Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Black tank not completely emptying on my cherokee

I have an 06 wolfpack, and my black tank will not empty all the way. If i crawl under adter i dump and hit the tank it isscar from empty. The gauge inside reads 1/3.

I have to dump, then go home and fill the black tank with about 20gal of water from the garden hose. The I back down the ditch of my "private road into my farm" so my tank is tilted towards the rear/drivers side....then dump it. There Is ALOT more sewage that comes out.

I have tried filling the black tank with 10-15 gal of fresh water before I use the black tank, but Nothing seems to help. Does anyone else have this problem?

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Don't rely on the gauge!
more than likely its empty and the probe has toilet paper on it
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
I have tried filling the black tank with 10-15 gal of fresh water before I use the black tank, but Nothing seems to help. Does anyone else have this problem?
Agree with what f1100turbo said! You should also top off your black tank before you dump it. This aids in evacuation of the contents.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In my tt I used to fill black tank up before dumping.
now with my new 5er it has a black water flush so I don't have to do that anymore.
one thing you can do if you have a place close by to dump is.

1. Fill tank half full and then dump a couple bags of ice down the toilet. Then drive around awhile then dump. Ice chunks tend to clean off debris.

2. Drop in a few packs of black water treatment packs fill up tank and let sit a few days then dump. Works better if its hot hot tho.

Good luck
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #5

sometimes the issue isn't the tank, but where you are dumping. Some campgrounds don't have a level area at the dump site. This will cause some product to remain in your tank. If you need to clean the tank, dump five pounds of ice and a black/grey tank cleaner in before you head out on your next trip. The ice will bang around in the black top knocking and anything loss. Stop at the dump station prior to setting up and empty the tank. You may be surprised by how well this works.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

never trust the cheap tank sensors. they are famous on every RV forum for their inaccuracies.
if you need to rely on them, upgrade to some aftermarket ones, like Horst's.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

OK, here is my two cents:

1) The 5th wheel Gray and Black tanks face AFT; not to the side. Even though the outlet is on the side of the camper, tilting to the side actually ensures you will not dump all the contents. For a complete dump you must have the nose of the 5th wheel higher than the rear bumper. (see photo)

2) Note the photo of the sensors. The lowest wire is the 1/3 full light. A single flush or bottom sludge will turn this light on. Not 1/3 of a tank of liquid.

3) If you do the above and can't get a clean dump (only E light on), then you should treat your tank with a full quart of RV-Digest-It for 48 hours using the instructions on the bottle; fill with water till the full (F) light is on and dump.

www.rv-digest-it.com

4) If that STILL does not work for you, try Horst Probes. See this thread for instructions on how it is done.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1-a-12710.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	8040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 008.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8041  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

I think the real problem is the "belly" in the bottom of the tank. depending on how it is mounted the tank usually has a low spot, mine does! I just use my flush and it gets all the junk out, however I always have a sewer hookup.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #9

some of you are thinking i am solely relying on the 1/3 tank light being on and ASSUMING my tank is not empty. read my original post again. after dumping and letting it drain until nothing is coming out, i lay on my back underneath the tank and push on it. it is still heavy and not hollow sounding. i then fill the tank damn near all the way up with my garden hose and go dump again. i am not dumping with a hose down into a sewer, i am dumping directly off the drain heading and into the ditch. it is quite obvious that it isnt just water coming out...

i do have a tank flush port, and when using this no water even comes out until after about 5 min because it is all soaking into to "****" still on the bottom of the tank. as the poster above mention, his looks like a bubble on the bottom....as does mine. it is lower in the middle than on the outside by the drain valve.

i have let the toilet run for ~10 min before i go to dump thinking that the extra water would aid in moving the solids out. however, i have not had good luck with that either. the only thing that seems to work is filling it all the way up with a garden hose, backing down the ditch so the rear, drivers side is quite a bit lower than the rest, and them dumping. the water and debris coming out makes it look as if i never even dumped it yet...

Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #10

and by the way....what does that flush port actually do? is there some sort of nozzle inside the tank to disperse the water to various areas, or is it just a hose that drains right into the tank?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
some of you are thinking i am solely relying on the 1/3 tank light being on and ASSUMING my tank is not empty.
Check my post step 3. I saw your comment about stuff in the tank.
Go right to the Digest It.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
and by the way....what does that flush port actually do? is there some sort of nozzle inside the tank to disperse the water to various areas, or is it just a hose that drains right into the tank?
Depending on the unit installed at the factory, some have a rotating spray head and others have a nozzle that shoots water out under pressure.

There is a one way "anti-siphon" check valve in the line (usually right above the port. If it was not there a full black tank could siphon black water out of the hose fitting.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Depending on the unit installed at the factory, some have a rotating spray head and others have a nozzle that shoots water out under pressure.

There is a one way "anti-siphon" check valve in the line (usually right above the port. If it was not there a full black tank could siphon black water out of the hose fitting.
that check valve is actually on the interior of my camper. it is under the cabinets in the bathroom. i am looking directly at it when i sit down on the throne. hopefully that baby stays in "check".....because i dont want it siphoning into my bathroom!

Tags
black tank