Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

2016 27DBH-So many problems.

Hi all, we got a new 27DBH in April and have had issues with it ever since. It's sitting on the lot at the RV Shop right now after another round of issues being repaired. I explained to them three problems that they are telling me are "just fine".

1. The front door does not close properly, even though the back one is just fine. We have to slam it for it to latch, and I've had it come open when driving down the road. Dealership opens and closes it with no issue on the lot, so they say it's fine.

2. The water pressure on city hookup is not much more than a trickle. I get better pressure on the pump. Dealership hooks it up, and says there is no problem at all.

3. We get hardly any radio stations on the stereo. No matter where we camp, we get about one station, and it is fuzzy. Additionally, the blue tooth doesn't work properly. It connects to my phone for a little while and then starts to make a loud squawking noise and won't work. The dealership claims they were able to get all radio stations on their lot...so there is nothing wrong with it.

I refuse to live with a camper that has consistent issues for the life of it because someone doesn't want to actually do any work. Do any of you have any suggestions? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
costorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Camping since 1987

Thumbs down

I too took delivery of a 2016 26dbh recently with a multitude of issues, The quality of this unit is very poor. They sure know how to make them shiny and pretty but they must not have a quality control dept.
The power converter didn't work from day one.
The screen door handles fell off on day two.
I have been finding missing screws, loose wires and connections everywhere. there are mis-aligned cabinet door handles, warped pantry door, and the bathroom door knob came apart in my hand.
Yesterday the power toungue jack blew six 30 amp fuses to get going and it grinds like it's trying to lift the world.
The brakes need adjusted or something because they are not grabbing proper. All this and I didn't even go camping with it yet.
It will be going back to the dealer in the fall with a large to-do list
BigB 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

I might be able to help you with the door problem..ours did the same thing, hard to open had to slam it shut...but it only did it at the campground....I figured that the stabilizers where too tight on the ground and was bending the frame just enough to put a bind on the door frame, so now I lower the stabilizers just enough to put some pressure on the ground and our door works fine.
Hope this helps.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanks Steelframer, we'll have to give that a try.
costorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

XOXO Sounds like you are torqueing the frame with the stab jacks. Remember they are not leveling jacks they are stabilizing jacks.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

Yep, we were all newbies at one time, some of us had to learn by experience, some learn by asking questions and others learn by help via this forum.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Costorga...PM sent.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

I have a 2015 26dbh Limited. Pretty much same story.

After 1 year of use, 15 different trips, 3000 miles, the thing has been in the shop for warranty work 7 times.

Its actually in the shop as I type this for slide out problems.

I wanted to trade it in for a new *NON*-FORREST RIVER 5th Wheel but of course after spending like $19,000 on this P.O.S. they only want to give me $7000 for a trade in. So this thing might end up being an insurance claim - total loss due to fire
captainvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

I'm sure you are kidding about the fire but even if you weren't you might be surprised at how little the insurance company would want to pay. It won't be anywhere near the 19K but fairly close to the 7K
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

We purchased a 2016 26DBH the end of June. Had to take it back to the dealer the next week to fix a kink in the water line. I just fixed the fridge on my own, it was not cooling when using propane. And one of the ducts for the furnace was loose. Just got back from a 3,600 mile trip from MN up into Alberta, Canada then down to Yellowstone and back home. No issues at all with the trailer.

We've only had a month and a half so it remains to be seen how it holds up. We are going out almost every other week for short 3 night trips through the end of October. Planning to take it to the dealer for winterization, hopefully that's all I'll need to have them do!
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

The latch receiver [slot for the latch to fit into] is adjustable. It may have been misadjusted from slamming the door. Mine has two screws that when loosened, allow the receiver to be adjusted in or out. Give it a look and adjust accordingly.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #12

If there is any one thing I've learned about buying an RV is never sign on the line till you have physically seen water pumped both city and internally pumped and I have crawled under and over every last square inch of the unit.
It is a great incentive for the dealer to get things working right or NO SALE! I will never except a promise to get things fixed after the sale. Not going to ever happen again. Don't be naive, they will not pay as much attention to you AFTER you drive off the lot. You suddenly become a mark on the sales board and nothing more.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

I hate reading about problems with these trailers. I have a 26DBH which was purchased in April. 1trip so far to Solvang, CA no problems. Trip 2 is planned for Labor Day weekend to Pismo. Hope to have no problems. I'm hoping these problems are just in trailers in general. It seems like it anyway. Now that I said this, let's see what happens!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #14

I'll start by saying I bought my 274DBH last August and have had nearly no issues that weren't my fault.

