Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Antenna Replacement

I have a 2013 Grey Wolf with an omni-directional antenna mounted to the roof. I was at a state park the other day and only got like 1 channel with 2 sub-channels.

Is there a good replacement for this antenna that does not require cutting a hole through the roof? I guess it would have to be another omni-directional.

rfaulkner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

You should be able to replace it with a full Winegard Sensor. You might be lucky and not have to do any modifying to the existing hole. If you have to do any modifying it shouldn't be much. I suggest you read the installation instructions before you get one to see if it will be a lot of work.

See the manual below.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RVW-.../dp/B003VAZ6OG

The omni-directional antennas are crap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452013.pdf (3.15 MB, 21 views)

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

I got one of those miracle electric tv antennas for about $20 on Amazon....so far Iím happy with it. Ymmv
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You should be able to replace it with a full Winegard Sensor. You might be lucky and not have to do any modifying to the existing hole. If you have to do any modifying it shouldn't be much. I suggest you read the installation instructions before you get one to see if it will be a lot of work.

See the manual below.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RVW-.../dp/B003VAZ6OG

The omni-directional antennas are crap.
Thanks Scrapper, but I think I am going to have to stick with an omni-directional because the existing antenna does not penetrate the roof (does not rotate), and I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulkner99 View Post
Thanks Scrapper, but I think I am going to have to stick with an omni-directional because the existing antenna does not penetrate the roof (does not rotate), and I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Too bad your trailer didn't come with the batwing (the one in the link posted above).

That antenna is junk, but if you had the batwing, you could have replaced it with the King/Jack antenna replacement head for $45 at Camping World and your TV reception would have increased substantially!

https://www.campingworld.com/king-ja...ent-head-white

Best $45 bucks I ever spent on my RV!

Takes longer to climb up on the roof than it does to install this little gem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxAirWhiteAfter-P6221006.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	170386   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	170387  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

By the by...

Did you have the antenna amplifier turned on?

None of the antennas will get decent reception without that turned on.

Also, I've read where those omni-directional antennas are low enough to the roof that often TV signals will not reach the antenna through the AC unit or other roof-mounted items that may be in the way.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

I did have the amplifier turned on. It actually picked up OK in my driveway, just not at the state park.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

It's surprising the difference in reception from one site to another in the same small area of sites. Has to be the trees and position of the TT on the site. Seems like the rotation of the antenna always reaches the stop just before the picture clears up.
I always carry a compass and have a good idea where the station is so I can point the antenna close before I scan the channels

Last season, the reception went to heck, turned out there is a union on top of the roof where the inside cable and outside cable meet, sealed by dicor that was very loose and once I retightend it I had all kinds of channels. All the coax connections need to be more than finger tight to get a good ground
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

I thought about buying one of those automatic satellite dishes, but we are just weekend warriors, so I think it would be overkill.

For less money, I guess I could just buy a tripod and mount a better antenna on it, but I may still have issues since it would be too low.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I got one of those miracle electric tv antennas for about $20 on Amazon....so far Iím happy with it. Ymmv
Which one did you buy?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Actually the OMNI's penetrate the roof generally for the 12 volt power and the cable connection. Some have replaced them with the rotating Jack unit and used the same holes as well as the power and cable connection. You will have to drill through the overhead in order to mount the rotation knob and see the LEDs. No new roof holes.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Actually the OMNI's penetrate the roof generally for the 12 volt power and the cable connection. Some have replaced them with the rotating Jack unit and used the same holes as well as the power and cable connection. You will have to drill through the overhead in order to mount the rotation knob and see the LEDs. No new roof holes.
I did not know that, that would be awesome.

So is this the kit I need (says discontinued)?

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8200-A...ing+rv+antenna

Also, do I need the extra mounting bracket?

https://www.amazon.com/KING-MB8100-M...GDKC1E2GG39H25
Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

the only thing that is discontinued is the $18.00 mounting plate...now there is a $9.00 version. For that I would get it so that you can ignore the mounting pattern for the old omni and just put a ton of Dicor under it when you install it. Make sure you will be clear on the overhead to drill through and install the handle.

I researched this but then decided to install a Winegard crank up DTV antenna instead. Reviews on the Jack are pretty awesome.

here is a thread about the replacement. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...na-143159.html

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #14

No it's the actual antenna that is discontinued in my first link, but I guess that is an old model (OA8200).

Camping world shows a newer model.
https://www.campingworld.com/king-ja...al-meter-white (OA8500)
Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulkner99 View Post
......Is there a good replacement for this antenna that does not require cutting a hole through the roof? I guess it would have to be another omni-directional.
our factory installed tv antenna has never been worth a hoot, and yes, I know about the amplifier, ... pics below show very inexpensive replacement antenna that works great, and how I use a painters extension pole that will raise it up to 24' high, ... and how I bring the coax into the trailer to connect to the control unit inside, ... it has rotary function, plus a remote, ...

playing with it at home, the factory antenna located 4 channels, all very weak, ... the new one found 28 and 25 of those were strong signals, ... we took it to the cg last week where we've never been able to receive any strong OTA signals, pointed it in the same direction used at home and without re-searching again, those same 28/25 signals were picked up, ... even though we were another 18 miles farther from the towers than at home, ... we are very happy with the results that we get from this setup, ...

I use "antenna point" app to know where the towers are, ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-4K-HD...Range/56136521
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0832.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	171457   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0842.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	171458   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0843.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	171459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0844.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	171460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0845.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	171461  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
our factory installed tv antenna has never been worth a hoot, and yes, I know about the amplifier, ... pics below show very inexpensive replacement antenna that works great, and how I use a painters extension pole that will raise it up to 24' high, ... and how I bring the coax into the trailer to connect to the control unit inside, ... it has rotary function, plus a remote, ...

playing with it at home, the factory antenna located 4 channels, all very weak, ... the new one found 28 and 25 of those were strong signals, ... we took it to the cg last week where we've never been able to receive any strong OTA signals, pointed it in the same direction used at home and without re-searching again, those same 28/25 signals were picked up, ... even though we were another 18 miles farther from the towers than at home, ... we are very happy with the results that we get from this setup, ...

How did you run the coax cable into the RV? Would the coax work via the outside existing TV or cable connections?

Also where did you get the clamps on your latter?

Thanks.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEastTexas View Post
How did you run the coax cable into the RV? Would the coax work via the outside existing TV or cable connections?

Also where did you get the clamps on your latter?

Thanks.

the cable from the antenna has to get to the small control unit inside, pic #3 & #4 show that I run that cable to the propane hatch cover, ... where I connect it to an extra cable, that cable goes from there to the control unit, ... that cable allows me to place the control unit where I want it inside, ... I tried connecting it to the cable connector on the side of trailer, but it didn't work, ... the two spring clamps came from a local Tru Value Hardware, they are stainless steel, so great for this use, I attached them to the ladder supports with two conduit hangers, ... the two spring clamps(on top and bottom ladder supports) come with a single hole in the middle, one hanger might would be enough, but many times I'm guilty of OVER engineering and wanted to use two hangers, so had to drill holes to attach them to the spring clamps, ... the spring clamps are ideal for easy put-up and take-down of the pole ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	179691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0846.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	179692  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #18

Thanks
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post

If I only had a ladder rack...

Tags
antenna, replacement