Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #1

Battery got stolen which replacement do I need

Just found that my battery got stolen off our 26dbh from the storage facility where we keep it. We’re going on our trip Thursday. What kind of battery do I need to replace it. I think it came with the interstate 12v deep cycle but not sure I just know it was green in color. Is this exact one necessary or can I use any 12v. Thanks for any help.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olotti View Post
Just found that my battery got stolen off our 26dbh from the storage facility where we keep it. We’re going on our trip Thursday. What kind of battery do I need to replace it. I think it came with the interstate 12v deep cycle but not sure I just know it was green in color. Is this exact one necessary or can I use any 12v. Thanks for any help.

The Green Interstate Deep Cycle is the one the dealers all use. You can use that one or any 12v Deep Cycle RV/Marine Battery will work provided it will fit your battery tray/box.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
The Green Interstate Deep Cycle is the one the dealers all use. You can use that one or any 12v Deep Cycle RV/Marine Battery will work provided it will fit your battery tray/box.
Ok thanks.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

You can use any 12 volt battery that fits your tray.
The difference between a normal car battery, RV/marine, deep cycle will be their staying power for 12 volt accessories IF you do dry camping.

If you always camp with electric hook ups, any 12 volt will do, and for anything when you’re not connected, just think of the draw as if you were using your car battery.

Price will also dictate your choice.

Oh....and buy a locking mechanism for your battery.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Team

That Interstate battery is NOT a true deep cycle battery. It's a dual purpose marine battery.
IF you plan on dry camping or boondocking, you should consider a dual 6v golf cart batteries setup.
IF you don't, just replace it with the same battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You can use any 12 volt battery that fits your tray.
The difference between a normal car battery, RV/marine, deep cycle will be their staying power for 12 volt accessories IF you do dry camping.

If you always camp with electric hook ups, any 12 volt will do, and for anything when you’re not connected, just think of the draw as if you were using your car battery.

Price will also dictate your choice.

Oh....and buy a locking mechanism for your battery.
Yeah in hindsight I wish I could lock it up but on the tt I have it’s just a plastic box with no place to lock it down. So we never boondock, always go to state parks with electric hookup so u think just a reg 12v battery will do and it doesn’t have to be a deep cycle or rv labeled battery. That’d save me a couple bucks on something I didn’t plan on spending money on.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

I replaced our house batteries with regular 12 volt batteries.
We always camp with some form of electrical connection.......even if visiting at friends....adaptor cords down to 15amp.
I was able to purchase “maintenance free” batteries, meaning they’re sealed and need no water added for electrolytes. That’s a major advantage for me because the location of the house batteries was almost impossible to see inside for the proper levels.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 PM   #8

I have these and my batteries have not walked away yet

http://b-drvbatterylock.com

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

Stolen battery

Quote:

A girl I dated had her car battery stolen in college. Cop told her that thieves will steal an old battery and come back a week or so later to steal the NEW one.

Good luck.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
It is probably a 24 series battery
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Yeah in hindsight I wish I could lock it up but on the tt I have it’s just a plastic box with no place to lock it down. So we never boondock, always go to state parks with electric hookup so u think just a reg 12v battery will do and it doesn’t have to be a deep cycle or rv labeled battery. That’d save me a couple bucks on something I didn’t plan on spending money on.
You won't save any money using a regular battery. You're better off in the long run to just get a Group 24 Marine/RV battery and be done with it. Your rig's cables are designed for studs, not terminals like autos have. No need to purchase terminals with a marine/RV battery. Additionally, in the case that someone leaves a light on and the battery drains, the marine/RV battery is designed to be discharged and recharged. Auto batteries are not so accommodating.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #12

Battery stolen

They do make battery box locks
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #13

Get 2 6V Trojan golf cart batteries if you plan to do any boondocking.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You won't save any money using a regular battery. You're better off in the long run to just get a Group 24 Marine/RV battery and be done with it. Your rig's cables are designed for studs, not terminals like autos have. No need to purchase terminals with a marine/RV battery. Additionally, in the case that someone leaves a light on and the battery drains, the marine/RV battery is designed to be discharged and recharged. Auto batteries are not so accommodating.
A group 24 Marine/RV battery is a dual purpose marine battery, with a CCA rating, which means it's not a true deep cycle battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
RiderBloke

Battery locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
They do make battery box locks
I bought a set of bars (from someone on the forums who made them I think) a few years ago. They are two identical bars that fit together under the battery and have holes for a lock at the top. They work well.
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replacement