Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

274dbh Cherokee limited 2010 Silverado 1500

Getting ready to buy my first rv. Just wanting a few honest opinions about this model. I also am wondering how well my Silverado 1500, 2010 model with max towing pack will handle it. Additionally, how well does the factory trailer brake control work on these trucks? Thanks for any input.
ctsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team

the factory trailer brake control works great on mine. I would think you will be fine towing. Just get a good wdh with built in sway control.

And welcome to the forum!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #3

Ok thanks for the advice. I'm a newbie and everything helps. I optioned in the wdh and sway with the purchase. I had seen mixed reviews in regards to the factory brake controller.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Team

What kind of wdh did you get?
This forum is full of good folks and info

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Not sure the dealer said it was included. I am scheduled to pick it up next weekend. Any suggestions on a particular brand, setup?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Integrated brake controller works great on mine!
Towing 14,000 lbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsam View Post
Not sure the dealer said it was included. I am scheduled to pick it up next weekend. Any suggestions on a particular brand, setup?
Didn't wait long for opinions....

Seriously, though- welcome to the forums!
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Integrated brake controller works great on mine!
Towing 14,000 lbs
awesome, I had heard bad reviews on the 07-08 models being too sensitive and problematic. What year is your truck if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.......unless you got the big $$$$ for a Hensley or ProPride.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.......unless you got the big $$$$ for a Hensley or ProPride.
Awesome I called the dealer and he said it was the equalizer. Thanks again
Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

I can't speak to the truck, but I can tell you we bought the 274dbh last year and absolutely LOVE it!!

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #12

If your dealer is saying a hitch is included, you probably have waiting for you the cheapest WDH out there. Most likely a chain type with round bars. If you haven't already signed on the dotted line, I suggest you wait for info from forum members as it's pretty easy to get taken when buying an RV. For example, did you work with a national seller like RVWholesalers before going with the local guy- I've saved several thousand dollars every time going with them and had great service to boot. Have you questioned them about any additional fees- dealers often tack on fees for things such as Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI). Have you searched for info on your dealer- RV dealers are nothing like car dealers and a dealer that offers poor service can really cause problems down the road. Not trying to rain on your parade, just wanting you to be completely informed.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Yet another thing to watch out for. A LOT of people refer to any type of weight distributing hitch (WDH) as an "equalizer hitch"- probably because they think of it as "equalizing" the weight on the front and rear axles. Equalizer is actually a brand name. I would ask what brand the hitch is. Since you said you optioned in the "WDH and sway" I'd be willing to bet you are NOT getting a true Equalizer hitch as there is no separate "sway" with that hitch- the sway control function is built in.

Here is the Equalizer:

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Here is what I am thinking they will try to give you:

Item
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
IMO you want the 4 point , not the 2 point Equal-i-zer

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
IMO you want the 4 point , not the 2 point Equal-i-zer
I am thinking the 2 point is actually by Fastway- called the E2. And I concur- the 4 point is definitely the way to go.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I am thinking the 2 point is actually by Fastway- called the E2. And I concur- the 4 point is definitely the way to go.
Think your right, but they both are by Progress Mfg. Inc.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If your dealer is saying a hitch is included, you probably have waiting for you the cheapest WDH out there. Most likely a chain type with round bars. If you haven't already signed on the dotted line, I suggest you wait for info from forum members as it's pretty easy to get taken when buying an RV. For example, did you work with a national seller like RVWholesalers before going with the local guy- I've saved several thousand dollars every time going with them and had great service to boot. Have you questioned them about any additional fees- dealers often tack on fees for things such as Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI). Have you searched for info on your dealer- RV dealers are nothing like car dealers and a dealer that offers poor service can really cause problems down the road. Not trying to rain on your parade, just wanting you to be completely informed.
Man I love this forum. Great information and posts. I actually am paying for the hitch myself it's equalizer 4 point. The dealer is a regional wholesaler and the only fee I have is a 56 document fee and taxes with free pdi. I wasn't fuly aware of the down the road issues but will research heavily before the final dotted line is signed in about ten days. Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Thumbs up

Quote:
Man I love this forum. Great information and posts. I actually am paying for the hitch myself it's equalizer 4 point. The dealer is a regional wholesaler and the only fee I have is a 56 document fee and taxes with free pdi. I wasn't fuly aware of the down the road issues but will research heavily before the final dotted line is signed in about ten days. Thanks
And ya know what we say around here...
No pics didnt happen

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
I can't speak to the truck, but I can tell you we bought the 274dbh last year and absolutely LOVE it!!
That's great I am squeamish about the whole thing and all comments like this are easing my mind.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #20

We absolutely love our Cherokee 274dbh! We have spent many days camping and have towed it over 2000 miles on it last season. It tows very nice and the teconsha p3 brake controller we have is the best IMO. We use a standard equalizer WDH with 2 anti sway bars and it works great for me....
So welcome to the forum, and if you have any Qs about your 274 shoot me a pm, I know this TT like the back of my hand.
FYI. We bought the progressive industries EMS HW 30c and has saved our TT several times from electrical problems.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, cherokee