Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Anti Sway vs weight distribution

Just bought a 2019 Cherokee grey wolf. Which, if either, do you guys have? I haul with a 2016 f-150 3.5 turbo v-6. Should I get anti sway bars? What is the whole weight distribution thing about?? Thanks for the help!

Tracy.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy.s View Post
Just bought a 2019 Cherokee grey wolf. Which, if either, do you guys have? I haul with a 2016 f-150 3.5 turbo v-6. Should I get anti sway bars? What is the whole weight distribution thing about?? Thanks for the help!
Read your truck's owners manual.
The towing section should tell you that a WDH is recommended for towing over a certain weight.

I own a 2014 F150 Ecoboost and i tow a 5000lbs UVW 26' TT and I would NEVER tow it without a WDH with integrated sway control.

Plenty of YouTube videos on WDHs, to educate you on WDHs.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

It is not an either/or thing.

You will need both.

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

What brand/ style did you guys use? My TT weighs 5375 lbs..
Old 07-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy.s View Post
Is that "dry", UVW or loaded?
Makes big difference.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Ignore UVW. It's a measure that stands along side leprechauns and unicorns -- pure fiction that has little to do with real-world scenarios. When you say your TT weighs a certain amount, what are you talking about? The weight of your fully loaded trailer on a certified scale? The GVWR of your trailer? An estimate? Something else?

Feel free to tell us details. For example, there are a bunch of Cherokee Grey Wolf floor plans of widely varying weights and measures. Is your truck 4WD? Regular cab, super cab, crew cab, bed length, tow package, other options? The more you share with us, the better help you will receive.

A 1/2 ton truck, especially the newer ones like you have, are well equipped from a tow capacity perspective. They are not great for payload (1/2 tons run out of payload LONG before they will towing capacity) and relative size/weight. 1/2 tons have shorter wheel bases than the heavy duty trucks and weigh less. This will make it at least somewhat more susceptible to swaying.

When you add a WDH, it will help to add stability and control during towing by distributing the trailer's weight. The specific science of how a WDH does what it does is covered very well online ... just do a google search.

Most WDH have some form of integrated sway control. This will help you with stability and control, as well. High winds, sudden maneuvers, and passing large vehicles are just a few of the things that can cause your trailer to begin to sway behind you. Anti-sway devices will help mitigate these effects.

Blue Ox and Equalizer are two of the more common brands, though there are certainly others out there. I have an Equalizer and really like it. Rock-solid stability.

Good luck.

TV: 2005 F150, 5.4L, Tow Package, 4WD
Current RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

I tow my Mini-Lite with a Nissan Frontier and I stay just below my combined gross weight on a typical trip. I have been using an Equalizer 4 point since day one, and even though I have nothing to compare it to I have absolutely no complaints. Once properly configured the setup tows effortlessly under all kinds of conditions. I wouldn't think of towing without it.

Just my $.02
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

5375 dry weight
Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

The truck is a 4x4 super crew with probably a 5-6 foot bed.
Camper has a super slide with two bunks in the back, queen size bed in the front
The floor plan I believe is a 26 DBH. Over all length is 31 ft. I think the GVW (max weight) is like 7300lbs or something like that..

Tags
sway, weight