Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

busted Awning

I have a 28bhks with a sunchaser awning. After last camping trip, we noticed that the left side of the awning frame doesn't retract flush with the other support arm. See pic below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	183353

I purchased an extended warranty when purchased the 2012 Cherokee Greywolf 28bhks earlier this year. Should I schedule a service to see if the extended warranty will cover this? Or does someone know is this will be covered?

alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

It looks like the brace part of the awning isn't fully entering the main awning arm.
I don't know what procedure you use when closing it, but if, when your retracting/closeing the awning are you letting it close slowely?
If so, try letting the last 2 feet of the awning close rapidly. Sometimes the main awning arm has to "ride over" the top of the brace arm.
Also, in the position shown in your photo, try "lifting" the main arm and see if it snaps over the brace arm. Sometimes it's only a matter of 1/2 inch/ 1 inch to let it operate properly.
Also, when you close the awning do you have the awning strap centered between the arms? If it's off to one side, it may not close evenly.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

I don’t see anything busted ? I see a awning that is not fully retracted.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

We have tried everything that was suggested to us from other campers at the time. And the Awning would never fully retract. There was even another Greywolf with the same awning at the campground we stayed at. They even tried to retract the awning, with the same result. So it was suggested that I take it in for service. And maybe under the extended warranty, for repair.

alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

If the fabric has slid to one side a little or the arm is slightly bent they can get stuck when the arm tries to go over the other one. See if you have any missing paint on the arms of see if someone can pull the arm to the side that isn't going all the way back in. May did your problem.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Before you take it in check the wording in your extended warranty. Check if the awning is covered and if that includes adjustments.
And, also check if there's a deductable. If there is, it may be more than the adjustment would cost..
Manual awnings are simple things, and if there are no bent arms or braces,and the fabric itself hasen't shifted, it may just need a simple alignment or tightening of hardware.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #7

The fabric only has to be out of line by as little as 3/8-1/2” . A stiff breeze at the right angle can shift the fabric enough for the arms to not align.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning