Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

2018 Fold Under Stair Replacement

So we have a 2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH but I with the folding stairs. I can't help but notice the 2018.5 models come with the heavy duty stairs that fold out and contact the ground....which look WAY more sturdy. Anyone have any luck replacing them fold unders? Wondering how much effort and cost is required to do so.

avigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

I have watched a few videos on Youtube on installing the steps, doesn't look hard at all. Also I don't think they are to expensive.

TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #3

The MORryde steps are less than $300 and only takes 5 or 6 screws to install, the Revolution Glowsteps are around $600 and are very hard to install I understand
Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

After my DH munched our rear steps (those fold-in stairs do not do well going over a boulder..LOL), we purchased and installed Step Above by MORryde (approx. $350) - LOVE IT!! They are so much sturdier than the fold-ins and getting them to adjust to any height is a breeze. It was a very quick install for my hubby - we are still thinking about replacing the front/main door with the stairs, but haven't because it is the door we go in and out of a lot while on the road/at the storage area.

Removing the fold-in steps was really easy too. I would recommend the change!
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I too saw the new MorRyde stairs at last month's local RV show and man they were everywhere. I was already to go for doing the retrofit until I discovered that there's not enough room at my storage to drop them when we are backed in to our slot. Many times we go over there to do something and I can only fold down 3 of my 4 steps or I hit the shed wall. With the solid steps, I would have to pull out to go inside. Bummer! Solid steps sure are nice.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I too saw the new MorRyde stairs at last month's local RV show and man they were everywhere. I was already to go for doing the retrofit until I discovered that there's not enough room at my storage to drop them when we are backed in to our slot. Many times we go over there to do something and I can only fold down 3 of my 4 steps or I hit the shed wall. With the solid steps, I would have to pull out to go inside. Bummer! Solid steps sure are nice.
GlowStep Revolution steps by Torklift solves those problems AND have a solid connection to the ground. You can manage how far from the camper they go and how steep the steps are for tight spaces.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #7

Don't forget when you fold them in, water & dirt, + anything else on them ends up INSIDE. Also at rest stops they may stick out to much.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

I just replaced my fold in steps (I broke them pulling in too close to the curb & they couldn't be welded), with labor it was a painful $800. Only benefit is that the new steps have a light on underneath that cones on automatically.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

Our 2018 Cherokee came with the MoRyde and We like significantly better than the fold downs underneath our 2017 had.
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I just replaced my fold in steps (I broke them pulling in too close to the curb & they couldn't be welded), with labor it was a painful $800. Only benefit is that the new steps have a light on underneath that cones on automatically.
What brand did you have installed? Thanks.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

The biggest thing to be aware of with the MorRyde steps is whether they can actually be installed successfully in your coach. I saw them at an RV show, went to the company's website, followed the instructions to determine if my coach could have the steps installed, had some trouble figuring out an answer definitively and after reaching out to MorRyde and receiving input from them, learned my coach does not have enough clearance at the threshold to allow the steps to be installed and the exterior door to be closed. I am very disappointed but have decided that's a deal breaker on the next coach I purchase. I want the MorRyde steps, or steps like those, and do not want the folding steps anymore for a number of reasons. Good luck! I hope you can install the steps in your coach!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Replacing steps

My 2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS came with the MorRide fold out steps. They are the most solid steps I've ever had and thought it was a good idea, but if I could do it again, I would stay with the standard fold out steps. As stated in other comments, I have to be very careful when storing it in my HOA assigned space and at rest stops. Takes about four and a half feet of clearance to get it to fold out. I have to park far left in my space and have talked my neighbor into parking far right. The first time you forget to check the adjustable legs from your last stop, you run the risk of being too short and the frame will hit the side of your coach. And, when I had it parked in front of the house to load, the sidewalk is about 8" above street level. Even shortening to the max, the individual steps are still on a downhill angle. And finally, don't ever forget to fold the steps in before you hit the jacks for a final leveling or decide to pull forward a few inches. Since they're on the ground, you'll rip them right out of the floor mounts. Since we winter in Arizona, my wife doesn't like the idea of crawly critters or snakes on the steps! I can't readily replace them as there is no cutout in the side panel of the coach. I'm guessing I would have to order a complete side panel.
RVSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #13

My 2017 Heritage glen had the same weak folding steps. I noticed at the camper show this winter the 2018 version now has the moride steps. Camping world had them on sale for $325. Made the local dealer match and they are being installed now.

The only down side I was warned about was trying to load and set things inside the camper while the stairs folded up in the way.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement