Old 09-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

2012 Grey Wolf 17BH Water Usage

I went on a 3 day trip, I wanted to keep my tow weight down. I filled my fresh water with 17 gallons of water. I would think for 1 person this would be enough. Water usage would be 2 five minute showers, and no more than 1 or 2 gallons to brush teeth, etc.

A friend asked to use my shower, then the next day I tried to take a shower and the fresh water tank was empty. He did take a really long shower, was ridiculous lol.

My question is - how many gallons per minute do you think the shower uses? I could take a 5 gallon bucket and measure it. I'm just curious, maybe the shower uses more water than I think. But my 17 gallons was gone after my 5 minute shower and my friends longer shower. Thanks for the help.

RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Was your water heater tank itself filled before the trip, as that can take 6 gallons or more just at the onset to fill it.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I imagine the shower sprays at 2-3 gallons per minute.

When you shower with limited water, you do what's called a "navy shower". Repeat (for hair, face, and body): Water on, get wet; water off, soap up; water on, rinse; water off.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Team

A more efficient showerhead, like the Oxygenics Body Spa, would probably help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

First off, brushing teeth, I use less then one cup of water, so thats a non-issue. The shower on the other hand... We were camping in Florida a few seasons ago, we had water and electric, but no sewer at our site.

First 20 minutes after setting up camp, my wife came running out to tell me our tub was clogged. Didn't even know she was in the shower. I went in and checked. The tub was half full of water. How long was your shower? Like 10 minutes she said. LMAO She filled the entire gray tank with one shower. Since it was just water and Bio-Soap, I opened the gray tank valve and watered the lawn around our RV.

At least she tested that factory plumbing for leaks, not a drip!
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Not sure how much water was in the water heater. I used the camper 6 weeks ago and did not drain the fresh water, but I know it was low.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
RV There Yet?

when we go to sites without water hookups, we always fill the fresh tank and then the water heater, then top off the fresh tank again. 6 gallons doesnt sound like much, but it adds up!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

My sister-in-law drained out 30 gallon tank every time she took a shower. The other 5 people could all take showers as long as we went before she did. I carry a 50 gallon tank in the truck to refill, and refilled the Roo tank almost daily. Sigh.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
when we go to sites without water hookups, we always fill the fresh tank and then the water heater, then top off the fresh tank again. 6 gallons doesnt sound like much, but it adds up!

How do you top off the water heater? I think I just have a drain and a pressure release.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #10

Fill the fresh water and turn on the pump (or hook to city water) and turn on the hot water. When it stops sputtering, it's full. Then top off the fresh water again.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Fill the fresh water and turn on the pump (or hook to city water) and turn on the hot water. When it stops sputtering, it's full. Then top off the fresh water again.
this is how i do it!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Conserving water

Here's an idea. May not work for everyone, but it is effective.

This comes from the sailing community. Sailboats carry precious little water, however, it's only for drinking and sometimes flushing(some SW boats still have a FW flush). The theory is that you use seawater or lake water to wash, in some lakes and harbors that's pretty gross so you can use boat water. Otherwise, all you need is SW soap and FW only to rinse off the salt water (maybe 1 or 2 liters).

Also, many SV's do not have a water heater for safety and/or insurance reasons. So here's what we do. You buy a 2 gallon garden sprayer. You replace the spray head with a kitchen lever operated sprayer. You boil a couple quarts of water on the stove, mix cool water to preference and then do the classic Navy shower already described. When you're out of water, you're out. You learn to conserve real quick. You can wrap the sprayer with a later of reflective insulation if you like.

Also, you are using very little water. If you use a bio friendly soap, you can set up a shower tent (readily available) and use a teak floor square (like a little pallet) and shower on a downhill edge of your site (when the park folks aren't looking). You're not using enough water to cause erosion or some other negative result. Or use the inside shower as your drain and manage your gray water.

This concept has been adopted by a few folks who make a steel sprayer that you can heat on your camp stove, but this is a cheap way to do this. I'd love Mnoland's sis in law to learn water discipline with a method like this.

DW and i sailed for a week on 30gal of water but we used Sailor Soap and bathed in salt water, just used the garden sprayer to wash off the salt.

Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, grey wolf, water