Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

2019 Wolf Pup Newbie Questions

My husband and I just purchased our Wolf Pup and are on our first adventure with our two daughters! (Warning: I may be posting a lot of questions!)

1) What is the difference between the hot water tank switch on the control panel and the one on the outside main panel (where the shut off is up front)?

2) We didn’t opt to get the factory fold down bumper rack but would now like to add a bike rack. Does anyone know how much weight the bumper can hold? Does it need reinforcement prior to adding a rack? I’ve seen some horror stories on other forums about people adding racks without reinforcement and we certainly don’t want to bend it or have something break.

Thanks in advance!
EADecker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

The inside switch usually controls the propane side of the WH while the outside switch usually controls the electric side. You need to be connected to shore power to use the electric side. Be sure the WH is full of water before turning either on. Run the gas cook top for a minute or so before trying the WH on propane to purge the lines.

The frame and bumper of most lite TT are not really designed to carry much weight. Many people recommend not adding a bike rack. If you do find one that will keep the weight of the bike and the rack as close to the back of the TT as possible and limit the weight of the setup. The biggest danger is the twisting angular forces on the bumper/frame from a rack that sticks out from the bumper.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

The factory "bumper rack" is actually bolted with a bracket that wraps the frame in front of the bumper. It appears RV bumpers are relatively thin sheet metal poorly welded with minimal reinforcement to the frame rails. There is a reinforcing bracket you can buy that bolts through the frame (plan on drilling) and goes down and hooks under the bumper. Many swear by these. Available on Amazon for a fair price. They are discussed at length in the bicycle carrier threads. Sorry, can't remember the brand name right now. Will edit it in later.

The AC electric water heater switch is the outside one.it used a constant 1245 watts when I measured it with a Kill-A-Watt meter, that's a fraction over 10 amps so be mindful of what else you are trying to power at the same time. I figure I can use the water heater, the AC, and the fridge at one time BUT NOTHING ELSE at the same time.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Thank you so much for your help!!!
EADecker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Mount N Lock Safety Struts $65 plus $8 shipping on Amazon. Those are the bumper reinforcements I was trying to remember. TT rear bumpers are as much for sewer hose storage as much as acting like a bumper. They are pretty thin steel generally welded to the frame just adaquately to hold the bumper in place, not for mounting stuff on the bumper.
Some skilled welders will just add reinforcing plates and bracing to the frame and bumper.
You will also see a lot on the site mounting an actual hitch receiver to the frame under the bumper to use hitch mounted accessories or even tow a boat trailer behind the TT. Unheard of in PA but common in western states.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #6

We carried our bikes on the bumper rack. The bumper rack says it can hold 250#. If you have a welder make something you can u-bolt to the same spot the factory bumper rack attaches. A cross bar of some sort that can accept a receiver hitch. Then you can use that to add a bike rack. I'd verify that the factory doesn't add reinforcements for the bumper rack before you go this route.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, wolf pup