Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdj1990 View Post
Extreme Weather Artic Package: that's what the sticker on the side of the trailer says.

I called FR customer support for the Cherokee and they told my this package has upgraded fidge foam in the walls and ceiling. They said the floor has a combination of materials in the floor for insulation. I asked "What about the underbelly" and they said that has nothing. I said my water line froze at 19 degrees. They said we don't recommend below freezing temps. It only a three season camper. I said then why are you calling it Extreme weather Artic Package? So the Artic Package is only for use through October? Makes no sense to me. All I got was sorry you can get with a dealer for upgrades to the underbelly. Um, that's what I expected when I purchased the 'Extreme Weather Artic Package'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, sorry to hear about your experience. There's so much "fake news" out there about trailers, trucks, tow capacities, weights, tires, etc, etc, etc. Thank god for these forums, at least they give a centralized location to start investigating "stuff". Good luck with the trailer.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Dude, sorry to hear about your experience. There's so much "fake news" out there about trailers, trucks, tow capacities, weights, tires, etc, etc, etc. Thank god for these forums, at least they give a centralized location to start investigating "stuff". Good luck with the trailer.

Wow that sucks! You’d think it would have come with tank heaters and an insulated underbelly. Curious as to which hose froze. Was it the supply hose from a campground faucet or were you boondocking? Camco makes a heated supply hose if it was that one.
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #23

We we're basically boondocking at a state camp ground with a generator for electric and a hand pump to fill the fresh water tank using jugs. The supply line between the fresh water tank and where it comes through the floor to the pump froze.
Cdj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #24
Sldersham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
I had a similar expierience I live in East Tennesse just bought my 2019 Alpha Wolf 26RL-L last month. The temperature was 32 degrees outside, heater would not keep the inside of the unit warm above 45 degrees I was told by the dealer to buy a portable heater. I am trying to stay positive I would not feel so bad if the dealer or manufacturer would have told me upfront what to expect. I can't wait till summer and I find out the air conditioner won't keep the unit cool in 90+ degree heat.
Sldersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #25

I can tell you from my own experience, your plans for insulating the tanks wont completely save you from freezing.

The heating pads will help A LOT, but you will also want a gap between TWO layers of insulation to effectively protect against freezing in long periods of below freezing temperatures. That thermal air gap along with heating elements should do the trick.

I tried one layer of reflectix in our under bed storage, did absolutely nothing when it comes to keeping or raising the temp. I then created a support for some thin rigid foam, creating a 1 inch gap of air in between. This completely fixed our cold weather problems.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #26

I was thinking this morning. What if you added a water circulation pump to the hot waterlines and had it on a timer to run every so often maybe they would never freeze. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7038.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	197914
Old 03-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #27

Another thought. Has anyone ever tried blowing in insulation into the underbelly? Just curious.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #28

The water circulation pump could work if hooked up to shore power but boodocking with a generator you would have to run it all night. Blown in insulation could work but it could also hide any water leaks or retain water causing potential damage to flooring.
Cdj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpha wolf