Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jd-ford-hd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug View Post
So the airbags help with the chuckling? If so what brand of airbag do you reccomend? I'm on the verg of buying some. jdadoug
Of all the benefits that air bags might offer, stopping the humping would probably not be one of them. Humping develops at the towed, not the towing vehicle. Air ride on your trailer would reduce humping to a minimum.
__________________

__________________
"IF IT AINT GOT A MOTOR, I AINT INTERESTED"
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
recon33alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mooresville, Indiana
Posts: 187
I bought the Firestone brand, about 60 bucks more then the Airlift brand, both had great reviews though. They are on the way, can't wait to feel the difference. I didn't get onboard compressor, didn't want to pony up the extra money, plus my mechanical skills are minimal. I'll just air them up and keep track of different PSI's under each situation, loaded with quads or empty.

When you take your trucks in for service, do you let out all air when your TV is being lifted at the frame???
__________________

__________________
2010 GMC SIERRA
2012 GREY WOLF 25RR
2012 campouts: 42
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
I have a Ram 1500 w/coil rear springs. Fixing to put air bags in. Where did you purchase?
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Of all the benefits that air bags might offer, stopping the humping would probably not be one of them. Humping develops at the towed, not the towing vehicle. Air ride on your trailer would reduce humping to a minimum.
Beg to differ, the air bags do stop the humping effect on the truck and adding shocks on the trailer will eliminate it. I have both and no humping/dolphing or porpoising.

Run an experiment, hook up and do not put air in the bags and tow it on a stretch of highway and then pump the bags up and drive the same road and feel the difference.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Beg to differ, the air bags do stop the humping effect on the truck and adding shocks on the trailer will eliminate it. I have both and no humping/dolphing or porpoising.

Run an experiment, hook up and do not put air in the bags and tow it on a stretch of highway and then pump the bags up and drive the same road and feel the difference.
I'm with Dunnnc.
My humping, bumping, porpoising , whatever you want to call it was virtually eliminated with air bags.
It went from uncomfortable to wow!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
recon33alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mooresville, Indiana
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I have a Ram 1500 w/coil rear springs. Fixing to put air bags in. Where did you purchase?
Sorry BigT, been camping the last 7 days, I got them online at www.streetsideauto.com. They have an ad on here. Instructions said 1 hr or less to install, it took me 3 hr's.
__________________
2010 GMC SIERRA
2012 GREY WOLF 25RR
2012 campouts: 42
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
... Instructions said 1 hr or less to install, it took me 3 hr's.
That's cause you're north of the Mason-Dixon.

Just joking, don't want to start the Civil War again. I've never been able to do anything in the time the instructions say either.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
mike06081969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
I bought the Firestone brand, about 60 bucks more then the Airlift brand, both had great reviews though. They are on the way, can't wait to feel the difference. I didn't get onboard compressor, didn't want to pony up the extra money, plus my mechanical skills are minimal. I'll just air them up and keep track of different PSI's under each situation, loaded with quads or empty.

When you take your trucks in for service, do you let out all air when your TV is being lifted at the frame???
I have the Firestone Ride-Rites with on-board compressor and console mounted switch and pressure gauge in my F250. I pull a 40' fifth wheel and the bags make all the difference. While it didn't completely stop the "chocking", it minimized it greatly. The best thing, though, is that the truck rides level now, making it much better to drive at interstate speeds. I inflate the bags to 60-65 psi when towing and keep about 10 psi in them unloaded.
__________________
Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Namchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I have a Ram 1500 w/coil rear springs. Fixing to put air bags in. Where did you purchase?
I got mine at Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs They are having a sale enter code JULY20 in the discount and get another $20 off got mine for $269.51 with free shipping and this is for Firestone airbag kit.
__________________
Time spent 2012 in TT 32 days so far and 21 Planned days this Fall with mini trips in between
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
2012 XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
recon33alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mooresville, Indiana
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namchief View Post
I got mine at Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs They are having a sale enter code JULY20 in the discount and get another $20 off got mine for $269.51 with free shipping and this is for Firestone airbag kit.
Namchief: since you have a TT like me, after the air shock install, did you have to adjust your WDH or did you just put minimum PSI's to help lift your TV alittle. I only need alittle lift, and really don't want to re-adjust my WDH! The problem I have is that I haul my Son's atv in the bed of my truck (need some tie downs in the hauler to haul both quads in the hauler) and my atv in the toyhauler. I haven't hooked up yet and experiemented, but without the Toy's, I think I will only need 10 psi's or less to just lift the truck a bit. I got them more to help the rear suspension and to lessen the fatigue(1/2 ton), hope this makes since, anyone else can chime in as well!!

If you didn't adjust the WDH, could you tell more strain on the bars, when backing or making tight turns with the air bags inflated??
__________________

__________________
2010 GMC SIERRA
2012 GREY WOLF 25RR
2012 campouts: 42
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.