Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
GreyWolfGig

2013 Grey Wolf questions

Hi....we just bought a brand new Grey Wolf 26DBH last week....and had it out camping this past weekend in northwest Michigan. Of course it rained cats and dogs continuously from Saturday morning til late sunday afternoon. This is our 4th camper.....2nd with a slideout. We closed up camp in the pouring rain like we normally would....but only with rain gear on. When we returned home and entered the inside of the camper.....we had a couple medium sized puddles of water on the floor at each end of the slideout.....along with a few acorns. We are scheduled to take the camper back in a couple weeks to have a slideout awning installed. This was planned prior to this past rainy weekend. I had one on the camper we traded in....and had no problems at all with water in that one. Just posing or asking the question to camper owners with slides that do not cover them with awnings.....as I notice many people with RV's that don't have slide awnings. Is water being deposited from slideouts into the camper after closing....a common thing after a lot of rain? Or should most be kept outside the camper by the seal system thats on the camper? Any info would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper & Truck.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	20726  
GreyWolfGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

I've never had water or other debris enter the camper from the top of the slide. Maybe I'm just lucky? My last week long camping trip I did sweep of the top of the slide because of 3 large trees dropping acorns every 5 minutes. I don't normally sweep off the slide, but I knew there had to be quite a few acorns on top.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
GreyWolfGig

Thank you for the quick reply. Yea we have spoke to a few people that we camp with that have slides...that say they have not had any issues like that neither. But our salesman that sold us the camper claims that this is a common issue with all slides. And says the awning or slide topper will take care of it. My hope is that someone with a newer grey Wolf like ours will either come on here and say they have had the same issue.....or say they have not. Either way it will help me decide my next course of action.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

We have a 2013 Grey Wold 26DBH, and we have not had this issue, and we did camp in the rain a few days.
Lingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
GreyWolfGig

Question for you.....since it sounds like you have not had yours very long. Did you retract your slide wet? Or was it dry when you pulled it in?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfGig View Post
Question for you.....since it sounds like you have not had yours very long. Did you retract your slide wet? Or was it dry when you pulled it in?

I guess I didn't pay much attention? We have had our since July... There shouldn't be water standing inside your camper from the slid out.
Lingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
GreyWolfGig

Yea...thats what we are thinking as well. Tonite we plan on doing some inspecting with a water hose.....ladder.... and my wife at the control helm with a quick switch finger. We ordered the camper back in late August....and just picked it up a week and a half ago. Had a great first weekend out in it.....til we noticed the water and a few acorns on the floor when we got home. It was somewhat of a downer. Hopefully we won't get to much of a runaround from the dealer. It is afterall under factory warranty.....and we did purchase an 84 month extended warranty. Its the point however that a week old camper just doesn't seem right that this is happening. Again thanx for your input.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfGig View Post
Hi....we just bought a brand new Grey Wolf 26DBH last week....and had it out camping this past weekend in northwest Michigan. Of course it rained cats and dogs continuously from Saturday morning til late sunday afternoon. This is our 4th camper.....2nd with a slideout. We closed up camp in the pouring rain like we normally would....but only with rain gear on. When we returned home and entered the inside of the camper.....we had a couple medium sized puddles of water on the floor at each end of the slideout.....along with a few acorns. We are scheduled to take the camper back in a couple weeks to have a slideout awning installed. This was planned prior to this past rainy weekend. I had one on the camper we traded in....and had no problems at all with water in that one. Just posing or asking the question to camper owners with slides that do not cover them with awnings.....as I notice many people with RV's that don't have slide awnings. Is water being deposited from slideouts into the camper after closing....a common thing after a lot of rain? Or should most be kept outside the camper by the seal system thats on the camper? Any info would be great.
We bought a '13 Grey Wolf 28BH in April. Very similar story to yours concerning the puddles, however our slide was closed during a downpour. Took it into the dealer for that issue and a few other minor things. Dealer said the "slide drains" were clogged up with sawdust from when they built the camper. They cleaned it out and cleaned all the seals and problem solved. Like I said, a few minor things, but totally enjoy the camper. We have been out 4x now, getting ready to go out the last weekend of October.
briddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

I have a 2012 Grey Wolf 28BH and didn't have a choice but to bring the slide in in similar weather last year. Water went absolutely everywhere. I had every towel in my camper catching water running off the ends of the slide. You are supposed to go up every time and sweep the top off so that sticks and acorns don't tear or jam the weather seal. I think it was worth every penny that I paid to install the slide awning and not to have to worry about it anymore.
burnie12 is offline   Reply With Quote