Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Any owners of Cherokee 274DBH of taller stature?

My hubbys a bit on the taller side (about 6 feet) and I'm curious as to the comfort level of the queen bed in the Cherokee 274DBH. We were narrowed down to Grey Wolf 26DBH but just learned about it's brother, but haven't yet seen one in person.
Anyone have any experience with this model?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

We have one. My husband is 6'3. He hangs off a little bit, but isn't uncomfortable.
JBusbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #3

Great to know, thank you! I also wonder, is there any space between the foot of the bed and the wall? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to pull the mattress away from the wall at the head of the bed and put something in there as a spacer to essentially elongate the mattress a bit?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

It's possible, but there really isn't too much room. I'd say no more than a foot, but no less than 6 inches.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Oh that's actually more than I expected even at 6 inches. Thanks for the quick responses! 😀
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

I can measure to be exact, hopefully I'm not too far off. I will measure in a bit and let you know for sure!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

9"! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_204104.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	160770
Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

Wow that's great! That's going to make a nice difference! 😀
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #9

Good luck with your purchase! We love ours!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBusbin View Post
Good luck with your purchase! We love ours!
Im SO excited! Hoping to have the purchase in the works within the month! Woop woop!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Any owners of Cherokee 274DBH of taller stature?

We have the 274dbh and love it so so much. There’s lots of pros over the 26dbh, and the stuff that people tend to want to change about the 26 is already taken care of with the 274. With the minimal cost difference, you’ll be thankful you got the 274!

I’m 6’ also. My feet hang off the edge, which for me is annoying. The mattress is awful, plain awful. Before we purchased, we accepted the fact that we would have to buy a new mattress and new tires for the camper. (Check out the tire blow outs with the stock China bombs) the good news is, we have swing doors into the bedroom instead of sliders. So I made a little support on the bed frame to extend the platform out so now we can fit a full size queen in the spot. It’s snug, but way better than before. Good luck!!
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

I'm curious what you feel the pros are with the 274DBH? The Swinging Doors was a big one for me believe it or not. Also the additional windows in the slide and the larger slide.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaN View Post
I'm curious what you feel the pros are with the 274DBH? The Swinging Doors was a big one for me believe it or not. Also the additional windows in the slide and the larger slide.

The swing doors were a selling point for us also. Our dealer had the 274 and the 26dbh side by side when we were deciding. The 274 frame was about 6” taller, which helps with some of the hilly campgrounds we go too. The 274 has 15” rims instead of the 14” on the 26. Inside, the slide on he 274 is even with the rest of the floor, where the 26 is a step up. Our kids weren’t able to climb up on the kitchen bench seats with the step up on the 26. Also the water pump is located in be front of the camper by the water heater instead of under the bunk in the 26. Sounds minor, but when your kids are light sleepers, I’d rather have the pump noise under my bed instead of the kids bed. To some it might all sound minor, but we went through both extensively and the 274 just felt better engineered and made more sense for us.

If you’re on Facebook check out the Cherokee Grey wolf dbh owners page. Lots of good info from people that own them. Plus great ideas for mods or repairs. Good luck in your search!
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #14

Different camper but we pull the foot of the mattress down and put one of those long body pillows in the space at the head of the mattress. Then our regular pillows go over it and it doesn’t bother you at all. In the morning, just pull out the pillow and push the mattress back.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #15

I'm 6' and have no problems. Now the comfort of the stock mattress, on the other hand, is a problem. My wife and I both hate it. Be sure to get a thick mattress cover. I'm sure thats the case with any new campers, though. Overall love the camper, though!
adamjkuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #16

Amanda, there was another difference too between the 26 and 27 that was easily overlooked. I don't remember if it was the closet being bigger on the 27, or the bathroom layout, but 1 of the 2 was much better.

I will say I also had some issues when I bought it. 1. The water pump was broke from day 1 - would never shut off. 2. The back door would not shut, latch was broke. 3. Shower door was not adjusted properly and opened up going down the road. All were fixed on the sellers dime, and havebeorked fine ever since, but wasn't pleased having to take it to the shop a week after buying it.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjkuhlman View Post
Amanda, there was another difference too between the 26 and 27 that was easily overlooked. I don't remember if it was the closet being bigger on the 27, or the bathroom layout, but 1 of the 2 was much better.

I will say I also had some issues when I bought it. 1. The water pump was broke from day 1 - would never shut off. 2. The back door would not shut, latch was broke. 3. Shower door was not adjusted properly and opened up going down the road. All were fixed on the sellers dime, and havebeorked fine ever since, but wasn't pleased having to take it to the shop a week after buying it.
Shower door? I thought it has a curtain?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
We have the 274dbh and love it so so much. There’s lots of pros over the 26dbh, and the stuff that people tend to want to change about the 26 is already taken care of with the 274. With the minimal cost difference, you’ll be thankful you got the 274!

I’m 6’ also. My feet hang off the edge, which for me is annoying. The mattress is awful, plain awful. Before we purchased, we accepted the fact that we would have to buy a new mattress and new tires for the camper. (Check out the tire blow outs with the stock China bombs) the good news is, we have swing doors into the bedroom instead of sliders. So I made a little support on the bed frame to extend the platform out so now we can fit a full size queen in the spot. It’s snug, but way better than before. Good luck!!
Definitely wil get a good topper!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #19

Sorry, meant shower room door (to the outside). Shower door is a curtain.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #20

I'm 6'4" and fit on the bed just fine, I'm not for sure if my feet hang off as I'm used to it on every bed I lay on. I know I do scoot up as much as I can to the top of the bed just something I've always done.
As far as the mattress it sucks we actually sleep on top of two sleeping bags to help it out. And they come in handy when we have company or those below 30 nights. One of our spring purchases is going to be a foam mattress from Amazon there's a ton of companies that make them and some are short versions. We bought one for my son a few years ago and has been pretty good. We are also planning on replacing the ones on the bunk beds also since those are pretty sad.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee