Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

2008 Grey Wolf 5th wheel question

I'm looking at a good deal on a 2008 Grey Wolf fifth wheel BH235. I currently pull a travel trailer with my 2007 Tundra Crewmax. I'm looking to trade my TT for the 5th wheel and am wondering if anyone knows if I can get away with a non sliding hitch with this combo. I know the slider would be ideal but my dad has an extra hitch he'll give me.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Given that the Grey Wolf doesn't have the rounded corners and if the Tundra has a 6½' bed, I would definitely suggest a sliding hitch.

Tell us more about the Tundra? (4x4 or 4x2, engine, trim, etc.)

That RV is going to have a pin weight of about 1200lbs and if the Tundra is 4x4 it's going to be limited in payload. I'm not part of the weight police, but you may need to add overload springs or air bags, and upgrade to LT tires at a minimum.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

I've always found sliders to be a pain, expensive, heavy, take up too much room, and bind when you need them most. But that is just my opinion. I've always had short beds (6.5'). My first 2 5vers I pulled with a regular hitch and they both had flat front caps. Yes, could have hit the cab, and you always have to watch out when turning, but I got by. Then I started using sidewinder hitches, love them and I don't have to watch the corners any more. So you have several options. I would suggest trying the free hitch, experiment with backing at angles and then decide. Enjoy the new 5ver (if you get it). My son pulls a TT with his Tundra and is looking at 5th wheels. My advice to him is to get more truck. The next rig is only gonna get bigger
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

My truck is a 2007 Crewmax 5.7 TRD SR5 4X4 with the towing package. I know the towing capacity is 10,100 lbs, but I'm not sure what the payload is.
The bad thing is the crewmax is a 5.5 ft bed so I will probably need a slider or a extender like the RV5 kingpin extender. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Does this help with figuring th payload?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	116452  
Fehron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Team

That lists your GVWR at 7200 lbs. Take that and go weigh your truck, then subtract the weighed weight from the GVWR and the difference is your payload.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

I have a 6.5 bed in my 150. I bought the slider and have never used it in 5 years / 40 trips. This year I took the handle off because it just got in the way. I would try the free hitch first and upgrade if needed
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehron View Post
My truck is a 2007 Crewmax 5.7 TRD SR5 4X4 with the towing package. I know the towing capacity is 10,100 lbs, but I'm not sure what the payload is.
The bad thing is the crewmax is a 5.5 ft bed so I will probably need a slider or a extender like the RV5 kingpin extender. .
Ouch. A 5.5 bed makes it tougher but I think it narrows down your options. You definitely can't use your free standard hitch without some help on the kingpin side. Just not enough turning angle. A slider hitch weighs a lot and will subtract from your payload capacity. A kingpin extender might work, but in talking to some folks who tried them with a 5.5 bed they measured from the tailgate to the hitch and had to install the truck hitch slightly in front of the axle (not good) and then when they turned sharply the mount on the trailer hit the bed rails.

I have seen some successful options using the sidewinder or revolution hitches with a 5.5 bed. But again, I would still advise for more truck when you move into the 5th wheel or toybox options.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, grey wolf, wheel