Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

2014 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26 DBH

Hey everyone....

We just purchased a new Grey Wolf 26 DBH. We really like it. The floor plan is perfect for our family and everything seems to work great.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated since this is our very first travel trailer.

Thanks in advance,
Eddie & Tasha
GhostCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Grey Wolf 26 DBH.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Welcome from mid California - Enjoy, if this is your first camper be sure and research proper methods for using and emptying the holding tanks.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. Ah yes, the wonderful holding tanks. My favorite part of camping! LOL. Got some good advice, but the one thing I keep getting opposing opinions is when to empty the black water. Some say it's okay to empty before it's full, while others say to wait until its full. Not to sure what to do in this case.
Also, I ordered a small fan for the fridge. I heard it helps to keep things cooled down.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Think about the logic involved, you have a tank with both liquids and solids. The solids need to stay submerged for the treatment chemicals to be able to disolve it, the toilet paper has to have time to come apart and disperse into the liquid, (make sure you don't use home TP quilted and such will not breakdown in the tank and it will eventually plug things up and/or get hung up on your level sensors). You want that black tank as full as possible when dumping this way as much decomp has taken place as possible (even if you need to run more water in to get the level higher before dumping) then when draining the larger volume will help float the remaining solids out and down the drain. Drain the Grey tank last so the soapy water can clean your drain hoose of the black tank material.

If you allow the liquid to run out without taking the solids with it, it will form whats referred to as a pyramid (guess of what) then it will be very difficult to remove (you don't want to go there). Do as many clean water flushes as necessary until only clear water is coming out of the black tank. Using a clear plastic adapter between the tank connection and the drain hose so you will be able to confirm when only clear water is draining out.

If you listen to those that say you can drain a low level black tank or even let it drain down the sewer as you camp you will regret it, I guaranty that.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #6

That makes perfect sense. It was never really explained to me. My thought was why drive around with a half full tank of Black Water when you can just empty it? But I understand now. The last thing I want is to have a problem with the black water tank. Since this is our first camper, I still have a lot to learn about them in order to properly maintain it. I am not one to learn things the hard way. LOL.
If there are any other things I need to know, I welcome the feedback.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Welcome from Arkansas. Newbie here too
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

We also just purchased a Grey Wolf 26 DBH. We pick it up on Oct 4. and planning on using it for the first time on Oct 10 for 4 nights. Can't Wait!!!!
JEFF1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCop View Post
That makes perfect sense. It was never really explained to me. My thought was why drive around with a half full tank of Black Water when you can just empty it? But I understand now. The last thing I want is to have a problem with the black water tank. Since this is our first camper, I still have a lot to learn about them in order to properly maintain it. I am not one to learn things the hard way. LOL.
If there are any other things I need to know, I welcome the feedback.
Depends on how far you are going or how long it will be in the tank, sometimes I add more water and get the tank up to 3/4 and dump it before breaking camp. Be sure to have grey water available to flush out your hose.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

We got one of those small fans also. It does seem to help on really hot days. Don't forget to prop your fridge doors open when it is off, so it doesn't get moldy in there.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

For sure on the open doors. Nothing like a FOUL smelling fridge! LOL

Also, leveling the trailer is not as easy as I thought it would be. That small level in the front doesn't really tell the whole story.

What is the best and easiest way to be sure the trailer is level? I did the best I could with the level in the front, then just went by feel. I guess I could have rolled a little ball around inside until it stayed put, lol.

Our first time out went pretty well. The ground was not level at all, so I was running around like a mad man getting everything set up while Tasha took care of things inside. The kids did the best they could staying out of the way while we set up.

The A/C worked great, lighting was good, and fridge did a good job of keeping things cool as long as it was not opened to often.

The hard part was getting used to the bed. OMG....Although Tasha put a thin memory foam mattress on top, it was still like sleeping on a board. Better than my old military bunk, but not much better.

It was a great time though. Fishing in a creek that ran close to the camp site and laughing at Tasha while she attempted to catch some small fish stealing her bait. Good times....That's what it's all about.

Thanks for the info everyone. Every little bit helps make thing easier for our next outing.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

i have a 24" level that I bring with me. i put it right behind the ball hitch before i unhook to check my side to side level, i have had to put 2 x6's under the tires on one side a few times to level it that way. then i chalk and unhook. put the level in the doorway of the trailer ( my door is half way down the trailer) and use the jack to go up or down to level from front to back.

its work well for me so far.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #13

Do you use the stacking leveling blocks? They don't take up much space. I just leave mine in the trailer. I also use a 24" level. half a bubble is 1 leveling block, a whole buble is 2 blocks. I've never needed more than 2 so far. And def. chock the wheels before you unhook.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

I use stackable leveling blocks as you stack them they create a ramp then use the TV to pull or push the TT up on them (called Linx Blocks, RV store or Ebay etc) for side to side leveling there are lots of instructional videos on You Tube for this. Level side to side first then use you tongue jack for front to back then lower your stablizers, remember stablizers are not for leveling they will bend if too much weight is placed on them. For the bed we had the same issue brand new mattress, hard as a rock. We went o Costco and got their 4" gel foam mattress it's great we liked it so much we bought one for home.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #15

Yes I have a WONDERFUL tip for you! We purchased a 2013 26 DBH from our dealer a little over a year ago. Loved the trailer itself but had a list of trouble with it! The thing that ruined it for us was the axle placement/alignment. When measuring hub to hub (center of wheel to center of wheel) On the driver side and comparing it to the passenger side there was 3/4" difference meaning the axles weren't aligned with themselves properly. Then I measured from the tip of the hitch to each side of each axle. I came up with a measurement of this being something like 3" different. I got to investigating and came up with the mounts for the springs were welded into the wrong locations. This meant that the axles weren't square with the trailer itself as well as the axles were fighting each other!

Needless to say we took a longer trip of roughly 800 miles one way and notice some SEVERE tire wear and this is how I stumbled up the mis alignment...

I have since talked to a few other people I know that have bought the same trailer exact style of trailer (26 dbh) and some within the same maker but different models that were finding this same issue!

So my suggestion is get the tape measure out and measure these SOON!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote