Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

Battery question

Does anyone know if these batteries that come with the TT have a trickle charge so that when the TT is plugged into a power source it will supply at least a minimal charge to the battery, or do I need to pull the battery? Thanks.

khoush1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Most of them have a trickle charge.

However, if you're going to be storing it some time and want to preserve the battery, disconnect the negative battery cable or put a disconnect switch on the battery.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Gotcha - thanks. Actually we'll be staying there in our campground through the winter so it will be "stored" but the TT will be in use. So you're thinking pull the negative anyways?
khoush1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

I always pull the cables when I leave to make sure theres no draw while not in use. If you want a faster charge from what you get while plugged in I found a separate battery charger works better and faster. Unless you use the other features while plugged in, like fridge air/heater outlets or whatever. I personally do what people call boondocking in which we have no access to power or water. We use as lil power as possible no fridge heater only if it goes below freezing and lights only at night with the occasional movie for the kids when they are ready for bed oh and charging the tablets during the day. I would run a generator for hours to charge the battery with the camper plugged in and only a few times would get it back to a 100%. Decided to try the charger I keep the batteries on during the winter months and di it in a few hours. I since have bought a solar panel and will never turn back. Our last trip was an exception because it was well below freezing (low 20's) and rainy all day (no sun) heater was killing the batteries and couldn't charge back up. The second and third night I plugged into my buddies generator to help out the batteries because it went into the teens.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoush1228 View Post
Gotcha - thanks. Actually we'll be staying there in our campground through the winter so it will be "stored" but the TT will be in use. So you're thinking pull the negative anyways?
Install a total battery cutoff regardless. No need to mess with cables, makes life easier. When we are staying multiple weeks at hookups I will ensure batteries are fully charged and then turn them off with the battery disconnect. Then every six weeks or so I will turn the batteries back on and let the converter top them off for a day or two and then disconnect them again.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #6

When actually using the camper I leave my battery connected all the time. This serves as a backup to the 120 volt supply in case of a power loss. With a loss of power the fridge will automatically switch over to propane power and this requires 12 volt power to operate. 12 volts also powers the lights and heating thermostat (and fan.) This way we are not left in the dark with a 120 volt power failure plus the fridge continues to operate even if we are away at the time.
But, in storage, I flip off the switch that I installed on the negative cable.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #7

Battery disconnect best thing I did

farmboy6180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery