Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

29BH Grey wolf

Has anyone upgraded their tires to a 15" size? My camper drags and trying to find ways to raise it a little to prevent that. Didn't know if replacing the 14" tires for 15" would be beneficial
txpedsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

Switching to 15" tires will gain you approximately 1/2" of clearance. If you want more, you're probably going to have to flip the axles, which will gain you more like 6", but you'll have a large first step in/out of the unit.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

If I replace the drag bars is it easier to get them from Forest river or have a welder make new ones?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Probably just easier to have somebody local do it. You'll probably save the money in gas, not to mention time at the dealer. They're nothing special. One option I've seen on the forums from people that have this problem (and being you're going to replace the drag bars anyways) would be to add caster wheels to the drag bars so that it rolls instead of drags. You would probably need to put more beefy drag bars on than the stock ones though.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

had to flip our 2014 grey wolf 29vt axles almost as soon as we bought the unit due to living in western nc and dragging basically everywhere except perfectly flat sites- not common up here in the mountains! local shop did the job for around $700 if i remember correctly(might have been less). we gained about 6-7in height prior to flip. no difference in towing, had to adjust ball on truck to keep rig level. slightly higher step down but no big deal with our adjustable platform step. overall best mod to keep from scraping everywhere. Also, replace the crappy oem tires with better aftermarket radials- i had some weird wear issue where the inside of the tires on ALL 4 sides were worn to the plys while the middle and outside looked perfect. Luckily I caught it before a long trip and got some radials, have pulled the radials about 1k (approx same mileage as orig tires worn down to plys) and have seen no similar wear issues. Cheers
smithhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Actually, we got an great deal to upgrade to a Cherokee Limited 304BH, so we did. The Cherokees sit up higher, and ride on 15" tires so no more dragging issues. Now my main issue is I have to take it back and get a satellite TV outlet and cable installed for our main TV so that we can use our portable satellite dish. Dealer wants $150, but we have 2 local shops close by. Just need to make sure it does not interfere with my warranty.

Tags
grey wolf