Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
The Busted Wrench

2015 274RK Decals coming off.

I have to admit, we were very excited to take delivery of this trailer when we picked it up in April of 2015 from Tri City RV in Bay City Michigan.

I won't dive into all the issues we have had with the trailer (5 trips back to the dealer in less than two years) or all of the horrible build quality issues it has because this latest issue, has taken the cake, I think.

I noticed the edges of these decals starting to curl up last May. I was told that there was nothing that TCRV could do about it, because it was out of the base warranty and the extended warranty we bought didn't cover such things.

I tried again to get them covered when we took the trailer in for service at the end of last season for a laundry list of issues. At this point, the Cherokee letters were almost peeled off, as you see them here. Again, no can do.

When I get the trailer out of storage this year, this is what I find. I'm sorry but this is just uncalled for. The paint on the front of the trailer is so dry, you would swear the trailer is 20+ years old. ZERO issues with paint or decals on any other part of the trailer. Not to mention these decals. Now, as you can see, the paint is now pealing off with the main decal.

Forest River Customer Service has offered to send me new decals, that's it. No paint repair and ZERO labor. I hate to be that person but it is time for us to take some sort of legal direction to get this fixed. $30,000 trailer that looks 20 years old after just over 2 years old.

And trust me, it gets regular cleanings with automotive grade wash/wax. NO harsh chemicals are used on it other than spot cleaning with RV grade, off the shelf, black streak remover.

After all that we've dealt with for problems with this trailer, and now this, I could never, in good faith, recommend this brand to anyone in the future. It's been a real bummer for us for sure. At this point, we will probably repair it and look to get out of camping altogether, in the near future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	137237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	137238

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	137239

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	137240

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	137241
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
RND

I've had my Cherokee 274dbh just over a year and of course, out of warranty too. My Cherokee decals are starting to peel just as yours are. Just the letters at this point but after having it only a year, have to say, I'm disappointed as well. Sorry to hear your story and the list of issues you had to deal with. It's certainly frustrating for sure. I have to say, I think it's just the industry and lack of craftsmanship, customer service, and so forth. My buddy had an RV that he paid over $250k for, numerous issues that the company reluctantly dealt with and with poor service and zero urgency. He had it less than a year and moved on to a new one.
Regardless of what one pays, I think that everyone deserves the attention that is needed but these companies don't seem to take the time or effort, let alone concern, that is needed too satisfy their customers. Sad situation. Hope you change your mind and continue too camp/RV.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
2009 Yamaha Yz250f
RND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

I would'nt get out of camping because of some decals. Lol! I expect mine to peel off. You have to understand before you buy what you are buying. A rapidly deteriorating asset built to a barely accepted standard. Use the thing. Peel those decals off and polish the thing as best as you can and enjoy it before the roof caves in. Let everyone see how they age. Paint the year model on the front cap. Lol! You bail out now you are really going to lose.
ronj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

I get it but just buy a OEM decal to replace it and you are good. The decals will cost far less than you will loose selling it. Happy camping.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

I peeled that generic wolf off the first week I had her. But hope the others don't start peeling.
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj82 View Post
I would'nt get out of camping because of some decals. Lol! I expect mine to peel off. You have to understand before you buy what you are buying. A rapidly deteriorating asset built to a barely accepted standard. Use the thing. Peel those decals off and polish the thing as best as you can and enjoy it before the roof caves in. Let everyone see how they age. Paint the year model on the front cap. Lol! You bail out now you are really going to lose.

Seriously, you make it sound like I'm bailing out just over the decals, like a spoiled little brat.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it (rapidly deteriorating asset comment), trust me, but after over 20 years in the automotive repair industry, I have never seen such a poorly built unit give a customer so much trouble and the customer NOT be taken care of.

Really, in all honestly, these decals are not going to cost FR that much money to take care of. It's obviously a known issue (I see a TON of similar cases floating around the net) so why not just buck up and keep a customer?

The main reason why we will more than likely sell (AFTER I can make the trailer look presentable by repairing the decals and paint) is BECAUSE of how much of a poor investment this has been on top of the horrible customer service from the manufacture.

We love camping as much as the next couple but I'm not just going to just "take it" because "that's just the way things are" with RVs, sorry.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
Seriously, you make it sound like I'm bailing out just over the decals, like a spoiled little brat.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it (rapidly deteriorating asset comment), trust me, but after over 20 years in the automotive repair industry, I have never seen such a poorly built unit give a customer so much trouble and the customer NOT be taken care of.

Really, in all honestly, these decals are not going to cost FR that much money to take care of. It's obviously a known issue (I see a TON of similar cases floating around the net) so why not just buck up and keep a customer?

The main reason why we will more than likely sell (AFTER I can make the trailer look presentable by repairing the decals and paint) is BECAUSE of how much of a poor investment this has been on top of the horrible customer service from the manufacture.

We love camping as much as the next couple but I'm not just going to just "take it" because "that's just the way things are" with RVs, sorry.
So you think giant stickers shouldnt come off over a couple years period of time? Seriously you being in the automotive industry you should understand that if you want a decal to last you have to clear coat over it. Those decals have edges and water gets under them also the sun dries the cheap material out. You are the one posting all the pictures complaining not me. I agree they are built like crap.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #8
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
So you think giant stickers shouldnt come off over a couple years period of time? Seriously you being in the automotive industry you should understand that if you want a decal to last you have to clear coat over it. Those decals have edges and water gets under them also the sun dries the cheap material out. You are the one posting all the pictures complaining not me. I agree they are built like crap.

