Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Almost convinced to purchase...

My wife has got the itch to buy a camper after seeing a bunch of friends campers over Memorial Day. We've looked at several of them and have narrowed it down to a 2013 Grey Wolf 25RL. Being that I nor anyone in my immediate family has owned a camper I found this website and thought I'd ask for some help.

Here is a link for the model.
New 2013 Forest River RV Cherokee Grey Wolf 25RL Travel Trailers at AC Nelsen RV Omaha Nebraska AC Nelsen RV

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Ext Cab so I don't think pulling it will be an issue.

What types of questions should I be asking before we buy? It's got the power package on it for the hitch and stabilizers which look nice but what about the main things some of you have encountered? I've read about getting the radio changed out if it doesn't have the Jensen model but other then that I'm lost.

When towing do I need to get an equalizer hitch and a tow brake installed on my truck? It has the button on the shifter for towing but I'm not too mechanically inclined so if it runs and goes forward and reverse I'm good.

Anyways, I thought I'd start here and see what everyone said. It's just me and her and the dog so sleeping a lot of people isn't a big thing right now. Eventually we'll have more in the family but I'm hoping that's not for a couple more years.

Thanks in advance
Hamman0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamman0512 View Post
When towing do I need to get an equalizer hitch and a tow brake installed on my truck?

equalizer hitch -- good idea

controls installed in truck for trailer brakes -- a must

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

Tow brakes absolutely and whatever you buy get a really good walk through it will save you loads of questions later(take notes if you must, wish I had but dealer has been really good with questions). And yes you will want and equalizer hitch with sway control. You should be good with your tow vehicle we tow our Flagstaff 30WFKSS with a 2006 Chevy Silverado crew cab short box 6.0 vortec max engine with no problems.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #4

something to think about

if
a person takes their time
and looks around at used units
one can usually find one two or three years old
for just over half the price of a new unit

many of them have been used less than 10 times

when we bought ours - 2 1/2 years old
it had been used prox 5 times

((((( looked just like new )))))
cost new around 18
we paid 10

Mountainman
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

Mountainman, we've looked at both new and used. The problem with the used ones in this area is they are either picked over and don't meet our needs or have been thrown out due to the interior color and/or smell.

Of the ones we did like that were use they were only 1-2k price difference with new
Hamman0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

I would get the extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamman0512 View Post

The problem

Of the ones we did like that were use they were only 1-2k price difference with new

not sure where you are at
but
that just don't sound right
at least for so ca and most areas these days
my neighbor sold two nice used units a few years old
for far less than 1/2 of the new price
but
as you say
if to only save a couple of thousand dollars
I also would buy new
hey
if we can afford it
and plan on using it
I'am sure that you and your family
will have many many many good times

the wife and I love useing ours
desert 60 miles away (our favorite place)
beach time this summer

the warranty that comes with a new unit
is also a nice thing to have
I would get the extended warranty
after reading around here for a while now
may be well worth the extra bucks

wishing for you the best deal
Mountainman
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

We have tent camped for 13+ years and used a friends camper once. We looked at three dealerships in NE and bought on our second weekend of shopping, from AC Nelson. We bought a 28bh patriot, and have loved it! since purchasing last July, we have spent over 50 nights in ours with very little complaints. So easy to get away with all the necessities already in the camper. Just grab some food and clothes and GO.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Missing Link

What we've learned is to set a budget and to buy the one you both like the first time. If it's used fine if new that's also fine but my wife and I along with others we know have settled for something else in the past and have always end up selling a year or two down the road to buy the one we should of gotten in the first place.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #9

The Grey Wolf line are great entry level units. We got ours for a great price and so far it has been great. Don't skimp on the options. The GW line doesn't have many, but make sure to get the Power Pack at a minimum for the DSI water heater and power awning. The remote power stabilizers are nice as well. With all the power options, I have our unit unhitched and set up in less than 15 min. The LPI remote controls the awning, stabilizers, slide and bug light.

Also, I would request they check the FW tank for the vent line. Many GW trailers have been shipped w/out that and it is important to have. The Touch Audio multimedia unit will probably end up needing to be replaced so ask if they will do it before delivery. We got ours done like that.

If you get one, hope you enjoy it!
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote