Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

2017 274DBH inverter?

Do these come with an inverter built in them. I've been reading about TV's, and adding batteries. When we did our walk through and when looking before purchase he didn't mention any thing just to plug in 120v plugs. Plus our trailer came with pre installed USB ports to charge phones and tablets. I'm guessing it should include an inverter to run USB ports right?? But some things I've been reading say you need an inverter to run a TV. I'm a first time buyer and first time owner of a travel trailer so I'm not to sure.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #2

It will not come with an inverter. It has a converter in it so that the lights work on both 12V and 120V. I'm not sure if the USB will work on just the 12V, but they should...that's the point of them, they're low voltage.

If you're not plugged into the pedestal, no outlets will work, the Microwave won't work, the AC won't work, and your hot water heater will only run on propane.

You're furnace will run on 12v, the refrigerator will run off of propane, and the 12V outlet above the TV will work, and as I said before, your USB outlets SHOULD work.

If you want to run 120V items on an Inverter, you're going to need to bring along a lot of battery power or just get yourself a generator.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

These new units come with 12 volt powered USB recharge ports, so no 120 Vac necessary. Obviously, 120 Vac outlets and devices will not operate without 120 Vac source, including the 120 V to 12 V (AC to DC) converter charger. You could get a 300W, for example, inverter and run both LED TV and DVD... or get 12 vdc TV... lots of options.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

So for the TV I would need an inverter right. And so does it have to be an expensive swine wave or just any one would work. And so does it need to be wired from the battery into the camper near the tv.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Smile

walmart and others have several fairly high powered INVERTERS that are small and can run off either a 12v Chassis plug(cigarette lighter for us old folks), such as in your vehicle, or can be attached directly to a battery(s) with the provided wire crimps(just like on your standard jumper cables)...

I've seen folks buy a couple of 6v golf cart battery, attach them in series to make them 12v total, and 'build' their own inverter set up for when they travel. You could certainly just keep it in the back of the tow vehicle, and run an extension cord from the inverter into your trailer - then you have 120v power for TVs, dvd, Satellite receivers, device chargers, etc...

https://youtu.be/BhAX02V20Gk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	131230  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

So now I'm a bit confused. Then why do they have outlets if your still goin to need an inverter. Does everything like coffee makers and hair dryers come in 12v. So what happens when I plug in to a generator or plug in to my house, is it just recharging the batteries??
Old 03-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

The only time the 120V outlets will work is if you plug into your house, a pedestal at a campground or a generator....Unless of course, you get a ton of batteries, add an inverter and rewire some things to make all the outlets work.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
So now I'm a bit confused. Then why do they have outlets if your still goin to need an inverter. Does everything like coffee makers and hair dryers come in 12v. So what happens when I plug in to a generator or plug in to my house, is it just recharging the batteries??
Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life" to better understand how the 12v and 120v systems work in RVs.
Though not perfect, it's good reading for newbies.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
So for the TV I would need an inverter right. And so does it have to be an expensive swine wave or just any one would work. And so does it need to be wired from the battery into the camper near the tv.
More comments since I wrote this... your confusion makes me wonder if we need to continue up the "inverter" road. Yes, when off the grid, you will need and Inverter OR a generator to power any 120vac device / appliance. And, a modified sine wave version will work for many things, including TVs.

Outlets are there for when you have shore power. You will need to add an inverter for times when you don't have shore power... OR a generator. A generator sized properly can run anything shore power can. Keep in mind your camper at 30A uses up to 3600W of power.

So, if you are wanting to power a TV and maybe a DVD player you will need around a 300W inverter.

Here's the basic idea. First the inverter is sensitive of voltage drop, so it needs to be close as possible to the batteries, but in a different space... protected from the elements. You have a front storage compartment I think that would work. A fuse or breaker between inverter and battery is necessary. For a 300W, I am guessing (the manual information overrides my guessing) a 40A would be about right. The typical inverter will make more than its rating for a few seconds.

You might have a battery bus on the front of the trailer that could be a good spot for a resettable 40A breaker... picture below. No need to actually run to the battery itself. But, you could... but still protect it with fuse or breaker.

