Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Adding an extra battery

We have a 2019 Cherokee 274VFK. The battery sits in a box on the right side and the cover has a flexible vent hose attached to vent it to the outside. This is a small compartment and I don't think there is room for another battery in there. Has anyone added and extra battery to a "V" nose trailer like this one? With the V front there is not enough room to mount a rack on the tongue.

Thanks,
Willie

Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 PM   #2

We also have a the same trailer. You'd need to be able to secure both batteries and then have them covered and hooked to the vent hose so that any hydrogen gas can't build up inside the compartment.

whjco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Hi there,

My wife and I just ordered a 2020 274vfk and dry camp almost Everytime. Have you found a way to add a second battery? I haven't been able to see that compartment up close so I was thinking a small vent in the door.

Thanks in advance for your help.
SpyderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

I haven't found a way to add an extra battery. The battery compartment is very small and there is a vented battery box in that compartment. Please let me know if you find a way.

Thanks,
Willie
Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what is your tow vehicle? Weight distribution hitch and any suggestions on towing?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

We have a 2016 Silverado 2500HD 4WD, 6.0 gas. Our dealer installed a Blue Ox hitch. Due to the DW having some surgery and other things, we have only pulled it about 1200 miles on three trips. So far it's all been good.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

With the Cherokee 274VFK you are very near the upper limit for a half ton as it comes off the assembly line. The listed UVW numbers are below what it will weigh when you take delivery.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Hey Old Willie,

Just picked up our 274vfk Saturday. I haven't built it yet but to add the second battery I am going to add it to the A frame below and run the wires up into the batter compartment. It isn't the ideal place but I think that is all of the attention I am going to give it. I will let you know how that works or if I find a different way.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMonkey View Post
Hey Old Willie,

Just picked up our 274vfk Saturday. I haven't built it yet but to add the second battery I am going to add it to the A frame below and run the wires up into the batter compartment. It isn't the ideal place but I think that is all of the attention I am going to give it. I will let you know how that works or if I find a different way.
I've been thinking along the same lines. Just haven't came up with a good plan. Please let us know how it goes and some pictures would be great.
Willie
Old 08-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

After a little research I might go with this... https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Box...t/TLA7727.html

Didn't do any measurements to make sure it fits but I work at a metal shop that could make it fit. If I need to fabricate one it might be a winter project.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
We have a 2019 Cherokee 274VFK. The battery sits in a box on the right side and the cover has a flexible vent hose attached to vent it to the outside. This is a small compartment and I don't think there is room for another battery in there. Has anyone added and extra battery to a "V" nose trailer like this one? With the V front there is not enough room to mount a rack on the tongue.

Thanks,

Willie

I have the 234VFK and with a little work was able to install two batteries and have both attached to the vent hose by adding a tee in the line. I made my vented battery covers from neoprene and strapped both batteries down.
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

2nd battery

After researching and debating internally I have decided to buy two AGM batteries and lock them in that compartment. No vents needed.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #13

That just be the best solution. Have you decided where you will buy your batteries? Are you going with two 6 volt?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #14

Quote:
That just be the best solution. Have you decided where you will buy your batteries? Are you going with two 6 volt?

For right now I am going with two group 31 AGM from Sam's Club. They are about $180 each and have good reviews. I never really looked at 6volt because if 1 dies you are stuck running out for another. At least with 2 12v you can disconnect the dead one and still have something.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #15

Thanks for the information. Do AGM batteries require a different charger? Is the stock converter going to be enough to recharge two batteries?

Thanks,
Willie
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Do AGM batteries require a different charger? Is the stock converter going to be enough to recharge two batteries?

Thanks,
Willie
Those are good questions. I cannot speak for the Cherokee unit but I had a Jayco with 2 AGM Batteries and no issues charging. I feel like they might have charged faster. I also always use the same charger/maintainer from harbor freight that I have had for years and used on both AGM and wet cell batteries.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
Retired Old Fart

Quote:

Thanks,
Willie
I know the Progressive converter units are compatible with AGM batteries. I do not know about the WFCO and other stock units. AGM batteries are more sensitive to over voltage charging than wet cells are. I think most high quality chargers will work with AGM's just fine, but check for the brand/model you have.

As to recharge time, it's a matter of how much power (amps) was drawn out no matter how many batteries you have. Take more out, and it will take more time to put it back in. Recharge time also depends on what converter/charger you have (how many amps it puts out). A 55 amp WFCO will charge faster than a 30 amp WFCO with all other things being equal. Think of two water hoses. A 1/4" hose can only push water so fast, and a 3/4" can push a lot more in the same amount of time at the same source pressure. It's sort of the same concept with the 3/4" hose representing a higher charging rate converter/charger.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:

Thanks,
Willie
Big thing about AGM batteries is that they do not like equalization charging. That said, in talking to Progressive Dynamics they've contacted the major manufacturers of AGM batteries and the equalization voltage PD uses is low enough and limited to such a short time, it doesn't damage AGM's.

Only batteries that need a different charger are Lithium although the main issue there is that WFCO and PD chargers (as well as other regular units) won't fully charge LiFePo batteries. they peak at 13.8 volts or so and a full charge on a LiFePo battery needs around 14.6 volts. I've heard that the max SOC you'll get with regular Converter/Chargers in a LiFePo battery is around 85%. If one does have a PD converter with the Charge Wizard, pushing the button on the Pendant will force the charger into Bulk Mode which will then peak at 14.6 volts. You just have to do it manually.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery