Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
Please explain hang diver. Is it the controller, I noticed the like k you posted was with the wonderer controller. If the difference is roughly $50 that's not bad if it's worth it. Either way I can't buy it anytime soon since I have 3 young ones and the holidays used up any extra cash I had so it will have to wait. Honestly probably til March or so since I won't be using the camper until we get warmer weather.
For solar panel systems under 400W (again, mine is 200W) a PWM controller is all that you need. For Renogy solar panel systems, a Wanderer or Adventurer PWM Controller will provide 4 stage charging: Bulk, Boost, Float, Equalization. These charging capabilities will boost your batteries charge when low, then "float" and equalize the charge when nearing fully charged batteries. The Renogy system like other solar systems work independently of your RV converter - the solar system will add a charge to your batteries when other systems are not. Here's a link to Renogy solar controllers: https://www.renogy.com/blog/cost-eff...wm-technology/
Lastly, I also had a lot of questions when trying to figure this out. Ask away.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #22
Scoundrel

I realize I may not have answered your question re: controllers.... Both the Wanderer and Adventurer have the exact same fucntionality. The Adventurer has the advantage of being "flush mounted" on the wall of your camper. Photo of the Adventurer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040507.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	158933  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 12-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #23

Let me again say thank you for all your info, it's been very helpful. I think my understanding of the controllers is clear. I didn't notice at first that the solar kit I had posted was with polycrystalline panels and the kit hangdiver mentioned had molycrystalline. After doing a lil reading last night I think the poly takes to partial shade better, where as moly is better in undisturbed sun light. Is that correct??
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
Scoundrel

Quote:
After doing a lil reading last night I think the poly takes to partial shade better, where as moly is better in undisturbed sun light. Is that correct??
Generally yes however bypass diode technology helps to mitigate partial shade on monocrystalline panels. For me at least the benefits of improved efficiency of monocrystalline panels outweighs any partial shade issue. Having purchased, installed and used this system for a while now, I would make all the same choices again.

Good luck with building whatever system you decide to use!

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 12-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
Site Team

With the lower panel costs it basically comes down to mounting space. If you have the mounting space, you might be better off with an extra poly panel. If space is limited, you will get more power from your space with mono.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #26

So after a bit of thought I think I'll do the more expensive system, the one you had posted. For only $50 more for a better quality panel seems logical.
So as I understand I could keep the panels hooked up for the whole week when I'm away working and everything would be ok. And use them to keep the batteries topped off when I return for the weekend, if the clouds cooperate. In which I would also keep them hooked up during winter. Basically having the panels permanently wired. If this is true would the system be ok while plugged in to the tow vehicle or plugged into a generator/ shore power??
Old 01-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #27
Scoundrel

Quote:
So as I understand I could keep the panels hooked up for the whole week when I'm away working and everything would be ok. And use them to keep the batteries topped off when I return for the weekend, if the clouds cooperate. In which I would also keep them hooked up during winter. Basically having the panels permanently wired. If this is true would the system be ok while plugged in to the tow vehicle or plugged into a generator/ shore power??
Yes. Install the system and forget about it. Your batteries will always be topped off regardless of what other power sources your connected to.

Good luck.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #28

Regarding installation
I'd have to mount the controller inside the camper right?? Is there a portable controller that is weather proof so I won't have to put holes in my camper. I don't want to mount them to the camper and I'd rather have a portable system. My concern is one camping at different locations so I could maximize charging. And two or main camping location (our property) my camper is in the shade most of the day, probably from noon till dark.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #29
Scoundrel

Quote:
Regarding installation
I'd have to mount the controller inside the camper right?? Is there a portable controller that is weather proof so I won't have to put holes in my camper. I don't want to mount them to the camper and I'd rather have a portable system. My concern is one camping at different locations so I could maximize charging. And two or main camping location (our property) my camper is in the shade most of the day, probably from noon till dark.
For my set-up I wanted to install the panels permanently on the roof of my TT, and so I did not research portable systems and am not familiar with connection options. Probably a question for Renogy. And you're right: running wires the shortest distance through the camper was the biggest challenge of the installation.

Wooden Spoon Survivor

Tags
battery, maintenance