So, continuing... the length of the 120v wire isn't an issue... so run a cord or 12/2# from the inverter plug to the TV location and an actual outlet there would make a nice installation.
WW
Attached Images

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

Nice reading thanks for all the responses, I think you guys got me on track. I'm not so confused anymore. I would appreciate some advice as far as modified or pure sine waves. And I'm planning on buying a generator for the AC in the summer, is a second battery nesasary. And second do all inverters come with the battery cables or do they need a permanent wire connected to the battery.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...he-difference/

I picked PSW so I don't have to be concerned what will or will not work.

Inverters typically require wiring and if its included, it might be too small a gauge. Small ones plug into a cigarette lighter. Larger ones might require #4/0 and less than 5 feet from batteries positive (+). Your's most likely won't be complicated. Keep in mind when you buy an inverter, it should come with an owner's / installation manual. My Magnum came with a lot of information.

A second battery? I would run on the one I have and see how it goes. Lots of variables... where do you camp... does the locations limit generator use... I would have to know more before I would dare a guess at that.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #12

[QUOTE
A second battery? I would run on the one I have and see how it goes. Lots of variables... where do you camp... does the locations limit generator use... I would have to know more before I would dare a guess at that[/QUOTE]
Mostly camping on private property, we have about 200 acres. But we also might go others places. The property has no water or electricity. The contractor generator is definitely it of the question, since if we are using one it's to keep the kids happy so they could go to sleep. Basically a/c if needed and maybe a movie at night. I would really like to use the radio though during the day. Possibly the fridge from now and then, but since we won't be using it during the week not sure if it's worth the hassel either way I'll still have to haul coolers for food since there's no stores with in 40-50 miles of our location. The kids do have tablets but are only used for quite time meaning naps or bed time. Other than that cooking and everything else will be done outside.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
[QUOTE
A second battery? I would run on the one I have and see how it goes. Lots of variables... where do you camp... does the locations limit generator use... I would have to know more before I would dare a guess at that
Mostly camping on private property, we have about 200 acres. But we also might go others places. The property has no water or electricity. The contractor generator is definitely it of the question, since if we are using one it's to keep the kids happy so they could go to sleep. Basically a/c if needed and maybe a movie at night. I would really like to use the radio though during the day. Possibly the fridge from now and then, but since we won't be using it during the week not sure if it's worth the hassel either way I'll still have to haul coolers for food since there's no stores with in 40-50 miles of our location. The kids do have tablets but are only used for quite time meaning naps or bed time. Other than that cooking and everything else will be done outside.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you will be recharging or if you leave it there. Dealing only with power. It sounds like you MIGHT need 2 batteries, but the power you use has to be put back into the battery. Fridge on LP and radio uses little power... so do lights... TV not much either. Recharging tablets isn't bad, but it all adds up. If genset noise is an issue, inverter types are the quietest. One way is with 2 Honda 2000s in parallel (one is the companion) you could run a single AC and when only needing to recharge when the battery is low, run one. A full 12 volt battery reads 12.6 to 12.7 volts, when its at 50%, the lowest you want to run one is down to about 12.0 volts. Its kind of technical but readings are done on a resting battery, which is hard to do in reality. A battery monitor such as Trimetric TM-2030 would be an good asset while boondocking... you would know what's left, when its good to go and when its not... when to run a generator and when not to. A few other brands such as Yamaha are said to be as good as Honda. Now, recharging via converter / charger takes a long time to get it truly full; batteries like to be fully charged... for this reason I think a small solar system could be great; used to top off the battery in SILENCE and charge them during the week, if not in the shade... if you leave it there. Just some thoughts.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #14

Would it be better to just buy a 12v tv rather than an inverter and a tv. Cause I feel for the price of an inverter plus a tv is almost more than if not equal to a 12v tv. Any recommendations.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Would it be better to just buy a 12v tv rather than an inverter and a tv. Cause I feel for the price of an inverter plus a tv is almost more than if not equal to a 12v tv. Any recommendations.
An inverter could run other possible things... things that need 120VAC. A Blu-ray player, for instance. How are you going to charge the tablets... from USB charger? or, does their charger need 120VAC? If USB, you can get 12VDC models that will do that. If all you need is the TV, then buying a 12VDC model might be the answer.

A Bestek 300W inverter can be had for $25 or less. You just need a 12v cigarette light type plug, if you don't already have one near the TV.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-P...=300W+inverter

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
inverter