Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

2013 Grey Wolf 29BH - what's it worth?

I am looking to purchase a 2013 Grey Wolf 29BH from a private seller in PA, it looks to be in pretty good shape with some normal fading/yellowing of the exterior.

NADA shows the low retail to be 11k for this unit, but the seller has a couple of features that I am not sure if they were included, or were actual upgrades.

First they have the full size outside kitchen, this I am pretty sure was a $400-$500 add-on - let me know if I am wrong about that.

The rest I am not sure if it was standard or not, so I will just list and if someone can chime in and let me know, that would be great.

Power Awning
Power Tongue Jack
Ducted AC

Now the bad news. The seller claims that the slide was hit while the RV was in outdoor storage, allowing water to leak into the RV behind the slide. He made a claim against his insurance, which paid to have the slide removed by Camping World most of the cabinets from the back side of the slide to the bunkhouse replaced, treated for mold, slide put back and the unit re-pressurized.

Being that the damage was significant enough to put in a claim on his insurance, how much should that bring down the resale value, both for him and me in the future?
rfaulkner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulkner99 View Post
I
First they have the full size outside kitchen, this I am pretty sure was a $400-$500 add-on - let me know if I am wrong about that.

The rest I am not sure if it was standard or not, so I will just list and if someone can chime in and let me know, that would be great.

Power Awning
Power Tongue Jack
Ducted AC
Can anyone answer just the quoted question? Are the options above actually options, or are they standard features for the grey wolf?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #3

According to this: looks like power awning, power tongue jacks and ducted ac were all options

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-...wolf/29bh.html
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
According to this: looks like power awning and power tongue jacks and ducted ac were all options

2013 Forest River Grey Wolf 29BH Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide
Great site, thanks for that.

The only thing is, the NADA site says that the XL Package is included in this model, so I am not sure if that means that some of those items were in the XL package.

From NADA:
2013 Note

In addition to standard equipment, all Cherokee models (except 39BS, 39C, 39FL, 39H, 39KB, 39P, 39T) includes XL Package.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-...n-29bh-tr13724

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	167739
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Although, according to this site,

2013 Forest River Grey Wolf Super Lite 26DBH Travel Trailer Coldwater, MI Haylett Auto and RV Supercenter | Coldwater, MI RV Sales | Michigan RV DealerThe XL package includes the following:

(Optional Package) We have also equipped with Grey Wolf 26DBH with the Optional XL Package. This includes:
* Oversized Entry Handle (Standard: Small handle)
* RVQ QuickConnect (Standard: None)
* Bathroom Fantastic Vent Fan (Standard: Smaller Fan)
* Cloth Night Shades (Standard: Metal Blinds)
* Pull Out Sprayer Style Kitchen Faucet (Standard: Fixed Sink Faucet)
* Outside Shower (Standard: none)
* Skylight Over the Shower (Standard: none)
* Gas and Electric Water Heater with Automatic Ignition (Standard: Gas only with manual ignition)
* Patio Light (Standard: none)

However, this RV only has about half of those options, like the Shower skylight, Electric water heater, and the RVQ QuickConnect (for the outside kitchen), but not any of the rest.

It's a little confusing to say the least, but I am going to go with what you said, because even in the XL package, ducted ac, power tongue jack, and power awning are not listed.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #7

My personal opinion - unless the seller can produce detailed paperwork outlining the exact repair I would keep looking. Water damage is the last thing you want.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

Ya most have different package levels that include certain options, while other options are added individually. Honestly in the resale world of rvs ; I have personally found that condition of the unit and functionality of all individual components means more to resale value than actual options or upgrades. I would also ask for documentation of any repairs that were made as well. Make an offer with all things considered. Best of luck[emoji106]
Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

I think the ducted AC was standard, I don't see any options for a "full kitchen", either way even if they weren't standard you're only talking about 1000-1500 in additions (at a low retail price point).

My opinion on the leak.... just my opinion, I would not do it.

If I were going to think about the unit, I would be trying to pull up some carpet corners, looking under whatever is in the slide. Then climb on to and look at the top of the slide. It sounds like more was damaged than just the slide, is there signs of repairs to the slide (outside), what exactly happened and how long ago? Did they treat for mold because mold was there, or as a precaution. How long was it leaking before it was noticed and fixed? Why are they selling it now? You may never get answers to these questions but they are concerning, to me anyway.