1. The front door does not close properly...

As previously mentioned, probably an issue with the unit being level, or the frame being torqued from the stabilizers being deployed too far.

2. The water pressure on city hookup is not much more than a trickle.

How is the water pressure from the tap? Remember that the plumbing in these units is much smaller than your household plumbing, so you're not going to get a fire hose quality stream of water inside.

3. We get hardly any radio stations on the stereo.

Are you turning the antenna booster on?

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #15

Just picked up my 2016 274dbh last week. Only issue that I found was that the radio did not work. At the dealership they had the music low when I got it home I can't raise it above 10 or it sounds like artillery is coming in with a loud squeal and the outside sound is terrible.

I called Furrion and they were willing to ship a new radio but it would take a while. Dealer is getting camper back to their lot tomorrow to "troubleshoot" the radio.
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle999 View Post
We purchased a 2016 26DBH the end of June. Had to take it back to the dealer the next week to fix a kink in the water line. I just fixed the fridge on my own, it was not cooling when using propane. And one of the ducts for the furnace was loose. Just got back from a 3,600 mile trip from MN up into Alberta, Canada then down to Yellowstone and back home. No issues at all with the trailer.

We've only had a month and a half so it remains to be seen how it holds up. We are going out almost every other week for short 3 night trips through the end of October. Planning to take it to the dealer for winterization, hopefully that's all I'll need to have them do!
What did you do the fix the refrigerator? Ours seems to work fine for a while, and then out of the blue the temp will raise 20 degrees, and it happens mostly when switching to propane. I see no adjustments in/on the unit, so I'm not sure what to do.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #17

Apparently my outside speakers were blown. Dealer says they are fixed....hopefully no more issues
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
What did you do the fix the refrigerator?
I first verified that the gas was flowing ok when I unplugged it (I could hear it). Then verified the flame was good if I lit it manually. What I found was although it seemed like I had a good spark it wasn't actually lighting the gas.

I used a screwdriver to push the rod where the spark originates from further away from the burner. Before the spark was about 1/8 of an inch, now it is about 1/4 and it lights! It was just like adjusting the gap on a spark plug I guess.
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by costorga View Post
Hi all, we got a new 27DBH in April and have had issues with it ever since. It's sitting on the lot at the RV Shop right now after another round of issues being repaired. I explained to them three problems that they are telling me are "just fine".

1. The front door does not close properly, even though the back one is just fine. We have to slam it for it to latch, and I've had it come open when driving down the road. Dealership opens and closes it with no issue on the lot, so they say it's fine.

2. The water pressure on city hookup is not much more than a trickle. I get better pressure on the pump. Dealership hooks it up, and says there is no problem at all.

3. We get hardly any radio stations on the stereo. No matter where we camp, we get about one station, and it is fuzzy. Additionally, the blue tooth doesn't work properly. It connects to my phone for a little while and then starts to make a loud squawking noise and won't work. The dealership claims they were able to get all radio stations on their lot...so there is nothing wrong with it.

I refuse to live with a camper that has consistent issues for the life of it because someone doesn't want to actually do any work. Do any of you have any suggestions? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
My front door does that too. Get a 4' builder's level and level the camper front to back and side to side with it. Like someone else said, the frame is twisting and its throwing the alignment of the door off.
Try turning on the antenna booster for the radio. It works for both the television and radio.
Everybody needs to check the connections on all of your water connections inside the camper. The cold water line on my water heater was loose and leaked out making my lower cabinet face swell due to water absorption. Found the tank fill hose clamp loose too.
I'm on my second go round with the 15K BTU roof air. First one died a few months ago, now the new one seems to be dying.

What everyone has to remember is these campers are made with a whole bunch of different manufactures' products which complicates things when components start going bad. That said, the Cherokee line could be better constructed if the workers took their time to tighten all the screws, put the outer skin on straight, sealed up floor holes, tie wrapped wires and generally took pride in their product.
By the way, hope you bought the extended year warranty from Forest River. It was well worth the price.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #20

Just discovered that my kitchen sink cabinet is peeling near the floor. The finish is almost like a tape on plywood cabinets. Will bring it up to dealer after next weekends final camping trip of '15.