Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #1

2011 Wolf Pup 17B Documentation questions

Newcomer to the camper world and have read manual multiple times now. For an experienced camper owner, I am sure this manual is enough, but for the beginner, missing some key instructions.

Could anyone give detailed instructions for hooking electric service to household electric service? Manual just basically says "yes you can hook to household". It has 30 amp twist type plug at the camper.

Also, what is the proper jacking points should one experience a tire failure on the road? (Frame or axle itself and what type jack is best since trailer did not come with jack, nor lug nut wrench...something that may be nice to document in the manual)

We had camper out for first time a few weeks ago after a month of owning. Bought camper new, only to have axle failure before first voyage. Dealer/Axle manufacturer replaced axle at no cost to us but it did cost use two weeks without the camper and we lost our deposit on campsite.
Drakce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

I am actually surprised yours came with a manual; I got manuals for some of the appliances, but that is it.

To plug into power at home, you need an adapter like this: Walmart.com: Road Power 30/15-Amp RV Power Adapter Cord: Computers
Just be careful about what all you have running at one time. I find on 15 amp power I can run 1 of the following: microwave, electric hot water heater, air conditioning. However those all draw 10-13 amps so there isn't much room for anything else.

I will double check my trailer when I get home, but I seem to recall it saying where to jack it somewhere on the frame. I also keep a short 2x2 by my jack to be able to jack the frame correctly. The tire iron you need is a common 19mm/ 3/4". I had a spare from an old car that I keep in the trailer.

We also have a long running Wolf Pup thread that you might find useful:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-pup-7909.html
On post #26 I have some of what I mentioned above for wattage; the one thing I didn't have there at the time was the A/C which draws 1250 watts on low, and 1400 watts on high.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks Ken0042

Thanks Ken0042. That is what I was thinking using house electrical power. Will hook up tonight just to run the refridge and get it cold. It took a long time to cool on our initial trip so we planned to hook it up tonight and start refridge cooling. During towing will it switch over to electrical through the tow electric? or will it switch over to the LP gas (if I open the LP gas valve)?

Thanks for the tip on wood block, makes sense not to scratch/dent the frame while jacking. Have the 19mm-3/4" colapsable 4 way packed. Now will look at what type jack is best...any recommendations?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Your fridge is what they call "2 way"- it will run on either 120 volt power or propane. They used to make 3 way fridges that would use 12 volt power; but those were a HUGE drain on the battery. Now the only 12 volt power your fridge uses is the ignition for propane. I do what you are suggesting; run it on 120 volt at home to keep it cool so it is ready to go at a moment's notice. I also find it handy to be able to keep the fridge partially stocked (condiments, drinks, etc) as well as the freezer (burgers, hot dogs.)

There was a long debate about running the fridge on propane while driving here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-on-12671.html

My last camping trip I left the propane running; however the trip before was in British Columbia and they are more strict on some of their rules. I had the propane off and with 4 hours of driving in 90 F weather; my freezer never got above 22 F.

The jack I bought was this one: Certified Hydraulic Trolley Jack, 2-ton | Canadian Tire
It is a bit of overkill for what you need; hydraulic jacks do add some extra weight and I would think a scissor jack would work fine as well. I just like the way they work.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

Thanks Ken
I have the same type jack and will just put it in bed of the pickup. Someone had told me just to take bottle jack but it doesn't look like enough clearance to use bottle jack and was unsure of the stability. If I find I do not like the space the Trolley Jack takes up, I will look for scissor jack.
You gave me the answer I need on the Refridge also. Will plug it in overnight tonight and only have 2 hour drive in 85 degree weather this weekend so it sounds like it will remain cold without using the propane.