Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
2012 Cherokee 274bh axle issue and tire wear

Anyone had issues with axles bent and tire wear on all four, only used camper one season, and I am out of manufacturer warrantee, owned for 18 months and 12 months it was in winter storage, not a very happy camper, no way I am over weight limits,.

foxk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
2014 Traveler
Axle wear Tire issue

We purchased a '13 FR Cherokee Destination. I live in Tx and the dealer was over 1000mi away, we arrived and they had it all set up in a campground nearby for two very tired folks. Next day, we do the PDI, set up the distribution hitch then roll it onto pavement to check everything over when I notice DS rear tire looked low. Tech said to bring it to the store so he could check them. Turns out the pressure was fine but when I touched the tire it was really hot compared to the rest. That's when I noticed the rear leaf spring was sitting too far forward and the rear axle was misaligned. The factory actually welded the rear shackle mount nearly 2" forward compared to the right side. Which explains when this dealer took delivery from FR it had a blow out on the way here. My dealer argued with Lippert for 30min before lippert would admit that the shackle was welded on in the wrong spot. They agreed to fix it but it was going to be a while "weeks" before a tech could get out to fix it. So, we drove off and were about 10mi out when my dealer called to inform me that the head of FR warranty said forget lippert, just find a cert. Welder to make the repairs and get this guy his trailer. Well we found a local shop that actually builds firetrucks. We were in and out in 30min!! Our axles weren't bent but were mounted incorrect. If it is the frame then this issue would fall on Lippert and not FR.

RetAFRVnW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Bring it to a big truck/trailer suspension shop. Not an RV dealer. The big semi trailers are aligned just like and RV. They hook on and slightly bend everything into alignment. Should cost about $150.00 and only takes a couple hours. You could replace the axles with new ones but there is no guaranty the new ones will be right and the price is way more than an alignment. Don't worry about bending them, they have to bend them when new to set the camber..Had mine done and I'm 100% satisfied. Pulls like a dream, no tire wear...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote

2012, axle, cherokee, tire