Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

2014 Cherokee 254Q - Sewer Smell Inside

Ok folks, never had this issue before. Black tank is a clean as I can get it, I had a Tornado installed when I bought it and even flushed out with a flexible wand a couple days back, it still smells like a rest room inside, then I noticed on the bathroom medicine cabinet that the unit is equipped with a 360 siphon fume extractor. (360 Products Inc) Well looking at their web site and the vent on my roof they look nothing alike. Has anyone heard of this and does it work?

any help is appreciated.
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
Ok folks, never had this issue before. Black tank is a clean as I can get it, I had a Tornado installed when I bought it and even flushed out with a flexible wand a couple days back, it still smells like a rest room inside, then I noticed on the bathroom medicine cabinet that the unit is equipped with a 360 siphon fume extractor. (360 Products Inc) Well looking at their web site and the vent on my roof they look nothing alike. Has anyone heard of this and does it work?

any help is appreciated.
Check the toilet for manufaturer name and model number. It should be posted on a label on the side/lower area or check the rear with a mirror. If you have this make/model, it has a known history of having a seam leak. Call Dometic if you have this unit and they will correct the issue. Otherwise, no recommendations or thoughts on this issue.+
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention at first smell, I didn't have any water in the bowl and the dealer told me that was the issue as water would keep the smell from coming around the seal, kinda made sense as your home toilet has water in it, so I took some water out and dumped it in the bowl and it did seem to knock down the odor somewhat but not enough as to not smell something.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

Just went out to look for serial number and didn't see one but the stick on label still on the seat says Dometic 300 series toilet.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Read this.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-43509.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

Seen a couple threads on this. Most of the folks say the toilet is shipped to them and I guess they are installing, how does this affect warranty?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #7

Final note, I contacted Dometic and gave them my serial number and sure enough it's a defective toilet and they are sending me a replacement due to arrive next Wednesday. If nothing else their customer support is the best. According to spokesperson the warranty is not affected by installing yourself.

Thanks to all for the valuable information.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Always Learning

A little late now, but I wasn't interested in tackling the install myself. I had Dometic ship the toilet directly to an authorized service center and they installed it in a day.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

My dealer is over an hour away. Someone posted it only took around 30 minutes to install, so figured I would do it myself. Now the disposal of the old one will be the next issue.

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Got the new toilet and installed today, got a major problem as I broke the water fitting screwing it on the toilet. Is this something I can repair myself? The water hose does not come out of the floor anymore than already exposed, I can't win for losing and have a trip in 2 weeks. I applied some glue but can't imagine that will do anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water fitting.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	65524  
Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Always Learning

Which part broke? The part coming out of the floor or the part on the toilet?

If toilet, that's called a water valve. Pull the one off of the old toilet.

If the floor, you can cut it off and put another on. People say to use "shark bite" fittings. While you're at it, install a water shut off there so you can turn off water to just the toilet if it is ever needed.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

thanks for the reply, been real busy getting the parts to repair this mess. the 1/2 inch female thread broke in half, in the picture it was glued and of course didn't hold. I ended up cutting the 1/2 in tube coming out of the floor and put a Watts quick connect 90 degree fitting and hooked up a flex line to connect to the toilet. I was looking everywhere to find a shut off valve and no one (Lowes,Home Depot or Ace) had one. I still want to find one and put it on. Quick connect fittings are the only way to go.

Forgot to mention, I stripped the old bowl of everything I could get off it to keep around.

Tags
2014, cherokee