Old 04-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

Adding anInverter/charger to 2017 Wolf Pup 16BHS

Adding Inverter/charger to 2017 Wolf Pup 16BHS
Actually I want to be able to power all of my 120v ac appliances(microwave, tv, except for the air conditioner and the electric hot water heater) This is what I am pursuing:

Remove battery wiring from 12 volt dc connections of existing converter/charger in electrical panel and leave disconnected permanently. Connect new battery in parallel with existing battery and wire to the new inverter/charger with 300 amp fuse and disconnect switch.
Remove 120v ac wiring from existing trailer 30 amp plug connection on side of trailer and connect it to 120v ac output of new inverter/charger. This is the new 120v ac feed to the panel. Wire the 120v ac input of new inverter/charger to the existing 120v 30amp plug on the trailer. This will be how the 120v ac 30 amp shore power gets to the inverter. The inverter has an auto transfer switch built in for a 30 amp service. This will allow all of my electrical loads to be feed from shore power or battery power automatically with priority from shore power.

DISCLAIMER....I do not recommend this change to your trailer nor will I be responsible for results of any actions someone takes from this.

bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

not sure if you can put enough batteries on the A-frame, to be able to power a microwave.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Two good batteries should do it. Make sure the inverter/charge you install has a transfer switch rated at 30 amps.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

I made a deal when I purchased the pup to have the 24 series battery changed to a 27 series at no cost and purchased an additional 27 series at the same time. That gave me about 25 extra amphrs over two 24's...as far as inverter/charger, I had to get a AIMS 2000 watt pure sine wave which has an internal 30 amp automatic bypass...can handle 6000 watt surge. just have to upsize all wires to/from battery. The combination of the 2 27 series is about 190 amphrs....I am only looking to power large appliances for short time in morning and night without having to start 2000 watt generator. I like the idea when off grid that I can use tv and any outlet without generator.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Two good batteries should do it. Make sure the inverter/charge you install has a transfer switch rated at 30 amps.
don't think two batteries will run a microwave very long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

battery sizing for 1350 watt microwave

This is the way I calculated and sized it. My microwave draw about 1350 watts( but lets say 1200 watts to make it easy to demonstrate). 1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. Typical deep cells are designed for capacity rating draw over 20 hrs. So a 100 AH battery should be drawn from at about 5amps over the 20 hr period(100 AH/20H). If you draw at a higher rate the capacity gets derated. Lets assume I wanted to run the microwave for 1 hr (not going to happen). I would be drawing 100 amps for 1 hr from 2 batteries (or 50 amps each). At 50 amp draw per battery for 1 hr, a 100 AH battery will only have 50 amp capacity(derated value). So after 1 hr I would have used all 100AH (50 AH + 50 AH) of the REDUCED TWO battery capacity. If it runs for 6 minutes that is about 10 AH (1200 watts/12 volts) x (6min/60 min/hr). So I would have only used 10AH out of the derated 100AH total for both batteries. And since I am drawing 50 amp per battery for only 6 minutes not 1 hr, the capacity is actually significantly more than the derated total of 100 AH. Can anyone see anything wrong here?
Please comment...I want to make sure I did not miss anything.
Thanks
John
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I installed a Xantrex PROsine 3000w Inverter with 100a charger and automatic transfer switch built in, as a "whole house" inverter system. I went with 2 6v batteries and have found it to be plenty of capacity for our needs.

A few notes for you...
As you appear to be aware, 2 group 27 batteries will not get you very long runtimes when using heavy loads like the microwave. It can be used briefly though (we occasionally use it while "on the road").

When boondocking, be sure to turn off the electric element in your water heater and switch your fridge to Gas only. Also, be aware of all your various phone/laptop chargers etc. that are plugged into outlets throughout the trailer.

I chose to utilize the trailers factory high voltage wiring from the shore power connection to the factory converter. I removed the connections from the converters input and output, and extended them to reach the inverter/charger. I left the converter in place so that I can easily convert back if the inverter/charger fails during a trip or when selling the RV.

Rather than a fuse and switch as you mentioned, I went with a circuit breaker that is rated to be used as a switch (not all are). Look at Blue Sea Systems breakers if this interests you. I sized the breaker at 150a which is far less than the size needed for the inverters max capability, but is plenty to use the inverter to power the microwave or a vacuum cleaner.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

thanks GreenImp... we are on the same page. I actually purchased the circuit breaker also. As far as the batteries...I am stuck with the 27 series because dealer did not have any true deep cells. . As I understand it, the 27 series batteries are actually marine type not true heavy duty deep cycle batteries so that is why I will limit my use for powering large 120v loads. Otherwise it looks like we are similar and should have no problems. What did you set your maximum charge rate for on the inverter charger? what is your battery capacity?
thanks
John
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
It's been a couple/few years since I set the system up, and I haven't yet had the need to mess with it since. IIRC, the system adjusts the settings to whatever battery bank and AC input (breaker size) you tell it you have. I'm not sure if I have the ability to set a max charge current specifically (without fibbing about what batteries I have).

I believe the battery capacity is 205ah...they are Kirkland GC-2's from Costco.

We don't boondock very often. The main reason we have an inverter is to run a CPAP at night and sometimes an evening movie when we do boondock. The only reason I have such a large "fancy" inverter is just pure luck/timing...I got a fantastic deal on it when I was planning for the CPAP use. I paid about the same price that I would have paid for a small portable inverter. The ability to occasionally use the microwave and vacuum are just extra perks.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wolf pup