Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #1

5th wheel stabilization

how to take the rocking out of my 5th wheel? I'm solid front to back but still have movement side to side. I do not want to spend 500$ on a system like steady fast or if tripods even work so any tips would be great.
Thanks as always!!
JabbaLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

Although it doesn't both me my wife does find that annoying, especially very early in the morning when she is trying to sleep.
I did two things this year that seemed to help quite a bit. I built some wood blocks out of 2 x 8's. I stack them two high under the front legs and one high on the back. I also purchased some X-chocks. Although they also added some improvement it was not as great as the blocks.
I was planning to have Strongarms installed but I thought I would try this first since I already had the wood.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #3

The tripod under the king pin makes a lot of difference. Best bang for the buck. Got mine off Amazon for $89.00 shipped
trackmanbfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

JT Strongarms really stiffen up the RV along with X chocks. They cost about $250 + install, and is something that you can do yourself. If you want it even stiffer put a couple of jack stands next to the axels.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

X2 What Ed said - JT's + XChocks are the BEST short of a hydraulic leveling system.

We are not a huge fan of the tripod, although it does work - Just another extra thing to hook up in the setup process.

If you are going to Goshen this year, Lippert usually has the JT Strongarms on a rally special - and, they were installing them last year - definitely worth going to Goshen for that deal
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

This our first year as seasonal campers so only setting up one and done that said I'm ok with more permanent fix
Old 05-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaLB View Post
This our first year as seasonal campers so only setting up one and done that said I'm ok with more permanent fix
The only thing that I know of that will stop the side to side is to install two Jacks in front of the axles. The bounce and movement come from the tires. X chocks will stop the back and forth motion but not side to side. If you want a solid trailer, IMO I suggest 1) JTstrongarms and 2) Stabilizing jacks at the front axle scissor type

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
Site Team

I use cinder blocks stacked with wood shims under my frame. Then when the trailer settles, you can adjust the shims as needed.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaLB View Post
As long as you're not moving frequently, use heavy wood blocking or cinder blocks and shims. I used screw jacks under the frame at 6 locations when staying in Florida for 3-5 months. IMO, if trailer weight is supported by rubber (tires) some motion is almost guaranteed.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel