Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Alpha Wolf owners - underbelly insulation?

Did some shopping yesterday at a dealer. One of the lines I looked at was the Alpha Wolf (they didn't have the model I'm interested in, but I did a general look-see). Dealer also showed a Cruiser 'MPG' series - nice, but didn't 'wow' me.

One of the selling points for the Alpha Wolf line is enhanced / additional insulation (to the point of putting labels mentioning it on the outside storage compartment doors.)

I looked at the underbelly, and while I saw Coroplast front > rear, the salesman said the only thing underneath it is Thermofoil (-? he couldn't remember name, but knew it was a thin foil-based shielding they use in the sidewall - Reflectix? Guessing it's about 1R, if it's foil-based).

Question for the Alphas - is this all there is underneath that coroplast?

I know there was no provision for tank heaters (not a switch in the control panel / command center, and the dealer said 'no, no add-on option & no prewire).

I can add my own heaters, but some pre-wiring might have been nice, if they offered heaters as an option.

Given what's installed 'stock' in the trailer, does anyone know 'how cold for how long' the tanks / lines / valves are reasonably rated? I think I've seen FR publish something about 'zero (F) rated' (likely in the Arctic Wolf 5ers), but find it hard to believe a thin slice of coroplast along with a thin sheet of foil insulation will get the plumbing there safely.

Assume the trailer is stationary - I know all bets are off when cold air is moving underneath at speed (and would drain tanks / lines accordingly, if I were traveling in those kind of temps.)

Also did a self-guided visit in an Arctic Wolf 285DRL at that dealer. Came away...a bit disappointed. Didn't look like materials were bumped up appreciably, for the price. Maybe I'm just not a (FR) 5er kinda guy...lol.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #2

Do you camp below freezing often and for extended periods ??? Just asking ...

I have never owned a camper with an enclosed under belly and never had any piping freeze either. Most of the plumbing is inside the main box, with just the waste system underneath.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

'No' to both, although I'm giving serious consideration to parking a TT (either the one I have, or the one I want...lol) in a nice warm location this winter (say, post-Thxgiving through end of Feb.)

Before then, I might be in Yellowstone or Smoky Mtn parks in the fall - I know it starts getting colder during the nights in September (but not super cold, and it warms up the next day).

You might call me a 'belt-and-suspenders' type, but I'd rather have the inconvenience of prepping for cold, than enduring the pain of fixing broken / cracked plumbing. Once I'm out in the trailer, I don't want to have to constantly worry about the plumbing (but probably will, anyway, TBH).

Maybe it's a result of reading the many posts on this site about things that could / can / do happen...

My currrent trailer has *some* coroplast, but not full end-to-end. If I hang on to the trailer, I'll probably make it a fall project to boost the insulation (at least to 'Alpha Wolf' standards...LMAO)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

We just bought a 2019 Aplha Wolf 26DBH-L with the extreme Arctic Package and I'm telling you I did my research high and low, nothing is as insulated as this thing. We plan on using it in Algonquin Park Winter camping this late fall early winter. The floor has R27 value, R14 in the side walls and R24 in the ceiling. You're not going to get much better than that, the tanks are also wrapped in that foil insulation on top of the insulation I mentioned above. We pick it up August 31st. Looking forward to using this rig in late fall and winter. Hope this helps.
AplhaWolfHup55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeHup55 View Post
We just bought a 2019 Aplha Wolf 26DBH-L with the extreme Arctic Package and I'm telling you I did my research high and low, nothing is as insulated as this thing. We plan on using it in Algonquin Park Winter camping this late fall early winter. The floor has R27 value, R14 in the side walls and R24 in the ceiling. You're not going to get much better than that, the tanks are also wrapped in that foil insulation on top of the insulation I mentioned above. We pick it up August 31st. Looking forward to using this rig in late fall and winter. Hope this helps.
This is really good info - thank you! How did you come by it? I did search online just now on those R-values, but didn't get any hits.

If those values are legit, I suppose that's why tank heaters aren't an option?
Old 08-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #6

I originally bought a Cherokee with the Coroplast bottom that they said would help but the walls only had fibreglass R7 in them. I came across the Aplha Wolf went to the dealer and looked at it. Had a massive decal saying best Insulated, so I had her call the Forest River rep to find out what exactly the R value specs were and he told her the R values in the trailer are R24 Roof, R 14 walls, and R 27 Floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	183732  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

I figured it had to come from FR, being that specific. They should promote that - there's certainly room on that big label! LOL

Good luck w/ your new 26DBH-L, and let us know your thoughts of it after you've spent some time in it.

Meanwhile, the 23RD-L is heading up to / near the top of my shortlist.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

I thought the exact same thing.....I even thought it was bad the sales girl didn't know. But when I read that decal I asked her I wanted a trailer specifically for late fall early winter camping. She called her rep and he told her the break down. I'm super excited with our choice. Can't wait. Also the holding Tanks were larger than most other 26' TT.

Tags
insulation, underbelly