Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #21

[QUOTE=dunnnc;223517]That's cause you're north of the Mason-Dixon.

Just joking, don't want to start the Civil War again.

And we all know who won that one!!!! hahahahahaha

No worries Dunnnc, its all in good fun!!
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #22

Never Apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
Sorry BigT, been camping the last 7 days, I got them online at www.streetsideauto.com. They have an ad on here. Instructions said 1 hr or less to install, it took me 3 hr's.
You never have to apologize for camping! That is what it's all about. Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering this week.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #23

I can not comment on any characteristics of anything yet as I have just ordered mine. I didnt get the air bags to help with the sagging of the TT but to help while towing a boat or snowmobiles. And if it helps with porpoising all the better. I plan on using 10lbs the minimum while using the WDH until I find the sweet spot for porpoising, or should I say not porpoising.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namchief
I can not comment on any characteristics of anything yet as I have just ordered mine. I didnt get the air bags to help with the sagging of the TT but to help while towing a boat or snowmobiles. And if it helps with porpoising all the better. I plan on using 10lbs the minimum while using the WDH until I find the sweet spot for porpoising, or should I say not porpoising.
I wouldn't start at the 10lb minimum imo as to not bottom out the bags.
My units both say 20 lb minimum but that's just what I have.

Good luck on the install.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #25

Did our first trip with the air ride, when we left I had 7lb's in the shocks, and dropped a link in the wdh, big mistake, trailer swayed and ride was way to soft, I fought the set-up all the way to the campground. For the return trip, I put 10lb's in the shocks, and went back to 4 links in the wdh hanging, MUCH BETTER, felt like truck and camper were as one. Good ride, very smooth, think I have it figured out, and am alot more comfortable now, even ran 75 mph for a bit with no problems. 14 mpg, checked when I filled up the tank.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I use to get "HUMPED"---------

I used to get humped, but amazing what a little "AIR" will do
Of course I used the Firestone Air Springs.

You people "UP NORTH" start that "WARH" again, see what happens? DUNNNC, will be on our side, the "OLD COOT" is amazing in battle!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Did our first trip with the air ride, when we left I had 7lb's in the shocks, and dropped a link in the wdh, big mistake, trailer swayed and ride was way to soft, I fought the set-up all the way to the campground. For the return trip, I put 10lb's in the shocks, and went back to 4 links in the wdh hanging, MUCH BETTER, felt like truck and camper were as one. Good ride, very smooth, think I have it figured out, and am alot more comfortable now, even ran 75 mph for a bit with no problems. 14 mpg, checked when I filled up the tank.
Just my opinion, but it would probably be even better with about 30#-40#. 10# is pretty low, my Air Rides will kick the compressor on @ 10#.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Just my opinion, but it would probably be even better with about 30#-40#. 10# is pretty low, my Air Rides will kick the compressor on @ 10#.
I must maintain 5 lb's as a minimum, I'll try more air to see if I can fine tune even more!! Thanks

And we don't need to be fighting each other, we better come together and get this Country back in order!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Supposedly on fifth wheels only.
Nah we get it with our bumper tow as well.
If I was on the water in a boat I'd get sea sick.

Depending on the roads its bearable. I just started to install a Firestone Rite ride system but who ever it was that packed my shipment put in 2 right side lower brackets so I have one side on and I'm waiting now a week for the lower left bracket to arrive.

Does anyone know how to adjust the air bag set up once installed. do I attach the trailer loaded and thne add air to level the rig or is this something that is done before trailer is hitched?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #30

I have the Timbren suspension kit. Lifetime warranty, 30 min. to install, LOVE them.(no darn air lines) Have a 1500 Silverado, 31ft. Rockwood fifth wheel, truck drops half an inch and thats all.
Mike St-Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Nah we get it with our bumper tow as well.
If I was on the water in a boat I'd get sea sick.

Depending on the roads its bearable. I just started to install a Firestone Rite ride system but who ever it was that packed my shipment put in 2 right side lower brackets so I have one side on and I'm waiting now a week for the lower left bracket to arrive.

Does anyone know how to adjust the air bag set up once installed. do I attach the trailer loaded and thne add air to level the rig or is this something that is done before trailer is hitched?
After installation, I just tried trial and error, ended up using 20lbs on each side, provided best ride with my TT.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Beg to differ, the air bags do stop the humping effect on the truck and adding shocks on the trailer will eliminate it. I have both and no humping/dolphing or porpoising.

Run an experiment, hook up and do not put air in the bags and tow it on a stretch of highway and then pump the bags up and drive the same road and feel the difference.
jd-ford was talking about 'chucking', which he calls "humping".
nothing you do to the TV will eliminate chucking, as it does originate with the camper, as he stated.
Porpoising is almost exclusively due to an over-loaded TV, and can be helped somewhat by adding air bags. Of course, the TV is probably still over-loaded, but you will at least have a false sense of security.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
From my experience, there is a BIG difference between air shocks and air bags. Have had both and the air bags are the best!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
From my experience, there is a BIG difference between air shocks and air bags. Have had both and the air bags are the best!
Totally agree. Air shocks were great back in the 70's for jacking up our muscle cars, but they simply do not have the load-carrying capacity of air bags. And putting too much weight on the shock mounts simply means they will rip off sooner!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Totally agree. Air shocks were great back in the 70's for jacking up our muscle cars, but they simply do not have the load-carrying capacity of air bags. And putting too much weight on the shock mounts simply means they will rip off sooner!
Used Gabriel HiJackers on my 72 El Camino and hauled a 1300# slide in pop up camper over 40,000 miles and never had a problem with the shock brackets. After about 2 yrs of carrying the camper full time, I found out that the old Chevy 1/2t truck rear coil springs would slip right in. Unhook the shocks, drop the rear end down, reach in and pull the stock springs and set the ½ t truck springs in and buckle the shocks back up. Sold the whole rig to a fellow and he drove it over 50,000 miles and never had a problem. That little Camino went coast to coast at least twice that I drove it. In 1983 we decided we wanted another camper so I built a similar slide in to the 72 for our 81 El Camino. Complete with air cyl. To lift the all aluminum top. When we moved to NC in 2000 we sold it with 120,000 miles on it and it is still being used. Just used the HiJackers on it with around 90# - 100# in them.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Additional pics:http://community.webshots.com/user/dunnnc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 Camino - Branson, MO.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	18176   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 El Camino with camper as bought.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	18177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start of camper 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	18178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start of camper 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	18179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway camping - Bella Vista, AR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18180  

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #36

Quote:
my 72 El Camino and hauled a 1300# slide in pop up camper over 40,000 miles
I bet the weight police would have had a FIELD DAY with that one. Love the slide in.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
I bet the weight police would have had a FIELD DAY with that one. Love the slide in.
Yeah they would, that's why I don't pay much attention to them!

Everybody has to have a 3/4t diesel to pull a popup.