.

I think we saw your setup last weekend, in the north bay! We took our Grey Wolf out for our first trip as well. My wife and I went walking through the campground. I saw your rigs and commented on the great match between your FJ and Pup! They looked great together!

Enjoy!

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Love the fj. Heard that they stopped making them. Sad.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote