Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

2016 26DBH Newbie Questions

Hi all- we just purchased our first trailer, a 26DBH and will pick it up in a couple weeks! We have some questions that we didn't think of when making our decision (did I mention this is our first trailer? ). Thought I'd ask here before heading back to the dealer.

-It has been suggested to me that we get an inverter installed so we can use the outlets with our battery if needed. I send an email to the salesman but his reply was mostly why would you need that and mentioned going to an auto parts store to buy one. lol Is an inverter something worth getting?

-It was also suggested we get two 6 volt batteries installed instead of the one 12 volt. Again is that something worth doing?

-Will we need to buy hoses to use to fill the trailer with water or to drain the tanks?

-We are looking at booking some camp sites, is the power needed 30 or 50 amp?

-Is the mattress in the main bedroom a standard queen? My wife already wants to replace it.

-What size TV would you recommend we get?

-Understand the TV mount isn't all that great, but I saw the plastic piece on the wall and the outside. Does it come with another part that attaches to the TV?

-Any other suggestions or advise for a first time trailer and 26DBH owner?

Thank you!
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

Welcome, Gargoyle! We have a 274DBH which is very similar to your new trailer. If you try to run appliances off an inverter without shore power, you will drain the battery very quickly. If you do a lot of dry camping it might be worth looking in to switching the 12v battery for two 6v batteries, but this is quite a bit of expense. As far a hoses go, I would wait until delivery, sometimes the dealer provides a 'starter kit' which includes a water hose and a drain hose, which will be the cheapest one available. I would recommend replacing it as soon as possible with a Rhino hose. Your trailer uses 30 amp hookups. The mattress is not a standard size. It is shorter that a standard queen. I think your tv mount is identical to mine. We got a 32" and it fits well, anything larger will probably be difficult to get mounted. I hope this helps. Another suggestion is remember, RV accessories are like most anything else, you get what you pay for. I have found in general it is best to stay from the cheapest stuff.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Thank you! Looks like we need a short queen mattress, didn't know there was such a thing. lol Will look into the Rhino hoses as well as a 32" TV.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

I've got a 28BH - fairly similar to yours, as well..

klrobert's steered you in the right direction; and I agree.

Queen Short's are a little tough to find, and fairly pricey, from what we saw - we put a 2" queen memory foam topper on our factory mattress, and it's totally acceptable to us now.

We have a 32" TV as well, but the mount included didn't fit it... I stand it up on the entertainment centre when we're setup, and make it into the bed for travel. We've never used it outside, so it's been a non-issue.

Our dealer gave us a store credit when we picked up our trailer - used that for hoses, etc.

As for what you'll need/want - well, here's what I carry in mine - judge accordingly.

Good weight-distributing hitch - hopefully the dealer set you up with that already...

35' of sewer hose (15' Rhino - 20' cheapie for when the Rhino isn't long enough)
50' water hose (overkill, but I'm never short) and pressure-reducer
25' and 10' 30A electrical extension cords
50' 15A extension cord with 30A adapter
6x6 block for tongue jack
Assorted 2x6 boards for levelling and under the stabilizers

Come to think of it, I carry a lot of stuff... LOL

Enjoy the new trailer - we're loving ours!

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

We just got our first trailer in May and it is also a 26DBH. Everything the others have said are exactly what we did. We got a good quality foam topper for the bed and just trimmed the end down, I sleep very good. I did also change out all the inside bulbs to led to help conserve the battery life. Ours came with a basic 24 cell so I just added another for now but will switch to 6v when those go out. However we did add 200 watt solar panel so never worry about power- we boondock 99% of the time and the solar has the batteries charged by noon, we also have a generator for when we need it or to run the air. I didn't add a hard wired inverter to it I found a 300w inverter that fits in the 12v cigeratte lighter type plug and it runs our 32" tv and also charges our phones when needed.

Our dealer gave us the starter package free- cheap basic stuff but will suffice till you know what you want. I do suggest better quality dump hose and a clear 45 degree fitting to help see when the black tank is clean.

Another thing is the shower sucks... Nothing to hold the soap or shampoo. We got a shower caddy and also upgraded the shower head.

We also added a lockable door knob to the interior bathroom door and a toilet paper holder..

My most recent upgrade was I added the dexter ez flex suspension. The stock bushings are plastic and it made a ton of noise. The dexter has the ability to grease the bushings and the ride is far superior. When I took it apart some of the original bushings were already worn through only after about 700 miles- scary.

Lots of good info here and a few Facebook groups as well. It's fun and lots of learning along the way.
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Accordion style dump hose supports very helpful. Chemicals for holding tanks. RV type toilet paper. Assortment of bungee cords and duct tape.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Thumbs up Queen topper

Walmart sells a memory foam topper for 147.00 . you need to trim it down to fit but will give you a wonderful nights sleep.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the additional info! The wife is in charge of the bed. I can pretty much sleep on anything, she is the picky one! Have the hoses ordered(water and other lol), extension cords, the LED lights is a good idea! I did notice the shower head, that has to go. Wife is dragging me to Ikea on Sunday for various storage and such things. We pick up the trailer on her birthday and she is super excited.

Two generators ordered, hopefully I'll be so relaxed while camping I'll forgot how much those cost!

Timna- what solar panel did you get?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #9

Cool What I got when I got my first travel trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle999 View Post
Hi all- we just purchased our first trailer, a 26DBH and will pick it up in a couple weeks! We have some questions that we didn't think of when making our decision (did I mention this is our first trailer? ). Thought I'd ask here before heading back to the dealer.

-It has been suggested to me that we get an inverter installed so we can use the outlets with our battery if needed. I send an email to the salesman but his reply was mostly why would you need that and mentioned going to an auto parts store to buy one. lol Is an inverter something worth getting?

-It was also suggested we get two 6 volt batteries installed instead of the one 12 volt. Again is that something worth doing?

-Will we need to buy hoses to use to fill the trailer with water or to drain the tanks?

-We are looking at booking some camp sites, is the power needed 30 or 50 amp?

-Is the mattress in the main bedroom a standard queen? My wife already wants to replace it.

-What size TV would you recommend we get?

-Understand the TV mount isn't all that great, but I saw the plastic piece on the wall and the outside. Does it come with another part that attaches to the TV?

-Any other suggestions or advise for a first time trailer and 26DBH owner?

Thank you!
Since most dealers don't "give" free sets and usually charge you a higher price for a Walmart trailer kit, I don't recommend getting it. I got my trailer from a dealer that had better prices then everyone else but they didn't give you a starter kit that you could pick up from Walmart for cheaper. They did charge me for the items they sell and added it to the trailer total. Now this is where you need to decide what to finance and pay Interest on. I got a weight distribution hitch so my truck will ride level. The one I got an ez hitch from fastway, round bar, has less points to make noise. When you do turn, unless you got the plastic insert in, sold separately, it will goan and squeak on turms, I use some WD-40 on both ends of contact for the round bar. Reduced the noise by like 80-90%.

And before I forget, check out the owners manual and look for extend manufacturing warranty, I paid about $150 for a second year from forest river. Its in the owners manual that most don't read. The dealer I went to has only did it once before me, so many don't know of this.

Trailer brake controller like tekonsha P2 or better is recommend and what's on my truck.

I bought a locking arm TV mount that can swing around, love it! Paid $30 or so on Amazon. The outside bracket is usually a second mount for the TV mount you have inside.

Weight in mind, make sure you don't overload, if unsure head down to a weight station, some already know how to weigh you, tow vehicle, then both, then trailer. Usually done in one shot.

If you want to do more boon docking ( no hookups) I recommend a large solor panel 200-400 watts, depending on how much you use, run time, you want and size of battery bank.

Two 6volt battery will last more than twice as long then a deep cycle 12volt, way longer.
I started with the battery they sold me and, I use trailer every other weekend like clockwork, was no good after two cycles of storage and trips. A month and battery was bad.
Costco, interstate batteries are the way to go. $90 bucks a piece for the 6volt golf car batteries. 42 month replacement warrenty. Not pro rated.
As for the drain hose kit, get a hold its shape hose cause you want a good one. Or a hose slunky and decent name brand hose with the 4way threaded end for easy setup, cheaper 10-20' drain hose for the times your good one is too short.
A clear section, I use a 90° clear elbow to see when I'm done flushing tank(s).

25' Drinking hose, different then a waterhose, 45 psi water pressure regulator, 90°elbow for hose to RV connection, a water filter of sorts,

30amp to 15 amp adapter. 30 most common, won't hurt to carry extra adapter or extension if you plan for generator use to keep noise down.

RV toilet paper is expensive so buy in bulk for cheaper or find a place that has sales on it, I go to camping world when they have the twoply on sale, most are one-ply.

Chemicals for the black tank, future will need for the gray tank if you hold grey water for long periods of time. Remember you need gray water to flush your hose after you drain the black tank, so you will always be holding some grey water, I do at least half to 3/4 of a tank.

Wheel chocks and blocks for leveling, get the good yellow heavy-duty ones, not the cheaper weaker ones. Do not get them from Walmart. The orange sets don't last.
Camping world is always sold out of the good yellow ones that come with there own carry case, and get the wheel chock set that matches it, helps soo much when the ground is a mess.

Door mat, good heavy duty one outside, softer one inside. Keeps dirt down.

Pizza stone and thermometer for the oven. Make sure to secure during travel or it will bounce around and break, but well worth the trouble to even out the cooking.

Tow mirrors if not equipped on your tow vehicle.
As for the bed, topper or a new mattresse.
Short queen can become a long queen with a foamblock same width as bed 6"x6" or whatever your mats thickness is. And put it at the head of bead if you got the space.

A fan for the RV fridge does wonders.

A three piece trailer lock set from resse Towing is the best price and I get three locks, hitch lock, locking pin for hicth on trailer side, and hitch lock for the ball side.

A roll of gorilla tape, pex push on fittings, bug candles, folding chairs, small shovel, wood for jacks or when you have a flat, airpump for tire, decent small folding table, toys for kids, extra sheets I'd they have an accident, extra seals for drain hose-water hose, extra drinking hose 30' second larger fire extinguisher, RV mats large, hatchet for firewood and 5lb sledge to help the hatchet.

Yeah, I carry a lot of stuff cause I mentioned half of what I carry all the time. What can you say, I was a boyscout.

Just so you know, I have a Salem cruise lite T281QBXL With outdoor kitchen, three bunks, one queen, 15k AC, full tub/shower.
Love it and the truck I tow it with.
2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6 V8 Extra-cab with tow/haul package (8,600lbs tow capacity)

Sorry this was so long, got carried away.
Safe and happy travels to you and your family.
george6robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

The 30amp to 15amp has been suggested a couple times. What is that used for?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #11

camping world has the 2ply on sale! added the water deodorizer, 90deg hose connection, 45psi regulater. Didn't know rv frigde fans existed, but added that.

Hopefully the hitch we got is good. I know it's weight distributing and $700 better not be junk. lol

I'm driving a 2014 Ram 1500, has built in trailer break control. I also ordered a backup camera. Backing up a trailer will be new to me, figure having some visual help would be a good idea.

Anyone know the lug nut size? Want to get some locking ones since this will be in outdoor storage when we are not using it.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #12

Another question: what size cookie sheet fits in the oven?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 AM   #13

Just allows you to plug in the 30amp RV plug into a standard 120 volt 15/20 outlet. RV plug is large and a special outlet is required. If you have space at home for it, like I do now, I park it behind the house and plug it in to charge the battery or run the microwave. I myself will be adding the 30amo outlet to my house so I can run the AC. Yes, I have run the AC on a 20amp outlet using the 30amp female to 15 amp male plug adapter, hooked up to a heavy duty extension cord, 100', only cause i keept everything else off, fridge on propane, and **** off the other Breakers I was not wanting to use, like the converter that runs all the 12volt electrical and charge the battery. I do not recommend this though, just stated what I did in a pinch on a hot day while parked behind a family members house that I was visiting.
george6robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #14

I purchased the renogy 100w kit with a mppt controller. I found it wasn't enough for extended days or cloudy days. I added an additional 100 w panel and it is more than enough for our needs.

Are the costco 6v good quality? I was looking at the T 105 I found a place local to me that the price is very good but $90 for the costco if they are good then that maybe the way to go.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #15

shower drains to black 26DBH?

I just bought a 2016 Grey Wolf and I found out while camping last weekend the shower drains to the black tank. Does any one else have this problem? To me this is some BS it fills up why to fsst. So unhappy with this trailer now. Took it to the dealer and they comf it confirmed it for me.
hotheadbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #16

Check to see if your shower drains into the black tank instead of the grey.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #17

I'll find out Monday!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #18

My shower also drains to the black tank I contacted the warranty manager for Forest River and got this reply-

The shower to black tank was something we followed but didn't agree with from our Indiana facility, there are a few units out there built this way until production made changes to those floor plans. We would be happy to work with The dealer to get this remedied for you.

They have been wonderful in addressing the situation so far. however the dealer can't look at it until July 7th but we are camping then so I will live with it until we get back. When I called the dealer asked them if they ever experienced this he said in 20yrs this is the first he will have worked on. Not sure the extent of the fix maybe simple as splicing into existing grey drain. I am planning on a extended time for the repair.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timna View Post
My shower also drains to the black tank I contacted the warranty manager for Forest River and got this reply-

The shower to black tank was something we followed but didn't agree with from our Indiana facility, there are a few units out there built this way until production made changes to those floor plans. We would be happy to work with The dealer to get this remedied for you.

They have been wonderful in addressing the situation so far. however the dealer can't look at it until July 7th but we are camping then so I will live with it until we get back. When I called the dealer asked them if they ever experienced this he said in 20yrs this is the first he will have worked on. Not sure the extent of the fix maybe simple as splicing into existing grey drain. I am planning on a extended time for the repair.
Thank you by chance do you have the number you called and the name of the person you spoke to?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #20

What location are you in? I spoke with the west rep her name is Jackie. Here is there contact site Cherokee Grey Wolf Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

click that then the next page hit contact and will give you the phone number and a email option.

Tags