Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

2009 Grey Wolf 28bh Questions

So we have finished our first couple outings with our 2009 28BH that we purchased from a private seller earlier this year. We have come up with a few items that I have searched around for here and have not come up with a solution. Thank you for your help as we are new to camping in anything but a tent!

-After filling our fresh water tank I was informed it appeared to be leaking. After further inspection the water was coming from what appeared to be a black hose barb (may not be the right name) towards the top part of the tank. Is this some sort of secondary vent or a normal item?

-I seem to be getting some bad readings from the monitor panel. When we started the trip all tanks read empty, which is correct. We filled the fresh tank and at that point the fresh tank read Full, with the gray and black tanks reading Empty, all is well. The fresh tank went to 2/3 about as expected. At that point it is where things changed. The next day when I checked them the Black was at 1/3 (probably about right), the gray at 2/3, and the fresh at 2/3. The fresh stayed at 2/3 until we ran it dry, while the gray went to Full. When we dumped the tanks all were reading empty again. Can you help make some sense of this?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Unfortunately, the tank monitors area not very accurate, just by design. If you look under the trailer at the tanks (if they are not enclosed), you can see the probes on the sides if each tank. It seems as though the installers are not very precise in their spacing. Also, a bit if corrosion, some stuck tp, or other foreign matter can cause a false reading.
You should be able to start to have a good idea on water usage through trial, and error.
We have a 2012 28BH and notice the probes arrear not correct, even from the second or third trip.
Joel

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

The fresh water leak is from a missing hose.
I have a 2011 model and had the same issue...some research showed it's common...

it's a vent and there should be a hose from that barb that runs up to the fill for the tank - if you look at the fill you'll see a small sceened opening next to it - it connects to the back of it.

I plan to install this hose before camping this year - appears to be easy as I can access the fill from under the sink. Just have to get the hose through the foam filling in the hole in the floor.

As to the sensors...they are 'stair stepped' so that when the fluid level is just below say, the 2/3 one it will read 1/3. Add just a cup of water and it will cover the sensor and read 2/3. So when you see it read 2/3 that could mean it's just barely at 2/3 or it could mean it's almost at full. With some experience you'll get an idea of how long you can go on that.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Great information on the vent hose. It seemed based on the location of the barb there would be a substantial amount of water that would not be able to be filled. I will move the access panel tonight and see what I can figure out. Do you have any recommendations on the tubing to use?

I do understand what is being said about the monitors, and will not expect pin point accuracy. I will take note again this weekend but the part to me that was off was that when the tank was empty, it was still reading 2/3.

Thanks again for the help and information!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

I was going to use a piece of the same hose you'd use for water. figuring a length to get is the challenge.

if something was stuck to the tank covering the sensor...i could see this in the black tank but the others shouldn't have anything but liquid in them.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28bh