Yes, I do. Our 2004 Mallard had all of the original decals on it, with zero issues, when we sold it to bought this trailer. All original according to the previous owner. (We bought it used in 2013)

Thanks for coming into this thread though and making this MY problem. I was merely making this thread to share my experiences, nothing more.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes, I do. Our 2004 Mallard had all of the original decals on it, with zero issues, when we sold it to bought this trailer. All original according to the previous owner. (We bought it used in 2013)

Thanks for coming into this thread though and making this MY problem. I was merely making this thread to share my experiences, nothing more.
Glad i could help! Heh! But seriously peel the stickers off and goo gone it. Run a orbital over it and stop stressing over it. If it were mine i would just leave the decals off. I dont care for them anyway. Less to worry with.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Glad i could help! Heh! But seriously peel the stickers off and goo gone it. Run a orbital over it and stop stressing over it. If it were mine i would just leave the decals off. I dont care for them anyway. Less to worry with.

I certainly would love to be able to do just that, except for this small issue here. Look closely. Seen the bare aluminum? Not going to be that easy of a fix, unfortunately.

Even so, why should I be fixing this, on my own dime, after just two years? If this trailer had sat on a dealers lot unsold for two years (the pealing actually started after the first year if you read back through my first post) FR would be jumping all over fixing this.

The automotive decals pealing argument also does not hold water either. Do some peel? Sure. Not as quick or as easily as this. Plus, the paint on an automobile doesn't dry out this fast either. These trailers are meant to be outside. If the manufactures (and I know all of them are not having this issue, we camp often and I have seen many trailers without this issue so...) are not coating these trailers with the correct paint and decals, that's not my fault as the consumer. I can say that had I known these were going to do this within a years time, I certainly wouldn't have bought the trailer.

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	137302
Old 05-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #11

Quote:
I certainly would love to be able to do just that, except for this small issue here. Look closely. Seen the bare aluminum? Not going to be that easy of a fix, unfortunately.

Even so, why should I be fixing this, on my own dime, after just two years? If this trailer had sat on a dealers lot unsold for two years (the pealing actually started after the first year if you read back through my first post) FR would be jumping all over fixing this.

The automotive decals pealing argument also does not hold water either. Do some peel? Sure. Not as quick or as easily as this. Plus, the paint on an automobile doesn't dry out this fast either. These trailers are meant to be outside. If the manufactures (and I know all of them are not having this issue, we camp often and I have seen many trailers without this issue so...) are not coating these trailers with the correct paint and decals, that's not my fault as the consumer. I can say that had I known these were going to do this within a years time, I certainly wouldn't have bought the trailer.

Attachment 137302
Sometimes you have to just run what you brung. Maybe next time get the super extended warranty? At least the aluminum wont rust... here is a plan. Peel off the decal and in a couple of years all of the rest of the paint should flake off. Then polish the aluminum to a pretty shine. Thats my plan when mine does it. Lol!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #12
The Busted Wrench

In person, it actually looks like they stuck the decal on, masked it off and then painted it. If that's the case, the new decal will go right over the same spot, prep the rest of the old paint, put the Cherokee letters on and clear over all of it.

The "Limited" emblem sure is a bit of an oxymoron now.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 AM   #13

That might be what they did. Doesnt make much sense but not much does with these things. They are so cheap they probably do that to save on paint costs. And being aluminum there isnt need for rust protection.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #14

Either way if you can get the new decal to cover up the bare spot and clear over all of it it should be good. Clear coat is cheap just need the equipment to spray it.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #15

Decals coming off

We have an FR Rockwood. Bought it used (2015 model). First time we took it to the RV wash, the front decal just slid right off! Fortunately, there seems to be little to no residue left to look bad...just a blank white cap, but one has to wonder what kind of adhesion method they used if it just slides off when washed!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #16

Decals

Use a hair blow dryer on medium heat and plastic putty knive and decal comes off easy. Did my wildwood rv a few years back and it peeled off like butter. Contacted my dealer he ordered new decals from FR stuck new ones one. Very simple task. Hope this helps
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #17
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
Use a hair blow dryer on medium heat and plastic putty knive and decal comes off easy. Did my wildwood rv a few years back and it peeled off like butter. Contacted my dealer he ordered new decals from FR stuck new ones one. Very simple task. Hope this helps

I don't think I want to peel this one any more than it has by itself so far. That's bare aluminum showing now. Paint is so dull, on the whole front of the trailer, that even a plastic putty knife will leave a mark.

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	137364
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #18

Sorry you are having such bad issues with this. Seems to be a paint issue as well as a decal issue. It is too bad that the dealer could not have gotten Forest River to fix this. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #19

If the big auto makers such as Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota ect. built their autos with the same quality the camper industry does and had the same customer relations the car makers would be out of business in a second.
I do believe the camper makers know we as buyers will just "take it" or the makers would change there tune. We want to camp so bad... We all know we are buying a crummy built unit. I really believe there is no such thing as a WELL BUILT CAMPER.
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 AM   #20

Decals should not peel after 2 or 3 years, even the ones made of cheap knock off vinyl. It's a surface prep problem or installation issue and possibly in the OP's case, a paint prep problem. The knock off vinyl is prone to sun fade, shrinkage and cracking way earlier than if they would of used the good vinyl such as Oracal or 3M, but usually they do not peel. Like everything else It's all about the wow factor done as cheaply as possible.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote