Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

ant problem in my Grey Wolf 26BH

We just purchased this trailer off season and parked it at a local storage unit...the camper itself if out parked on a huge parking lot with many others...I went there a couple of days ago to check on it and to my surprise found ANTS!!! I don't know what type of ants they are (I hope they aren't carpenter ants) but what would people recommend would be the best way to get rid of this pest now and for the future? do I use plain old household ant killer, we want to get rid of them ASAP since we are planing on camping in it for the first time in a couple of weeks...does anyone have any suggestions?
Interpreter Services NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

First, we bought a gal. spray ant killer at home depot and applied all around the camper area and especially the ant "hells" we could find. Then we placed those small round ant traps near any doors, steps, and on the tires of our fiver. Reapply the spray when you can in the future. Did the trick for us.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

did it kill them immediately or did you have to reapply over and over a long period of time...I just want something quick if possible...
Interpreter Services NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Pic Liquid Ant Killer had been extremely effective for me in ridding my trailer of ant infestations, even if they have developed a colony inside the walls. Google for sources.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #5

also get some insect pellets(tracine, misspelled) from lowe's or home depot and put on the ground under the trailer. do it heavily. it will keep them away from the area. same stuff you put on a lawn.
torroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #6

you can use Sevin dust but you would need to be real careful, is not really intended for indoor use but it does work real well!! try a bunch of the ant traps, thats what i use.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #7

I use Boric Acid pouder and sprinkle it around the tires and legs. It repley as well as kills any that tread into it. We also use it at campgrounds around the points that touch the ground.

I think buying it in this ofrm is cheaper than a fancy label with little pictures of ants on it.
Pic*Boric Acid Roach Killer III | Walgreens

can substitute Borax detergent (20 Mule Team Borax) as boric acid is of the same composition as the main ingredient in that product.
It contains 37% boric acid
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

Try using a bug bomb. I do this once a year before we start using the camper and put any food and such back in. Doing that and leaveing ant bait around the inside (also mouse baits for the normally bigger problem). This should get rid of the ants, spiders and such. Just need to remember to gather it up before you use the camper and store it, then put it back when done.
Ole Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Stored tt ----ant bait !!!!

Living here in warm, damp, humid Florida, ants are always a problem (MUST BE SNOW BIRD ANTS THAT DIDN'T GO HOME) . Serious tho, when I park my TT the ground is sandy, full of leaves. I place fire ant granules by ORTHO all around the tires, stability jacks and raise the tongue jack up off the ground. If you already have infestation, get some bug bombs (three to a pack at LOWES) set off one to start. Cover your mattress or remove them completely. Remove all pots and pan, dishes (this is a weekend job) Open all cabinets, storage areas, closets drawers. Cover your sofa with a washable sheet, cover your carpet in the area near the place where you set the bug bomb (news papers will do). Leave RV closed up at least 12 hours. Spray all floors near the walls with "Spectracide Bug Stop". Crawl under your RV, caulk all openings as much as possible (Water drains, propane lines)
If the one bug bomb does not get the job done, (known in the "hit-man world" as reloading) set off another one, wait 12 more hours before opening up. The ants are after something that is in your RV, dead rats, food, dead bird (was nesting). This is the solution that I had to contend with. I finally discovered they were traveling up the tongue jack to gain access. If your RV is a large one you may have to set off two at a time.
You have to get the "QUEEN" to stop them. Took me almost six months to rid my TT of carpenter ants, they had gotten into the fiberglass insulation, set up housekeeping and down right was partying 24/7

Good luck--"THE CARPENTER ANT SLAYER"
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Dont know the name off hand but at walmart its in a small red squirt bottle. VERY EFFECTIVE!! we had ants in the house on the kitchen table and i put down 3 drops and all the ants on the table stopped, turned, and RAN as fast as they could to the drops of stuff!! I was SHOCKED!!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #11

another good trick is to use good old fashion cinnamon around anywhere a child or aminal might get into. I have used it for over 30 years, I had carpenter ants and I sprinkled some on the opening (one was starting to come out) and poof it disappeared like magic, I alos put it on the shelves of my pantry. Doesn't look the best but no bugs to be seen.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

I havent had any ant's in my trailer but did have an ant issue in my kitchen once - I bought some Terro Liqued Ant Baits and put them on the window sill - they were gone in less then a week.

I would do a Bug Bomb (verify it say's ants too) if you suspect them in the walls - make sure to take any food and or dishes out to minimize the cleaning up after the bomb and make sure you have no gas or electric "on" the trailer and then once the Bomb is done you can air out the trailer for a few hours to get rid of the smell.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee