Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Anti Sway vs weight distribution

Just bought a 2019 Cherokee grey wolf. Which, if either, do you guys have? I haul with a 2016 f-150 3.5 turbo v-6. Should I get anti sway bars? What is the whole weight distribution thing about?? Thanks for the help!
Tracy.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy.s View Post
Just bought a 2019 Cherokee grey wolf. Which, if either, do you guys have? I haul with a 2016 f-150 3.5 turbo v-6. Should I get anti sway bars? What is the whole weight distribution thing about?? Thanks for the help!
Read your truck's owners manual.
The towing section should tell you that a WDH is recommended for towing over a certain weight.

I own a 2014 F150 Ecoboost and i tow a 5000lbs UVW 26' TT and I would NEVER tow it without a WDH with integrated sway control.

Plenty of YouTube videos on WDHs, to educate you on WDHs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

It is not an either/or thing.

You will need both.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

What brand/ style did you guys use? My TT weighs 5375 lbs..
Old 07-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Is that "dry", UVW or loaded?
Makes big difference.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Ignore UVW. It's a measure that stands along side leprechauns and unicorns -- pure fiction that has little to do with real-world scenarios. When you say your TT weighs a certain amount, what are you talking about? The weight of your fully loaded trailer on a certified scale? The GVWR of your trailer? An estimate? Something else?

Feel free to tell us details. For example, there are a bunch of Cherokee Grey Wolf floor plans of widely varying weights and measures. Is your truck 4WD? Regular cab, super cab, crew cab, bed length, tow package, other options? The more you share with us, the better help you will receive.

A 1/2 ton truck, especially the newer ones like you have, are well equipped from a tow capacity perspective. They are not great for payload (1/2 tons run out of payload LONG before they will towing capacity) and relative size/weight. 1/2 tons have shorter wheel bases than the heavy duty trucks and weigh less. This will make it at least somewhat more susceptible to swaying.

When you add a WDH, it will help to add stability and control during towing by distributing the trailer's weight. The specific science of how a WDH does what it does is covered very well online ... just do a google search.

Most WDH have some form of integrated sway control. This will help you with stability and control, as well. High winds, sudden maneuvers, and passing large vehicles are just a few of the things that can cause your trailer to begin to sway behind you. Anti-sway devices will help mitigate these effects.

Blue Ox and Equalizer are two of the more common brands, though there are certainly others out there. I have an Equalizer and really like it. Rock-solid stability.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

I tow my Mini-Lite with a Nissan Frontier and I stay just below my combined gross weight on a typical trip. I have been using an Equalizer 4 point since day one, and even though I have nothing to compare it to I have absolutely no complaints. Once properly configured the setup tows effortlessly under all kinds of conditions. I wouldn't think of towing without it.

Just my $.02
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

5375 dry weight
Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

The truck is a 4x4 super crew with probably a 5-6 foot bed.
Camper has a super slide with two bunks in the back, queen size bed in the front
The floor plan I believe is a 26 DBH. Over all length is 31 ft. I think the GVW (max weight) is like 7300lbs or something like that..
Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
5375 dry weight
BS number. trailer will weigh more than that when it leaves the factory.
My TT weighs less and is shorter.
I use a 4pt Equal-i-zer and love it.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
Grammar Pedant

Your 31 foot trailer is going to weigh upwards of 6,500 lbs on a good day. I'd take a conservative view and assume something in the 6,700 - 7,000 lbs. That combination of length and weight necessitates the use of a WDH. You questions shouldn't be if you should get one, but, rather, which one to get.

For that, I'd recommend doing some searching here on WDH. As I said, Blue Ox and Equalizer tend to be the most common based on my research. But, there are others. Most offer integrated sway control and definitely skip any that don't. Also, pay attention to details like whether or not you can back up with the sway control in place.

OK, that should help answer your original question. Read up and get a good WDH. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck.

Optional Read
Finally, a final note on payload. Your WDH you buy will put about 100 lbs on your truck. Your trailer will put 12-15% on your truck, or around 900 lbs. What is the fully-clothed weight of your passengers, less 150 lbs.? For me, that's 450 lbs (my 4 people add to 600 lbs, less 150 lb allotment by Ford for the driver). Carry any bikes, generators, wood, or other gear in the bed of your truck? Do you have any other additions to the truck, such as offroad lights, grille guards and bumpers, winches, stereo gear, and such? I'll assume another 100 lbs of wood, bikes, gear, and user-added options. That totals up to 1,550 lbs of payload.

On my 2005 F150, my payload number on the door jamb is 1,315. I couldn't tow your trailer and my family, even though I'm well within the towing capacity of my truck. Payload is the limiting factor on my and virtually every other 1/2 ton truck.

You'll find your payload number on the sticker on your door jamb. I'd expect yours to be between 1,500 - 1,800 lbs, depending on the options and trim level of your truck (e.g., moonroof option takes about 70 lbs off your payload).

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Your 31 foot trailer is going to weigh upwards of 6,500 lbs on a good day. I'd take a conservative view and assume something in the 6,700 - 7,000 lbs. That combination of length and weight necessitates the use of a WDH. You questions shouldn't be if you should get one, but, rather, which one to get.

For that, I'd recommend doing some searching here on WDH. As I said, Blue Ox and Equalizer tend to be the most common based on my research. But, there are others. Most offer integrated sway control and definitely skip any that don't. Also, pay attention to details like whether or not you can back up with the sway control in place.

OK, that should help answer your original question. Read up and get a good WDH. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck.

Optional Read
Finally, a final note on payload. Your WDH you buy will put about 100 lbs on your truck. Your trailer will put 12-15% on your truck, or around 900 lbs. What is the fully-clothed weight of your passengers, less 150 lbs.? For me, that's 450 lbs (my 4 people add to 600 lbs, less 150 lb allotment by Ford for the driver). Carry any bikes, generators, wood, or other gear in the bed of your truck? Do you have any other additions to the truck, such as offroad lights, grille guards and bumpers, winches, stereo gear, and such? I'll assume another 100 lbs of wood, bikes, gear, and user-added options. That totals up to 1,550 lbs of payload.

On my 2005 F150, my payload number on the door jamb is 1,315. I couldn't tow your trailer and my family, even though I'm well within the towing capacity of my truck. Payload is the limiting factor on my and virtually every other 1/2 ton truck.

You'll find your payload number on the sticker on your door jamb. I'd expect yours to be between 1,500 - 1,800 lbs, depending on the options and trim level of your truck (e.g., moonroof option takes about 70 lbs off your payload).

Good luck.
This should be required reading for anyone wanting to buy their first trailer. The tow rating of the typical truck is very deceiving, just because you bought a vehicle with a 6500# tow rating doesn't mean you can go by a trailer with a dry weight of 6000# and head for the mountains. The limiting factor is always the combined gross weight, and that can top out mighty quickly.
Pushing the limits of a TV's pulling capabilities is like me going to a nude beach...just because I can, doesn't mean I should.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #14

I personally use a Husky Center Line. WDH and Sway Control in one. I can't compare it to any other brands but I also can't complain. I've had a few larger gusts of wind get a hold of my 274DBH and it settled the sway down almost instantly. Pretty simple to use, biggest thing is making sure you lift the trailer up while hooked to the truck to take off as much weight as you can. That makes getting the bars on and off a lot easier.

Also I was using a 13 Ram 1500 QuadCab. After crunching the numbers (not from a scale) and being very liberal with them, I was only in the positive by about 40 pounds with my payload but only had reached about 75% of my towing capacity. I upgraded to a 16 Ram 2500 Cummings and now it tows like a dream and I have plenty of payload left to go, but I know that isn't a feasible option for everyone.

Keep Your Day Dream on youtube had a very good video where he explained the differences between the numbers and how to calculate everything. Good Luck in your search and safe travels!
Bsens07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #15

Congrats on your new trailer. We bought a 2018 Grey Wolf 23MK last fall and love it. Yes, you are going to want a WDH with sway control. Without it, you're steering is going to feel soft. Couple things to keep in mind since we just went through this. WDH setup with trailer empty (i.e. at dealer) will require adjustment when trailer is loaded (I've adjusted mine twice this spring and now it tows great). The front storage increases the tongue weight when loaded (which eats into your payload), and the WDH needs to be adjusted to redistribute the add'l weight. Our 23Mk dry specs were 5100# and had a 600# tongue. After loading gear (no clothes, food or water), we were at 5600# and 850# tongue (740# per CAT w/ WDH hooked up). We use an E2 hitch (which is the little brother to the Equalizer) and the hitch works great. X2 on the payload comments. We load pretty much everything into the trailer and very little into the Durango because I'm about 200#'s under max on each axle with about 150# in the back. Weight can be managed to a certain extent (I don't haul water for example). One other note if you think you are pushing capacity - CAT scales are relatively cheap and will tell you exactly where you stand. One of these days I'll get a truck, but for now i can make this work.
Good luck and have fun.
edit: to add to what DavidBo said, our 'dry' trailer was 2100# under the 7200# tow capacity of our Durango, but with the TT loaded (without water), I'm within 400# of my TV axle capacities because of the tongue weight
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #16

WDH

I had the old friction anti-sway on a lighter trailer than current. Broke several when I FORGOT TO RELEASE THEM WHEN BACKING UP. Now towing 7200 LB. V front TT w/ Equalizer. World of difference! No longer cringe ever time a semi-truck passes me. You need a WDH that has anti-sway built in, like Equaizer. A lot of good ones out there. If you go w/ Equalizer, get the nylon pads that go over the bar hangers. People say the sound of crushing rocks goes away after they wear in. I got tired of DW and people in the camp ground running for cover as you drive thru the campground and turn. I have also found pads make hooking up easier as the bars slide on better. Good traveling!
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #17

I have a 2018 26DBH and my dry sticker from the factory is 6068 pounds...almost 400 more than the advertised weight. Your trailer should have the same sticker on the drivers side of the tongue. These are not light trailers and rather long for a half ton and WILL require both weight distribution and sway control.

You can go integrated or friction sway control but if you go with the friction be ready to muscle up to set it properly. I pull with this setup and have absolutely 0 issues with wind or from semis but I can tell you there is no way my wife could set the friction bar where we need it.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #18

I just went through the same thing the beginning of the year after we purchased our Grey Wolf, it can be overwhelming on the choices of hitches.

Many people recommended the Blue Ox and Equalizer brand, I ended up going with the Curt Trutrack for a few reasons including price and ease of setup, I am happy with it but it’s also my only hitch I’ve had

Check out Etrailer, they have a ton of information and videos, you can select certain filters to narrow your search down, they also have great customer support and prices were great
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #19

Equalizer 4 point with sway control. Pulled several TTs with it. On my 3rd 5er but will keep that hitch as it may be needed some day. Nothing better IMO.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #20

Time for pop-corn....

Let the hitch war begin again.

FWIW, my trailer is dry weight from the brochure was 5876. Actual camping weight is 6950 (RVSEF all wheel weights). Started towing it with a 2016 F-150 3.5 EB. Towed very well. I have a ProPride hitch which while one of the costliest, does a fantastic job. Trailer follows the truck like a little puppy regardless of conditions.

I do suggest you do a search on this forum about hitches. LOTS of opinions. You'll be reading for days...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight