Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 AM   #1

Battery on a 274DBH

Hopefully someone can help me out. I am going to be doing some dry camping this summer and need to install a 2nd battery. Has anyone had experience with this before? Do I need to do anything special? I am going to run the battery's in parallel.

Also the battery that came with my camper is junk. What is everyone using for battery's on their campers? I also plan on installing a battery disconnect switch for when it's parked.

Thanks for any feedback!
dvdj2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
Site Team

for best results, you need to have a exact matching pair.

also, two 6v golf cart batteries will be the best setup for dry camping but 6v are paired in series, not parallel like 12v.
if you plan to use the one you already have, it's best to find another one just like it, brand and size.

do you understand that dry camping is more than just batteries? how will you deal with excess gray water? how will you refill fresh water? will you need an inverter to recharge electronic devices or run the tv?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
for best results, you need to have a exact matching pair.

also, two 6v golf cart batteries will be the best setup for dry camping but 6v are paired in series, not parallel like 12v.

if you plan to use the one you already have, it's best to find another one just like it, brand and size.

do you understand that dry camping is more than just batteries? how will you deal with excess gray water? how will you refill fresh water? will you need an inverter to recharge electronic devices or run the tv?

I plan on getting 2 brand new identical batteries. I've dry camped before I realize all the other things that go along with it. My one issue I've had is with the batteries, that's why I'm asking so I can get better results hopefully.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #4

We have 2 6v batteries in series with a total of 240 amp hours. Its the best set up - doing dual 12v in parallel greatly reduces the life expectancy of your batteries. We have dry camped and had no issues. We grabbed our batteries from Costco.

2014 Dodge Ram 2500 - tow vehicle

mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

I myself have dual 12v intestate batteries. Last year when we purchased our camper it was or first one and didn't know as much as I do now. When I bought our camper the dealer gave us a $1000 gift card for their store, and not knowing what to get I bought another battery same as I had. This was a waste, but I'm making the best of it while they still work. Having dual batteries is only as good as your weakest one so it's better to buy them at the same time with the same dates. So it makes no sense to buy just one now. I also second the 6v a lot more power and last longer and are made for draining and recharging over and over. When my two batteries aren't doing the job I will be buying 6v, and I could tell you with just one season on them they don't work as good as new and I take good care of them. I'm currently saving for a portable solar panel to plug into the solar port on the side a lil more expensive but I don't wanna put more holes in my camper than I need to. I hope this helps.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

I have a 274dbh also. I have two 6V interstate batteries from Costco. Great set up. If you have the USB ports, they’re ran off the 12v side. We’ve purchased a few items like a small fan with usb to use when we’re dry camping. Enjoy!
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 AM   #7

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated!!

Tags
battery