Unless I got such a deal on that unit, where I saved enough to pay for a future problem and have the balance of the two equal low retail then I would not buy it, personally. If I thought I might have a problem and it costs me 3k, I would not pay more than 8k on that unit, then hope I don't find a problem later.

Leaks are cancer for RVs and sometimes they are not addressed properly. It is ultimately up to you but I would be leery and inspect that thing multiple times. Maybe even ask to meet you with it at a dealer you trust and get their opinion of the damage and repair.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
My personal opinion - unless the seller can produce detailed paperwork outlining the exact repair I would keep looking. Water damage is the last thing you want.

I tend to lean this way as well, I would definitely inspect the interior wall of the slide and check for any stippling of the wall paper. This is usually caused by water getting behind the paneling and should have been replaced at the time of repair. If it’s still there, it very well may still be leaking. (Stippling will feel like sand or little bumps in the wall coverings.) You definitely don’t want to buy a unit that has a leak! just my two cents
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

All great points. I took a look at the unit on Sunday, but he could not remove the cover or open the slide due to windy weather - but from what I saw of the ceiling and walls, the thing looked to be in mint condition.

I am going to see it again tomorrow night with the cover off and the slide out. I am starting to think that he did not get hit, but that he had the same problems other have experienced with the left side (rear) of the slide leaking and some water got in and damaged the cabinets. He probably could not figure out how water got in on that side of the slide, and assumed he was hit while it was in storage.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Also based on some of your comments, is it safe to assume that an RV purchased from a private seller should be very close to NADA low retail, if not lower?

I ask because while searching for an RV I have noticed many private sellers with prices closer to the NADA Average Retail price.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

I’m not entirely sure about low vs average, but I will say nobody list anything for the least amount they are willing to take
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #14

I have a 2011 Grey wolf 28' that I bought used

I should probably not say this, in case I jinx myself, but I don't have any problems with mine, and I rent mine out when I'm not using it. But I did have a slight problem with leakage from the slide when I bought it used privately owned. I just did that little trick with sliding it in and out, like it says on this forum and no more leak. I love my camper and if your reading this forum you already know what to look for. WATER DAMAGE. I bought mine for 12,500 and has everything that you were saying, so if the price is right go for it.
Big Gray Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

If you have another look at the trailer, take a fairly bright LED flashlight with you. You want place the light on the wall and shine the beam across it. You can also use the camera on your cell phone if you can turn the flash LED's on. Place the camera so you can view the span along the wall. If you see any waves or ripples, it has considerable water damage. Another thing you should do is a close inspection of the roof, caulking, seams, vents, and around windows (both inside and out).

You should take both a flashlight and a camera with you even if your buying a new RV so you can find and document anything that needs repair before you buy.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gray Wolf View Post
I should probably not say this, in case I jinx myself, but I don't have any problems with mine, and I rent mine out when I'm not using it. But I did have a slight problem with leakage from the slide when I bought it used privately owned. I just did that little trick with sliding it in and out, like it says on this forum and no more leak. I love my camper and if your reading this forum you already know what to look for. WATER DAMAGE. I bought mine for 12,500 and has everything that you were saying, so if the price is right go for it.
Did you pay low retail including the options at the time, or were they asking more than that?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #17

So, I ended up buying it. Trailer was in great condition.

They actually just had some of the trim replaced around the bottom of a couple cabinets, not the entire cabinet. There is no sign of water damage anywhere.

I paid $11,500 and I feel like I got a pretty good deal. It is a nice upgrade to my current Hybrid trailer, and it had a few features that I was not even expecting.

DSI Gas/Electric water heater
Indoor/Outdoor speakers
DVD Player with outdoor hookup
Outdoor TV bracket
Front bike/grill/generator cable lock
Fold down rear cargo carrier
LED step lights
LED light bulbs throughout (owner upgraded)
Memory foam mattress topper (owner upgraded)
Heavy duty cover with some time left on extended warranty replacement (owner purchased)

Oh, and a touchscreen remote that works the slide, the power awning, and the outside bug light.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Congratulations man, exciting times

Tags
2013, grey wolf