Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

2005 Cherokee 28A+ Leaking problem, just like Bdeuce has.

We have a 2005 Cherokee 28A+ with the same leaking problems as Bdeuce. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. The TT has been in the shop several times and they finally said they couldn't reprodue the problem and don't bring it back. They had spent enough money on it. We still have the problem every time it rains. Don't know what else to do but sell it and who would buy it like this. We fear it already has hidden damage. Can anyone help? Please.
Scrapbooker & Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #2

I don't have much to offer, but I have seen posts on here where owners have found that the water is coming from a long way away from where the leak actually appears. One owner had a leak in the rear bathroom but a "pressure test" revealed that the water was actually getting in at the front of the camper 30 feet away.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #3

I fixed my trailer last year. Here is a link on how I did it. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: I found and repaired my leak

One thing I did not mention in the post that I think is necessary now, is that after I used mineral spirits on the roof membrane, it left an oily residue. This needs to be cleaned off. I used simple green then I scrubbed the area with water and a washcloth. I made sure the roof was dry and residue free. I have also read, since then, that some people are using paint thinner instead of Mineral spirts. Either way make sure the membrane is oil free.

Also, They recommend using a roller on the eternabond to press it into the membrane. I didn't have one. I used a large deep socket from a ratchet set. It worked great.

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #4

We had an 05 Cherokee 28A (no bunk slide). I had a leak that I didn`t know about. no it wasn`t leaking for months and caused damage! i found it after we came home from a trip. I had the trailer pulled into the driveway with the truck in the garage. it started to downpour HARD and with the trailer tilted backward because it was in the driveway different than normal, all the water on the roof rolled in the opposite direction than normal and ran in under a bad seam at the front wall. I had a small river along the wall on the doorside. I found the leak after the rain stopped. I never had any water before this, or after. so I assume I fixed it. maybe that is the problem with your trailer. if the trailer is tilted one way or the other the water leaks in at a bad seam?!

just thought I`de throw this out there, maybe could help.

Good luck!
Kevin

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

This is a very common place for leaks to start and cause BIG problems.
After purchase of a new, or used RV, I believe Eternabond should be the FIRST application.
It's just good insurance.

PHOTO from Bduece post on the other forum.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Check caulking under any overhangs. I had a leak near a window, but it was a small split in the seam where the overhang and wall came together.
Another time the edge of a roof skylight curled up and away from the caulk. Luckily I caught it quickly and it only drained into the shower.
A motorhome had a window that was removed and replaced with better caulking under warranty.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #7

Got it!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found that the several layers of silicone and old caulking was the problem. It looked fine when the slide was out, however when it was in the silicone/caulking would seperate from the metal or the seal surfaces. I had to strip it all out and reseal it. It has now rained seveal times without one leak. Thank God! And again thanks to everyones thoughts!
Scrapbooker & Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28a, cherokee