Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willysrule View Post
Times two! I'm wondering what that might cost!
A local shop wanted about $400 to do my trailer. I couldn't afford it before our long trip (spent about $2k just in gas as it was) so I measured the axles myself with string on the tongue jack to the hubs and then axle to axle. Seemed fine so just a balance job was needed on the tires. I would recommend doing that. It is about $10-$12 per tire and my spare needed over 1oz of weight added to it. The rest were in the 0.25 range. I was worried about the Trail Expresses, but I have almost 4k on them this year with even wear and no issues. They will be getting changed out next year after we get our taxes back so I wont have to worry about them next season.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #22

I paid about 350.00 to have mine done and it was misaligned and re-camber the axles. No wear problem after I had done. Prior to that, I went through 3 sets of tires in less than 1000 miles.
It is easy for the dealer to blame the tires and give you new ones from Forest River. They are just kicking the can down the road because most dealers can't do alignment. You need some heavy truck alignment equipment to do it. I finally bit the bullet to paid for alignment because it is worth my peace of mind and not ruining more vacations.
jleon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #23

Interesting post I bought a 2012 grey wolf 27BHKS in spring of 2011. Took camper to Yellowstone for a 3001 mile round trip. Noticed tire wear on outside of front tire this tire was going bald on the inside and outside of the tread which looked to be an underinflation issue but took the trailer to dealer and he told me the front axle was straight and I guess these are suppose to have a slight arch to them. So now Lippart is determining if they will replace this or warranty the tires. Don't want Bias Ply back on has anyone had experience with Kumho 857's??
Hemi 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #24

On to more dilemma, found out from the lady at the RV dealership that whom ever she was talking to on the phone said "You didn't here this from me but the life expectancy from the Trail Express tires that are on his Grey Wolf are only Two Years" upon checking the date code on the tires they say 20/10 which is the 20th week in 2010 and were put on a 2012 Model. So are they worn out before they have hit the road??
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

This thread had evolved from tire and axle problems to fresh water tank problems. I separated out most of the fresh water tank problems, and you can now find those posts here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-28795.html

I gotta figure out how to get post #24 separated and moved to the new thread.

OK, I think I got er done....although I sent a copy of post #24 somewhere that I can't find it now.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #26

i've 32' cherokee 2012 travel trailler since 2-1/2 month and we did not have a lot of camping since, and my 4 tires are finish because are used (flat) by inside of travel trailer. i wait answer of dealer... warranty or not after 2-1/2 month...
mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #27

Well I have finally received the answer from Lippert on my axle problem. They are sending 5200lb axles to the dealer to replace the 3500lb ones that are bad. They also said they would not pay the labor to have them installed or warranty any tire wear issues. I have purchased a set of Kuhmo tires and the dealer met me halfway on the labor part. Just pulled the other day and everything seems o.k. When I picked up my Grey Wolf from the dealer there were eleven other Cherokee Grey Wolf models that were experiencing tire wear issue and bad axles. The dealership lady had a list going of the current customers thay were working with. I believe there is a big issue with Grey Wolf models and Lippert axles. Not to mention Trail Express tires. I guess I am lucky I found the problem when I did or I would have had to buy the axles also. Buyers beware!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #28

I have a 295b fifth wheel and have not had the best of luck with Lippert. I had a spring break driving down the interstate which was not fun. I inspected all the other springs and they all had lost their arch. I went to a local spring shop and replaced all of them. I am a little shocked that they use substandard parts that your $30000 coach rides down the road on. Don't get me started on the cheap china tires they put on them either!!!! I replaced them the first year with real tires......Maxxis!
Bradyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyfam View Post
I have a 295b fifth wheel and have not had the best of luck with Lippert. I had a spring break driving down the interstate which was not fun. I inspected all the other springs and they all had lost their arch. I went to a local spring shop and replaced all of them. I am a little shocked that they use substandard parts that your $30000 coach rides down the road on. Don't get me started on the cheap china tires they put on them either!!!! I replaced them the first year with real tires......Maxxis!
So how is it Lippert's fault that this RV manufacturer used parts that were too light-duty for their trailers??!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #30

Unhappy

Our 2011 29 bhks fire wear all 4 inside bald less than 2 thousand on them had to talk to lipperts myself NO help from dealer finally after many phone calls and pics and emails larger axels.larger springs and an allowance to up grade the tires I had to get an independently rv service shop involved he told me the undercarriage is to lite for the trailer the wheels springs and axles are.overloaded before we start to.load the trailer we are putting a load rated d tire on 4500 axels.and 250 springs we had to speek to the vp at lippert before any resolution . Somebody needs to make the ministry.of transportation aware of these un safe products on the road.
Glen G Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #31

[quote[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen g campbell View Post
our 2011 29 bhks fire wear all 4 inside bald less than 2 thousand on them had to talk to lipperts myself no help from dealer finally after many phone calls and pics and emails larger axels.larger springs and an allowance to up grade the tires i had to get an independently rv service shop involved he told me the undercarriage is to lite for the trailer the wheels springs and axles are.overloaded before we start to.load the trailer we are putting a load rated d tire on 4500 axels.and 250 springs we had to speek to the vp at lippert before any resolution . Somebody needs to make the ministry.of transportation aware of these un safe products on the road.
Glen G Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #32

So far this year, we have not had any problems. They replaced the Axles, upgraded the tires, and did a full check of everything at the factory. Our extended warranty runs out in July. I will have to say that Forest River was great to work with. I still worry about the axles and tires since we have not been on a long trip.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle